Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!  (Read 17289 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2011, 08:03:50 pm »

In fact, I think some of the bugs lend a sort of quirkiness to the game that makes it fun.

While a popular opinion, it's not exactly a sane one nor will it make you any friends.  :P
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »

Bethesda's games, for example, are so buggy that one wonders if they think 'quality assurance' is some lovecraftian concept, and the Sims 3, which I have been playing, has ingame world-simulation that completely kills the gamebalance(let the game run for a day and everyone but the active family is either dead or a vampire). It's so bad that many players are using a mod that replaces the system entirely. And even then that game has bugs that can corrupt your savegame.
'Someone else has released a buggier game' is not a valid excuse.  Nor is 'everyone else is doing it, like totally man'.

No bugs are disturbing to me as I never use hospitals.
Nor is 'I don't use the parts of the game that are affected by bugs so they totally don't count'.
Yeah, but Sims 3 had an entire staff working on it. Dwarf fortress is non-commercial, free and has two devlopers.
Considering the complexity of this game, a couple of bugs are to be expected and of course require no excuses.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:35 am »

'Someone else has released a buggier game' is not a valid excuse.  Nor is 'everyone else is doing it, like totally man'.
It's, however, a fantastic way to say 'please act a bit less like the world has ended' and 'physical limits, they exist'. I mean, I really really want some UI and graphics improvements, but I'll probly have to wait longer for those then waiting for that one bug to be squashed. (Toady's more... a bullfrog then a toad I guess)
And I'm not so much arguing this in favor of Toady, I'm just saying that if you take a step back, you might be able to avoid a burn-out from this.
Can you show source - I believe you but I am interested where you found this.
@bugs - I see that I am spoiled by OpenTTD devteam.

Okay,  thought I could have one of those nice written sources, but I can't. I learned about it during a lecturing on bugtesting, from my ludology teacher.  Considering that was last year, and I don't have him for this year, to get his source, I would need to corner him during some lunchbreak. The assignment for that year, however, was to get a game and find about 150 bugs and file them. No team failed.  /Does a bachelor's in game design.

Also, last thing, to the people who count this stuff. How many of these bugs are mentioned to be 'can't be reproduced' by Toady? Because if he can't reproduce them they just can't be fixed, right? Another reason why you should be extra precise when reporting.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2011, 03:02:36 am »

It's, however, a fantastic way to say 'please act a bit less like the world has ended' and 'physical limits, they exist'. I mean, I really really want some UI and graphics improvements, but I'll probly have to wait longer for those then waiting for that one bug to be squashed. (Toady's more... a bullfrog then a toad I guess)
And I'm not so much arguing this in favor of Toady, I'm just saying that if you take a step back, you might be able to avoid a burn-out from this.
I can see how 'lol why r u guys so mad about this' makes for a tempting argument, but it only takes a few moments to read the thread for anyone to realize that this is a straw man.

Yeah, but Sims 3 had an entire staff working on it. Dwarf fortress is non-commercial, free and has two devlopers.
Considering the complexity of this game, a couple of bugs are to be expected and of course require no excuses.
I'm sorry that Sims 3 was a poorly written game, but that still does not excuse letting the bugs pile up to the point that gameplay is left suffering.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2011, 04:15:14 am »

My pet peeve is legendary soldiers having all their labours disabled from time to time.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Huw_Dawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2011, 06:35:59 am »

I can see how 'lol why r u guys so mad about this' makes for a tempting argument, but it only takes a few moments to read the thread for anyone to realize that this is a straw man.

I'm tempted to call troll, but I'll simply summarise a good "you are wrong because" with an analogy in the form of a PLAY.

RANDY and HOWARD are talking normally next to a tall tree. (Audience should not hear the conversation) There is a sound of birdsong in the background. After a few seconds, DAVID is jumps out of the tree and lands on RANDY, knocking him to the ground.

RANDY: (Shocked, stunned, on floor) What the hell?!
 HOWARD: (Shocked, at same time as Randy) Wha?
 DAVID: (Picks self up off ground, points dramatically at RANDY) I saw you! Breathing like that!
 RANDY: What?!
 DAVID: YOU HEARD ME! (Kicks RANDY in stomach) You shouldn't be breathing! You should be better than that!
 HOWARD: (Grabs DAVID by scruff of neck) Now listen here punk, I don't know what the f-
 RANDY: (Getting up slowly, breathless. HOWARD is interrupted by Randy, who puts a hand up) David, you're nuts. We had this discussion yesterday and I said then that-
 DAVID: IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S A FUNDAMENTAL REQUIREMENT TO LIVE! YOU SHOUDN'T DO IT!

I hope you can see the analogy.
Urist takes over shop
Materials he has not
Pants now adorn halls

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2011, 07:01:56 am »

Huw... I'm kinda lost in your analogy... :-[

I was just trying to say that the people complaining about so many bugs in the tracker might be exaggerating a teensy bit(because honestly, 3000 isn't that much)? And that perhaps they should take a step back? Moderation for the win? I don't know? Maybe?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2011, 07:37:55 am »

Huw... I'm kinda lost in your analogy... :-[

I was just trying to say that the people complaining about so many bugs in the tracker might be exaggerating a teensy bit(because honestly, 3000 isn't that much)? And that perhaps they should take a step back? Moderation for the win? I don't know? Maybe?
I have no idea what Dawson is trying to convey, but I'm sure it makes perfect sense in his mind somehow.  As for the discussion you and I are having, let me summarize:

Other games have shitloads of bugs, deal.
'Everyone else is doing it' is not an excuse.
I'm just saying don't burn yourself out over it.
Implying that anyone is that upset about it is misrepresenting our position and really has no place in any reasonable discussion. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man)
Stop exaggerating and calm down is what I'm saying.
See, you did it again.  I don't think anyone is upset here, except maybe Dawson.  I stand by what I've written, and if someone else is exaggerating with weird statistics, direct your comments to them, not me.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2011, 07:57:38 am »

Oh, now I'm getting it, I was using general 'you' and you took that as you yourself. My bad, I'll use 'people' from now on.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2011, 09:43:35 am »

Oh, now I'm getting it, I was using general 'you' and you took that as you yourself. My bad, I'll use 'people' from now on.
I tend to do that when the previous sentence was directed squarely at me, quoting me and everything, yes.  But like I said, I don't think anyone else is upset either, we simply do not all share your point of view.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2011, 07:42:17 pm »

Right then...

These are the only bugs immediately... uh... bugging me... assuming they're still around. I haven't paid enough attention to the most recent bugfixes. :-\

*- Bring wagons back... This is probably about to happen, actually...
*- Get medical dwarves to care for the sick and injured properly... instead of leaving Urist McInjured to suffer because they felt a need to skip chunks of the medical process. (This still happening?)
*- For that matter, I would love to see my medical dwarves actually take an interest in helping the infirm, instead of sitting around in the dining hall for a week or more before noticing that Nist McCrippled is missing a leg...
*- Crutches being assigned has already been mentioned.
*- Tholtig McArmorsmith cancels everything: Having no job next to the forge complex that's flooded with undone jobs.
*- This might be a touch unreasonable, but supposing pathfinding was modified to consider actual distance instead of dwarves assuming they can just phase through the floor when they're deciding what's closer?
*- I am PROUD that my dwarves are so quick to give each other food or water, but I wish they'd wait until the receiving party was injured, since I frequently have dwarves sitting in the drinks stockpile waiting to drink because an overenthusiastic hauler decided they needed water. :o
*- Has the bone decoration obliteration thing been fixed?
*- If you watch this post, it might get longer. ::)
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2011, 03:27:20 am »

I'd also like to note that necks and throats, according to Captain, are implemented in a fairly weird manner, just sort of dangling off the head and not attached to anything but the head. I know Toady implemented some fix tag for this recently, but I don't understand that, since, to my understanding, the problem has been fixed by modders through the normal body system, in a way that's actually more effective than the tag is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2011, 03:19:39 pm »

Elves having male "Queens".

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2011, 03:40:54 pm »

Elves having male "Queens".

Not technically a bug, is it?  More like an unintentional "feature." lol

I mean, unless it REALLY makes you that uncomfortable. :D
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2011, 05:12:29 pm »

Much of the above, especially the contaminants and healthcare bugs.  As for personal peeves, I'd dearly like to see the pets-trying-to-path-through-pet-impassible-doors bug fixed.

In fact, I think some of the bugs lend a sort of quirkiness to the game that makes it fun.

Game breakers aside, I think there's truth in this.  Dreaming up work-arounds is all part of the challenge.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9