Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 quick questions...  (Read 483 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
2 quick questions...
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:44:41 am »

1. What is the labor for building walls?

2. What does a war giant eagle do? Apparently they're great, but what do they do? Do they as war animals roam across the map killing enemies? Or do they fly above somebody when assigned?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: 2 quick questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 04:51:05 am »

1) Masonry. The hot-keys are  b => C => w ... that's a capital C.

2) They fly, and attack enemies within their sight. Think of them as a very strong flying war-dog.
Never pet a burning dog.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:31:45 am »

Do they have to be assigned to somebody? Or just on training?

Bah, elves only brought one :(
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:29:41 am »

you can leave them to roam unassigned, they act like an unassigned dog and will attack anything that happens to get spotted.

assigning war animals to a dwarf is a good way of making sure that they engage along with your troops, however the death of an assigned war-animal is treated like the death of a pet when it comes to the dwarf's thoughts
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:48:07 am »

The labour for building walls is masonry for stone and glass (possibly soap and coke bars too), carpentry for wood and metalworking (I think all four will do, otherwise just blacksmithing) for metal bars.

Constructing anything will not give a dwarf any experience though

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:57:08 am »

Bah, elves only brought one :(

If you're really wanting to breed giant eagles, you should put this eagle in a cage so it doesn't roam around and get itself killed. Check its sex and wait for the elves to bring you a second eagle of the opposite sex. When this is done, uncage both eagles in a small room with a locked door, appropriate mood lighting and extensive stockpiles of pillows, champagne and eagarettes. Turn on Barry White.

Remove when golden brown or when eagle flesh stops sticking to the toothpick. You will want to make sure you have enough giant eagles to eliminate any reliance on elves for your supply of them. Elves are ruthless businesssapients.

Constructing anything will not give a dwarf any experience though

This is not true; some [b] -> [C] constructions give experience in their associated skill... but, er, I don't recall which. The amount is very small, but there are some situations where it matters.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:59:01 am by Funburns »