Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dealing with caged foes  (Read 619 times)

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dealing with caged foes
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:31:17 am »

I recall sometime reading that a caged prisoner can be stripped of weapons and armor, but I can't find how to do it. Can someone refresh me?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dealing with caged foes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:34 am »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:28:50 pm »

d-b-h to hide all objects in the square which is a convenient way to mark all of the prisoner's possessions.  Check the Z-Stocks menu for your weapons and find the one that is marked hidden.  Unforbid it and mark it for dumping.  Do this for all equipment you want removed.  Now go back and d-b-H to un-hide everything so that you don't forget you had a prisoner.

I personally just disarm them, because them wearing armor makes them last longer at the firing-range.  Marksdwarves get 30xp per shot at a live target compared to only 6xp from shooting at a built one.

Alternately, you can equip your military with wooden weaponry and bludgeon them to death.  Basicly you want them to stay alive for as long as possible.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

dgnslyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:15:21 am »

I tried ordering my Axelords to execute the prisoners, seeing as I already have a fully functioning Danger Room, but they just stand around the cage...

Can you execute things inside cages? I know you can shoot caged creatures, because the goblin bowmen killed a donkey that way after it passed out on a cage trap and was trapped.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:24:57 am »

I tried ordering my Axelords to execute the prisoners, seeing as I already have a fully functioning Danger Room, but they just stand around the cage...

Can you execute things inside cages? I know you can shoot caged creatures, because the goblin bowmen killed a donkey that way after it passed out on a cage trap and was trapped.

Creatures can die of their wounds while in a cage, but you can't attack a caged creature unless you remove it from the cage, or toss the cage into magma.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:02:55 am »

I do it a different way d-b-c to un-forbid and to claim all the equipment then d-b-d and do the same rectangle to mark everything to be dumped. with the quantum dump pile located next to the trade depot, I d-b-c to un forbid the dump pile and without unpausing order the goods to be brought to the trade depot, obviously this is done when the traders arrive. Anything not selected for trading will be sorted into their respective stockpiles as hauling is available. The cages can be undumped with d-b-D before you remove the buildings, so that the cages do not go to the dump pile.

The prisoners, I put em all in 1 cage, with enough stored up I'll place my military on the path to safety (lots of weak stone fall traps everywhere) and pull the lever and watch the goblins all run the gauntlet only to have the last 3 or 4 survivors to get recaged. I think I had 3 get away out of 50 last time. Clean up the bodies, rebuild the cage and link it to the lever, demolish the rockfall traps and reset the defenses to kill instead of hurt.