Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oh, the steel, is in my grasps!  (Read 2861 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, the steel, is in my grasps!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 07:20:24 am »

imo steel is not worth the effort it takes.
unless you have a huge military (say 50 dwarves) which i have no idea how you could use you can armor everyone with better stuff with the same amount of work invested.

i only use it later on when i make some oscillating spike trap halls or decide to draft&armor the entire fortress to reduce civilian deaths.
If "same amount of work invested" implies "gen worlds with 100+ z levels of semi molten rocks, reveal where exactly to dig, dig around all possible hostiles with perfect tunnels, safely tap on lava on the way and manipulate moods for legendary smiths" then indeed, steel has a more complex production chain then spoiler rocks.

i was judging by the time you need to start producing armor. for me, its near the end of first winter for both steel and spoiler. i wasn't taking moods or worldgen into account at all.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:34 am »

Yeah different playstyles have different times when Steel and SpoilerStuff become available. For me, Steel is accessible by the end of the first spring and I don't touch the SpoilerStuff until an unknown time later - I don't want to waste any of it with low-grade armoursmiths, whereas Steel is so abundant (though labour intensive).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 12:05:50 pm »

Steel is just awesome. I always try to have a ridiculous amount made because you can use it in all sorts of armour and weapons.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 01:36:07 pm »

Another thing to consider is that caravans often bring huge amounts of wood for very little cost and love it when you buy it all off of them. 

I'm on a map with few above ground trees, so initially I was pretty stingy with wood and kept a lot stockpiled (no sedimentary layers either; it's a volcano map, so I was worried about my ability to mass produce steel).  Because of the stockpile, I wasn't getting any wood from the humans/elves.  The solution was to forbid all the wood I had in stockpile around the time caravans show up.  The caravan doesn't recognize that you have any wood, so they bring tons.  It's a good way to keep wood on your stockpile but still get more, if you're some kind of paranoid crazy wood stockpiler... or something.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 01:38:19 pm »

Steel is good for blunt weapons and armor , i think you should go with another metal for the edge weapons.
Anyways its the best common metal you can make ,
Don't take the risk to take the *cotton candy* and release the *clowns*
Desu

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 03:37:53 pm »

I was utterly disappointed when my masterwork steel maces would glance of some oversized bronze statue.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »

Well, maces are, in my experience, underpowered hammers, so that's understandable.
くコ:彡

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 06:53:16 pm »

Forbidding wood makes caravans bring more?????? OMG that's awesome I had no idea! Does it really work?

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 09:02:07 pm »

Steel is good for blunt weapons and armor , i think you should go with another metal for the edge weapons.
Anyways its the best common metal you can make ,
Don't take the risk to take the *cotton candy* and release the *clowns*

Actually, steel makes better edge weapons than most other metals. Blunt weapons would be best made out of silver, since it's the heaviest metal you can use for weapons without a mood.

Steel is still excellent for armour though.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 09:09:09 pm »

Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! Look around you. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?

Contemplate this... on the Tree of Woe
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:49 pm »

Steel does make good blunt weapons. It has a higher critical wound chance than silver, but silver is better at penetrating armor, which is the whole reason you want blunt weapons in the first place. Maces are smaller than war hammers, so I think they can be swung faster, but with less force per hit.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »

I've got everything needed for steel making, but, how good is it, exactly?
It is better than Iron and worse than Adamantine. That is exactly how good it is.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 10:39:04 pm »

It is better than Iron and worse than Adamantine. That is exactly how good it is.
In armor aspects your comparison is more accurate.  But, for weapons it is better than bronze and worse than Cotton Candy. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 10:40:55 pm »

I currently don't make steel because I am learning the ropes and need to get the hang of certain things before I start pumping it out. However, I have a "Always have magma at surface" embark policy right now, so flux is rare for me and steel is imported.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 10:41:38 pm »

In armor aspects your comparison is more accurate.  But, for weapons it is better than bronze and worse than Cotton Candy.
Yes, Bronze is better than Iron now.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3