Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Severed Arms and Miasma  (Read 929 times)

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Severed Arms and Miasma
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:55:16 pm »

Ok, so my most recent and so far most successful fort just simultaneously fought off a goblin siege, a miserable noble and a moody dwarf.  The only problem I have is that my freshest recruit managed to lose both of his arms in the battle.  Now the arms are sitting in my entrance causing miasma and it doesn't seem like there's anything I can do to get the dwarfs to take them out to the refuse stockpile.  The arms aren't forbidden, and I don't want to flag them for dumping because that would most likely send the arms deeper into my fort.

On a somewhat related note after 5 years of life the units list for my fort seems to be tracking every goblin I've killed and every animal I've butchered, is there any way to clean this up?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severed Arms and Miasma
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:00:30 pm »

Lazy solution: wait for them to rot down to the bones.
You can also try to assign a tomb to the soldiers the hands might be put into the coffin. Or make sure you have enough room in your refuse stockpile, but then again i doubt dwarf parts go there, you might try designating a stockpile for corpses (or is it called graveyard stockpile) outside.
The fastest solution would still be to remove all your indoor dump zones and make one outside and dump designate the hands.

on #2:
No.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »

"Corpses" adds corpses of sentients who aren't your dwarves.  There should be one called graveyard for those who are.  Allowing them to rot would be the quick and dirty solution, but usually dwarven parts will go in the refuse pile.  So, check if your pile has room.

As the other guy said, right now there isn't a way to deal with two.  One of the suggestions on the eternal suggestion list I think is to add filters for the unit list (since it would be nice to not have to scroll down 5 pages of "Attend Party" to get to my military dwarves anyway).

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:07:51 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention, Stumpy survived the battle.  If I didn't have alerts along the lines of "Stumpy cancels store own item: Too injured" I'd let him sit around and tell the younger dwarfs about how bad he's had it.  As far as I know he never actually went to the hospital, he went from pale to faint and now he's trying to pick things up.  I'm currently arranging an unfortunate accident for him so I don't have to get the update every time he wants to pick something up.

Could it be he's trying to pick up his own arms and no one else is going to help out with that job?

And my refuse pile has enough room, just double checked.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »

You need a graveyard pile, not a refuse pile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:24:54 am »

You need a graveyard pile, not a refuse pile.

a 'corpses' pile to be precise.
i think this was renamed in 0.16 to 0.18

Starmantle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 01:26:49 am »

"Severed Arms and Miasma" would make a great heavy metal band name...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 06:00:36 am »

Designate a second garbage dump zone and then dump them. Dwarves will dump to the nearest zone designated.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 06:32:23 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:08:31 pm by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 06:32:53 am »

Add the grasp tag for dwarf mouths, and Stumpy will have purpose again.

As for the arms? Magma.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:08:49 pm by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 07:18:29 am »

If you don't fancy killing him it's a good idea to forbid any clothes he has lying around or you get loads of Urist McArmless cancels store owned item: Inaccessible as he repeatedly tries to pick stuff up.  I left my armless dude with no jobs so he just hung out in the meeting room, became really sociable and was elected mayor.

If you do want to kill him it's pretty easy as he's totally 'armless.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:16:15 am »

Or, you know, pretty hard cause he can't pull levers.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:17:52 am »

/whoosh

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 09:48:12 am »

If you don't fancy killing him it's a good idea to forbid any clothes he has lying around or you get loads of Urist McArmless cancels store owned item: Inaccessible as he repeatedly tries to pick stuff up.  I left my armless dude with no jobs so he just hung out in the meeting room, became really sociable and was elected mayor.

If you do want to kill him it's pretty easy as he's totally 'armless.

...OW, dammit! That hurt!
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?