Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia III - Game over: Dark Sorcerers win again!  (Read 90617 times)

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia III - Signups [5/9+]
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 07:39:13 pm »

whu?

Whu what? Dude, I know this is your first game, but you should pay attention or read some older games before you jump head first unprepared. The lurking policy is at the top, and you read it and responded to it; the limerick comment is about the first Sorcerer's game, which is also linked at the top, and which you should read (it was great fun, and it will give you some understanding of the mechanics of the game you are about to play); it also includes details about Jim's plan-making career, to which he also alluded above when he wondered if it was breakable (though a different plan was more successful in the second game).

I don't mean to be a jerk, but reading and extrapolating from context are integral parts of the game; if a pre-game comment leaves you "whu?" then it may be premature for you to join this until you complete the BMXIX game, for which you've also volunteered. Just sayin'.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 07:46:20 pm »

Regarding the breakability of the game, I think Jim referred to the latest iteration of his fucking goddamned plan last game, which did have some impact in figuring out the scum school (having a sorcerer power of investigation of support helped). It doesn't break it, but it does game the system somewhat. We'll see if it makes sense this game, but I preemptively reserve the right to give him shit for it.

What is the plan?
You sound pro the plan until the last line in which you seem to totally dismiss the plan.  Where did that comment come from?
Does this mean you want to go with this plan, but only half-heartedly?

As to your last post:
Where is this plan -- I'd look it up were there a link or whatnot. 
I plan to read through some posts but this is going a little deep into the background for me to jump into without any information.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia III - Signups [6/9+]
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 07:52:09 pm »

The Fucking Goddamned Plan © refers to Jim Groovester's efforts to organize the town in both Sorcerer's Apprentice games, with the general idea being that he PMs everyone telling them to support a certain school, and we get data based on how many votes do or don't fall in line with the plan. Needless to say, the plan was met with a fair amount of suspicion both times.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 07:55:42 pm »

why pms?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 08:00:57 pm »

Would have been great the second time when he had an ability that could verify if people were telling the truth.  Of course he ended up dead first, so it goes.

If anyone has any suggestions for people to recruit, I'm all ears... There's unfortunately little activity on the board as a whole right now. :(
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 08:08:15 pm »

why pms?
So everyone has less information. If you just say out loud "You there assist X you there assist Y," scum has a decent idea of how much support everything's supposed to have. If you just get a PM in the dark saying "Your job is X," you have to think long and hard about how obvious it'll be when you do Y instead.

I'd love to in, but I'm also strongly considering Supernatural, and I'm not sure if I wanna do both. :-\
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »

Where is this plan -- I'd look it up were there a link or whatnot. 
I plan to read through some posts but this is going a little deep into the background for me to jump into without any information.

There is a link, in the post of me to which you reply. It even says "which you should read". So read it. There is no one post with it, it was a plan that evolved through discussion through D1 that game. Seriously, you should read that before you decide you want to play the third version of that game. It was not successful on the first game. The second game, the plan was different, and as Janus said had some magic support, so you should read that game too (it's linked on the Original Post). I say I reserve the right to give him shit for it because we had a lot of back-and-forth about it game one, which was endless fun.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 08:22:21 pm »

What really was endless fun was how you singlehandedly lost the first Sorcerer's Apprentice.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 08:33:59 pm »

What really was endless fun was how you singlehandedly lost the first Sorcerer's Apprentice.

It sure was, wasn't it? Not only that, I ruined your perfect no-lynch record! TONS of fun. 8-P

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 08:40:32 pm »

why pms?
So everyone has less information. If you just say out loud "You there assist X you there assist Y," scum has a decent idea of how much support everything's supposed to have. If you just get a PM in the dark saying "Your job is X," you have to think long and hard about how obvious it'll be when you do Y instead.

I'd love to in, but I'm also strongly considering Supernatural, and I'm not sure if I wanna do both. :-\

Kinda like mastermind?

But what if the leader is scum?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 08:46:14 pm »

Kinda like mastermind?

But what if the leader is scum?
That's why he got so much shit for it.

Quote from: Zathras
Org and JetSquirrel and IronyOwl
Banded together with purposes foul.
      Poor Zathras, too dumb
      to point out the scum,
rightfully earns the Town's angry scowl.
Teehee, found this again. The constant limericks really were awesome that game.

In fact, screw it, I'm in. The lurking policy alone is enough to intrigue me.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia III - Signups [7/9+]
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »

When is the game starting, assuming you hit the minimum soon?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 08:58:01 pm »

Oh, why not?  I haven't been in a game recently.  In.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 09:01:25 pm »

When is the game starting, assuming you hit the minimum soon?
Waiting for the minimum first.  :)

Is there something in particular that you would like me to wait for?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia III - Signups [8/9+]
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »

Not really- just considering my game limit.  Assuming you're not starting until at least tomorrow, I'll think about it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37