Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Oh, the steel, is in my grasps!  (Read 2860 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh, the steel, is in my grasps!
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:15:44 pm »

I've got everything needed for steel making, but, how good is it, exactly?

I HAD TO BREACH CAVERN FOR TEH FLUX

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, the steel, is in my grasps!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:30:59 pm »

It's like warm apple pie.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 06:52:28 pm »

Only more Fun.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:08:26 pm »

IIRC, Steel is the second best metal for just about everything in the game. Makes great armor, decent hammers, good swords and axes. I don't think it's terrible at making any one thing, either.

Basically, having steel makes you ready for just about anything.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 07:22:20 pm »

With icecream?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:28:10 pm »

My military dwarves get steel coffins.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:32:09 pm »

My military dwarves get steel coffins.

Ditto. I make sure to encrust them with gems depending on type of dwarf =D ^^
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:57:46 pm »

For a more serious response, steel is probably the single most useful resource in the game.  You can make near-infinite amounts of it, as opposed to cotton candy which has a very limited supply and is a high-risk mining operation.  Besides HFS, no enemies have armor that outclasses steel, so dwarves in full steel armor will usually have little trouble fending off sieges (you'll need cloaks to protect their necks, but that can't be made out of steel.  Yet).  There are two main issues with steel:

1.  It is quite heavy, so dwarves who have low armor user skill and a lot of steel armor on will move somewhat slowly, but sparring or danger rooms will quickly rectify that.

2.  It can be very resource intensive to create.  You have to use two iron ores, 2 fuel, and two flux stones over 4 total smelting jobs to create two bars.  If you don't have magma smelters, you'll need another 4 fuel per two bars, which means you'll need 1 iron ore, 1 flux and 3 fuel per bar.  If you have access to lignite or bitumous coal, or have a lot of trees on your embark (the caverns help here), fuel shouldn't be too much of a problem.  Usually I'll just set a smelter to do "Smelt iron ore R, make pig iron bar R, smelt iron ore R, make steel bars R," which with infinite fuel (wood burners on repeat charcoal, or another smelter making coke) shouldn't be a problem.  Another thing to consider is that caravans often bring huge amounts of wood for very little cost and love it when you buy it all off of them. 

Anyway, good luck and have Fun with your newfound resource.

Starmantle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:23:12 am »

Well-said Namfuak.

(erm - 2nd answer, not the first)

I tend to build my entire economy around steel by mid-game.  I especially love it when one of my founder dwarves "like steel," and I make them into my weapon/armor smith.  It's indispensable for armor and weapons, and if you make steel serrated blades, you'll have some of the most powerful trap weapons in the game that will also insanely increase the value of a room and can be sold of large quantities of just about anything you'd want. 

As for the steel coffin idea - I love it.  I'll have to do that one..., though I rarely take the time to get a good metal worker. 

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:27:05 am »

I tend to build my entire economy around steel by mid-game.  I especially love it when one of my founder dwarves "like steel," and I make them into my weapon/armor smith.  It's indispensable for armor and weapons, and if you make steel serrated blades, you'll have some of the most powerful trap weapons in the game that will also insanely increase the value of a room and can be sold of large quantities of just about anything you'd want. 
I build my economy around gold. Gold tables, gold statues, even gold sarcophigi. All steel goes into armor and weaponry.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 01:58:36 am »

It is quite heavy
Steel density: 7850
Iron density: 7850
Bronze density: 8250
Copper density: 8930
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 02:16:27 am »

Steel goes to the under classes, the squad with the coolest name get armor and blades of the finest adamant, will fully stocked rooms made of the same material.

You haven't lived until you own a cabinet worth 1.2 million dollars.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:17:13 am »

imo steel is not worth the effort it takes.
unless you have a huge military (say 50 dwarves) which i have no idea how you could use you can armor everyone with better stuff with the same amount of work invested.

i only use it later on when i make some oscillating spike trap halls or decide to draft&armor the entire fortress to reduce civilian deaths.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 06:41:29 am »

imo steel is not worth the effort it takes.
unless you have a huge military (say 50 dwarves) which i have no idea how you could use you can armor everyone with better stuff with the same amount of work invested.

i only use it later on when i make some oscillating spike trap halls or decide to draft&armor the entire fortress to reduce civilian deaths.
If "same amount of work invested" implies "gen worlds with 100+ z levels of semi molten rocks, reveal where exactly to dig, dig around all possible hostiles with perfect tunnels, safely tap on lava on the way and manipulate moods for legendary smiths" then indeed, steel has a more complex production chain then spoiler rocks.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:12 am »

(you'll need cloaks to protect their necks, but that can't be made out of steel.  Yet)
Can be modded in if you really want to make terminator armoured soldiers.

Also, Steel has the exact same value as Gold because this is medival tech level where humans have yet to figure out how to make Steel. Of course, the exact value will change depending on who you're trading with in the next version.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2 3