Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37

Author Topic: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia III - Game over: Dark Sorcerers win again!  (Read 90589 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia III - Day 1: Revenge of the Limerick
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2011, 04:15:34 pm »

Of course I would try to organize assists, but I'd be subtle about it by playing well and "scumhunting". Thus encouraging others to assist me. However, I would do the same as town. I've never played a sorcerer's mafia, but it just seems like a bad idea to outright ask for assists. You should have to earn them through gameplay and actions.

Unvote. But to everyone who isn't scum the choice of who to assist is completely random. How would you get apprentices to your school by being subtle about it?

Limericks are worse
Than haikus, Jim, though I fail
At composing both.

Nice questionless random vote there. Also way to call me an asshole. It's like you're trying to piss me off.

Ummmm an explanation just in case it's not so clear: were I scum what advice would you give Jokerman?

Strange question. Are you scum? Further, how does whatever advice Jokerman-EXE give you help determine whether he is or is not scum?

KaminaSquirtle, I'm too lazy to randomvote you in a limerick. You won last game as scum. What lessons did you learn?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:17 pm »

Taco Dan, who would you most and least want as sorcerers?
Well I'm kind of new with the whole Mafia subforum community having only been in three basic games, so I really don't know.
I'm leaning towards Toaster for most because I know he has a lot of experience both being in games and running them, and I definitely choose me for least because I'm a newb.

OK Owl, I have a question to fire back at you: If you could choose scumbuddies, who would you choose?

Also the limericks are already getting old, guys. You wore the joke out already during the last page.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2011, 04:27:55 pm »

FUUUUUU-  Just lost my post due to misclicking.
I only have about 20 minutes now, I'll write up what I can.  Sorry, no time for limericks.  More to come tonight.

KaminaSquirtle, who would you most want on your scumteam?
Jim, since he's a strong townie, and that's exactly what scum needs to be.

vadia, why do you think you shouldn't assist today?  As in, why you specifically?
I'm 90% sure you're either scum or a sorcerer.  (Or both.)
Toaster, do you think these limericks are just for fun or are some sort of trap?
Hey, that's an interesting thought, the limericks being related to a sorcerer power.  It doesn't really fit with the elemental theme though.
Probably not.
PPE:
KaminaSquirtle, I'm too lazy to randomvote you in a limerick. You won last game as scum. What lessons did you learn?
A few: Lurking really does kill town.
The best way to play scum is the exact same way you would town.  Even if that means bussing a scummy partner.
Being active also helps with being scum.
You should kill the strongest townies first, regardless of who they were voting or attacking beforehand.  The only exception being when they have valuable info, or a powerful role.
And finally, no one is a guaranteed townie, no matter how townie they may have seemed.  It was like everyone had written me off as a townie.  Obviously, I wasn't one.

And that's all I have time for now.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2011, 04:40:47 pm »

Truly Jim, to be scum I had some hope
Of becoming -- in a different scope
Playing With beginners
Scum would be grinners
And I really don't think I should answer that second question until Jokerman answers mine -- he hasn't yet, has he?

(translation) I hoped I'd be a scum in beginners mafia, but I'm not  :-X Oh well. 

Squirtle -- if that is your name
I am new to this here game
becoming more complex
like getting a hex
will bring nor fortune nor fame

I wanted to avoid having a power for a bit so I could get used to the game; pretty simple, no?
I also thought that if the idea was mine maybe you'd not want me to vote.  But since I didn't get that sorcerers don't have a vote as Zathras pointed out my idea goes into the trash.

Hey Jim, what do you think of Albert B. Rampage's Guide to Focusing on Scum and Getting them Lynched
http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Albert_B._Rampage%27s_Guide_to_Focusing_on_Scum_and_Getting_them_Lynched

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »

Rhymeless if you prefer: if you were scum, would you prefer to be an apprentice or a sorcerer and why? If you were a scum Sorcerer, would you encourage zero, one or both of your scumbuddies to support your school, regardless of any proposed plan?
If I had my pick of scum roles, I'd pick apprentice, to make blending in easier.
Discounting if I had a powerful tier 3 spell, If I was a scum sorcerer, and support for an assist plan was high, I'd probably encourage both buddies to support the same town school (assigned to one), to skew the plan results in confusing ways.

Nirur is reasearch of much use
of putting scum on the noose
reading Sorcerer one
was it much fun
or skip'd with some lame excuse?

Translation
Nirur do you research other players and have you read sorcerer 1?
Not usually, and no. I really don't have the patience to compare behaviors between games.

Zathras, since you asked me about a plan: Do you feel that the risk of the plan-coordinater being scum is worth it?

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »

Of course I would try to organize assists, but I'd be subtle about it by playing well and "scumhunting". Thus encouraging others to assist me. However, I would do the same as town. I've never played a sorcerer's mafia, but it just seems like a bad idea to outright ask for assists. You should have to earn them through gameplay and actions.

Unvote. But to everyone who isn't scum the choice of who to assist is completely random. How would you get apprentices to your school by being subtle about it?

Ah, didn't think of that. Since they wouldn't know what my school is. Can you false assist? If so, I would "assist" my school and hopefully play well-enough so that others are encouraged to join me.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2011, 05:07:49 pm »

Hey Jim, what do you think of Albert B. Rampage's Guide to Focusing on Scum and Getting them Lynched
http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Albert_B._Rampage%27s_Guide_to_Focusing_on_Scum_and_Getting_them_Lynched

What the hell do I care about some person's guide? I already know how to play.

Now that I've read it, I object to it heavily. It's a guide that encourages tunneling, which has been on more than several occasions a severe obstacle to a town victory. Zathras in the first Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia is, I say, the quintessential example of why you should never, ever exclusively focus on somebody until they are lynched.

The solution to getting people to vote your target isn't to POUND HIM WITH EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT UNTIL HE CRACKS, it's to get more convincing arguments. It's such a brutish way to go about scumhunting anyway, relying on verbal force instead of experience and intuition.

Ah, didn't think of that. Since they wouldn't know what my school is. Can you false assist? If so, I would "assist" my school and hopefully play well-enough so that others are encouraged to join me.

Apprentices assist privately. Announcing what assist you're going to make, given the history of this game, will probably be interpreted as an attempt to garner support for your scum school.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2011, 05:30:54 pm »

OK Owl, I have a question to fire back at you: If you could choose scumbuddies, who would you choose?

Also the limericks are already getting old, guys. You wore the joke out already during the last page.
Zathras and Jim; both experienced, intelligent, active scumhunters.

On a related note, I attempted to respond to this in limerick form. I failed, much to your satisfaction.

I wanted to avoid having a power for a bit so I could get used to the game; pretty simple, no?
I also thought that if the idea was mine maybe you'd not want me to vote.  But since I didn't get that sorcerers don't have a vote as Zathras pointed out my idea goes into the trash.
What makes you think the bonus from assisting is a power, and why did you want to consciously avoid having one?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2011, 07:17:19 pm »

Zathras and Jim; both experienced, intelligent, active scumhunters.

On a related note, I attempted to respond to this in limerick form. I failed, much to your satisfaction.

because my pm from 2face said so?
What makes you think the bonus from assisting is a power, and why did you want to consciously avoid having one?

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2011, 07:25:48 pm »

Irony -- Hmm, thought I typed this: because my pm from 2face said so?
Which reminds me:

This plan is stupid; I know,
So Y'all will tell me so
I cannot scry
the reason why:
but our roles we could show.

Stupid idea, but I'm brainstorming; we all reveal our roles.  then we vote for benevolent spell levels only. 
side positive; If we quote our pms then we could figure out a scum who miswords the quote.  [don't know if this is a no-no.)
non-negative:  I'm 100% positive that if the scum are any good they know 1 sorcerer.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:37 pm »

If we quote our pms then we could figure out a scum who miswords the quote.  [don't know if this is a no-no.)
You are not allowed to quote PMs from me. Paraphrase, yes. Quote, no.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2011, 07:30:25 pm »

If we quote our pms then we could figure out a scum who miswords the quote.  [don't know if this is a no-no.)
Is this a here rule or all the time rule in MAFIA?

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2011, 07:45:02 pm »

I don't know how I will catch scum -- I'll probably make a lot of NOOB mistakes.  I'm gonna start out by asking advice and maybe somebody will be tempted to give me bad advice.

Jokerman No need for your help
Since I am an innocent whelp
But what's your advice
if "scum" said the dice
How do you (a scum) yelp?

Ummmm an explanation just in case it's not so clear: were I scum what advice would you give Jokerman?

Okay, first: like Jim asked, how does this help you determine? Secondly, why do you believe I would be giving you bad advice?

If you and I were scum (as I assume you're asking), then I would tell you to play like town - that is, ask questions, push around, and generally be active and attacking. Then I would make sure you and I are going in opposite directions, so that it's hard to put us together. After that, it would depend on the situation.
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2011, 07:45:32 pm »

Is this a here rule or all the time rule in MAFIA?
It's a rule probably 98% of the time. Apparently I missed it in the OP the first time earlier, it's there now (in Rules).
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2011, 07:50:50 pm »

I don't know how I will catch scum -- I'll probably make a lot of NOOB mistakes.  I'm gonna start out by asking advice and maybe somebody will be tempted to give me bad advice.

Jokerman No need for your help
Since I am an innocent whelp
But what's your advice
if "scum" said the dice
How do you (a scum) yelp?

Okay, first: like Jim asked, how does this help you determine? Secondly, why do you believe I would be giving you bad advice?

If you and I were scum (as I assume you're asking), then I would tell you to play like town - that is, ask questions, push around, and generally be active and attacking. Then I would make sure you and I are going in opposite directions, so that it's hard to put us together. After that, it would depend on the situation.

Actually I'm not sure what I was looking for, I thought I'd soft-ball the first question so that other questions might seem more innocuous.  The one to Jim was a hope that he'd support in any way the way he died.  I'm suspicious of nirur for his question about Zathras's limerics in that he limiriced through sorcerer 1 and even here mentioned it. 
So nirur how would you mislead me to act against my fellow townies?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37