Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What events sparked great imaginative images for you.  (Read 1418 times)

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
What events sparked great imaginative images for you.
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:05:12 am »

One event was from the my first time i broke into the caverns and a giant vomit man made a b-line for the opening.  In my head i saw this disgusting thing of vomit in a vague human shape just throwing a miner into the wall and ripping a dog in half and while blood pours out from the dog a farmer comes by and is in the wrong place at the wrong time and has his head smashed in.  When the vomit man comes to the main cavern hallway i see a group of poorly trained, poorly armored, and scared shit recruits staring at it in horror.  As the vomit man charges at them he takes one of the recruits and picks him up and throws him to the ground and starts strangling him while the other recruits poke it with bronze sticks finally killing and raising their swords in a heroic display of heroness.  While the dwarf that was being strangle is being carried to the hospital by his wife she is saying "Your not going to die on my today!" until he gives his last breath.

Well that was one of my events that sparked a very vivid image now post yours.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: What events sparked great imaginative images for you.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:10:47 am »

When my Hammer dwarf got his hand broken (stepped on) by a draltha, causing him to drop his hammer. He then BIT THE DRALTHA'S LEG OFF.
That makes some awesome imagery, In my honest opinion.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:13:14 am »

You must have a great dentist then

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:20:30 am »

You must have a great dentist then

Damn straight I do. My entire medical team is awesome. I forgot to mention how this dwarf had his chest ripped open by the dame draltha. He has no illness at all now. He has gone on to get around 60 more kills in under a year, too.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 04:01:28 am »

Whenever I kill a Giant Olm, I basically imagine it exploding into thousands of pounds of meat. I sort of imagine Olms to be like brontosauruses, that explode at the slightest touch.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Lupus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:29:17 am »

One event was from the my first time i broke into the caverns and a giant vomit man made a b-line for the opening.  In my head i saw this disgusting thing of vomit in a vague human shape just throwing a miner into the wall and ripping a dog in half and while blood pours out from the dog a farmer comes by and is in the wrong place at the wrong time and has his head smashed in.  When the vomit man comes to the main cavern hallway i see a group of poorly trained, poorly armored, and scared shit recruits staring at it in horror.  As the vomit man charges at them he takes one of the recruits and picks him up and throws him to the ground and starts strangling him while the other recruits poke it with bronze sticks finally killing and raising their swords in a heroic display of heroness.  While the dwarf that was being strangle is being carried to the hospital by his wife she is saying "Your not going to die on my today!" until he gives his last breath.

Uh how did a creature made of vomit do that? they are notoriously easy to kill

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 05:03:55 am »

A legendary axedwarf, slaughtering four trolls in quick succession (dismemberments mostly) while also beating down a bunch of goblins. Guy made 10+ kills in that single siege.

A hammerdwarf who got hit by an arrow in the back of his upper leg and kept giving into pain managed to kill two ogres as they were about to enter my fort. Both were severely injured by my weapontraps (menacing spikes :D) so the odds were somewhat evened out. I imagine it looking like a tangle of screaming wounded furballs desperately trying to kill eachother.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:29:22 am »

I imagine all my dwarves doing this whenever they beat back a siege and yelling drunken jibberish.

Also any attacks are filmed in my head with Lord of the Rings cinematography. It's pretty great, what with the lava and the arrows and the axes and goblins and such. Favorite ones include a single goblin rushing a single axelord, the axelord shield bashing the goblin back then in one fluid spinny thing, hacking off its foot, arms, and head. Another really good one is a squad of axelords rushing several squads of goblins, zooming out the mental camera, and watching several goblin parts flying over the crowd.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 10:37:22 am »

I had a giant skinless monkey with a twisted horn kill 2 dwarves.

Both of which he did by grabbing their entire head in one hand, the rest of their body in the other, and separating the two from their respective counterparts.

edit: Now that I think about it, he probably just grabbed their entire beard in one hand. A dwarf would rather die than lose their beard.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:39:23 am by darkrider2 »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:52:08 am »

This literally just happened, and I'm reeling from the realization.

I started a little fort on a prime location: a junction of two streams into a minor river, with a volcano just to the side, and sand everywhere. Savanna biome, with elephants and leopards for icing. I'm building a megaproject right over the river junction (special trap tower I've designed and want to see how it works; draws water up from the river and then dumps it out the sides to wash any invading force right off like a bad case of fleas) and have just a little hole in the side of the volcano to house my 80 dwarves. No defenses whatsoever, just some cage traps set to catch elephants to start a meat industry.

Spring of the third year, the outer wall and ramps of the tower are 2/3rds complete (Using SPEED:0 because I can't be bothered to wait and deal with the inevitable tantrum spirals from the dwarves living in a muddy little hovel for 10 years while their fort is built brick by green glass brick; did I also mention I am not digging below z-1 by choice?) when the first titan appears:

The Forest Titan Senama has come!  A gigantic quadruped composed of rutile.  It has two long, hanging tails and it has an austere look about it.  Beware its webs!

Sonovabitch. Quick burrow designated, everyone inside, replace the double doors with a 2x2 raised bridge. Manage to get everyone in and the bridge up while the titan chases around a few stray animals. Upon getting in and seeing the titan kill the dogs and such, I decide to bring the fight to it. Seven dwarves chosen at random become a rag-tag militia force. They find weapons and armor where they can (I haven't made anything except for some elephant bone-and-leather bits) and charge the beast, some with no weapon at all. The militia commander, a retired hunter (retired because he wouldn't stop killing elephants while I was trying to catch them) is still looking for a weapon and isn't with the charge.

The other soldiers hold the beast for a time, with the three armed dwarves ripping up every part of its stony body, but to no avail. Sword, mace and spear each fall as the dwarves are destroyed one by one, and the titan stands above the corpses a moment, screaming its victory. It begins to head for the vulnerable fortress.

But lo! The commander has found a bismuth bronze axe, and seeing his fallen comrades behind it lets loose a great bellow and hurls himself at the beast, his axe swinging madly! One cut removes a tail, another its foot! The titan cannot keep up with the onslaught of this lone dwarf, and is forced to the defensive! Finally, with a grimace of hatred bordering on insanity, the commander drives his axe through the beast's midsection, and its halves slump to the ground with a sound of grinding stone, the life gone from the monstrosity.

Exhausted from his victory, the commander hefts his axe and starts back toward the camp, where a new party is picking up steam, no doubt to honor the brave warrior and his fallen friends. Yet just as he sets foot on the threshold, a movement in the distance catches his eye. He looks to the hill in which their home is carved, and green skin and iron coverings cause the hairs on his neck to prickle.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Gritting his teeth and hefting his axe, he turns away from the partygoers and tells them to keep a barrel of ale ready for his return. There is hunting yet to be done, he declares, and sets off to meet the charge.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Doc_LaKock

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken bones? Brb soap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:16:17 am »

This literally just happened, and I'm reeling from the realization.

I started a little fort on a prime location: a junction of two streams into a minor river, with a volcano just to the side, and sand everywhere. Savanna biome, with elephants and leopards for icing. I'm building a megaproject right over the river junction (special trap tower I've designed and want to see how it works; draws water up from the river and then dumps it out the sides to wash any invading force right off like a bad case of fleas) and have just a little hole in the side of the volcano to house my 80 dwarves. No defenses whatsoever, just some cage traps set to catch elephants to start a meat industry.

Spring of the third year, the outer wall and ramps of the tower are 2/3rds complete (Using SPEED:0 because I can't be bothered to wait and deal with the inevitable tantrum spirals from the dwarves living in a muddy little hovel for 10 years while their fort is built brick by green glass brick; did I also mention I am not digging below z-1 by choice?) when the first titan appears:

The Forest Titan Senama has come!  A gigantic quadruped composed of rutile.  It has two long, hanging tails and it has an austere look about it.  Beware its webs!

Sonovabitch. Quick burrow designated, everyone inside, replace the double doors with a 2x2 raised bridge. Manage to get everyone in and the bridge up while the titan chases around a few stray animals. Upon getting in and seeing the titan kill the dogs and such, I decide to bring the fight to it. Seven dwarves chosen at random become a rag-tag militia force. They find weapons and armor where they can (I haven't made anything except for some elephant bone-and-leather bits) and charge the beast, some with no weapon at all. The militia commander, a retired hunter (retired because he wouldn't stop killing elephants while I was trying to catch them) is still looking for a weapon and isn't with the charge.

The other soldiers hold the beast for a time, with the three armed dwarves ripping up every part of its stony body, but to no avail. Sword, mace and spear each fall as the dwarves are destroyed one by one, and the titan stands above the corpses a moment, screaming its victory. It begins to head for the vulnerable fortress.

But lo! The commander has found a bismuth bronze axe, and seeing his fallen comrades behind it lets loose a great bellow and hurls himself at the beast, his axe swinging madly! One cut removes a tail, another its foot! The titan cannot keep up with the onslaught of this lone dwarf, and is forced to the defensive! Finally, with a grimace of hatred bordering on insanity, the commander drives his axe through the beast's midsection, and its halves slump to the ground with a sound of grinding stone, the life gone from the monstrosity.

Exhausted from his victory, the commander hefts his axe and starts back toward the camp, where a new party is picking up steam, no doubt to honor the brave warrior and his fallen friends. Yet just as he sets foot on the threshold, a movement in the distance catches his eye. He looks to the hill in which their home is carved, and green skin and iron coverings cause the hairs on his neck to prickle.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Gritting his teeth and hefting his axe, he turns away from the partygoers and tells them to keep a barrel of ale ready for his return. There is hunting yet to be done, he declares, and sets off to meet the charge.

This makes my beard glow with envy.
Goblins have no sense of humor. Therefore clowns hate them.

ObiWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »

It was in adventure mode. I was attacking an encampament, and went straight to the leader. Someone crossed in my path, so I stabbed him through the chest, pulled out my sword and kept walking. Then another one tried luck, but I looped of his arm with a single blow, and then again, kept walking. I finally reached the camp leader and an epic duel started, while my companions battled the rest of the brigands around me.

PS: Sorry for the grammar and such, I'm not a native english speaker.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 02:26:19 pm »

Vomit man was enoug of an image for me.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »

Uh how did a creature made of vomit do that? they are notoriously easy to kill
i was surprised too but he killed 5 war dogs and a recruit and made everyone in the vicinity dizzy.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 04:47:31 pm »

In my last fight against about 2 goblin ambushes at the same time and another one heading from the other side of the map (I had been hiding from a siege for ages, training up my militia). The brave warriors go forth, and start to wreak havoc not even taking a hit (good thing too, there were lashers) but then a 4th ambush group appeared! 5 spearmen led by a lasher.
Goden Pinksaints, the great macedwarf, leaps to counter and immediately slew the lasher with a great smash which caved in the face of the goblin. However, this great effort put her off balance and it was her turn to catch a weapon to the face, this time a spear. The sharpened tip ran all the way through with a sickening crunch. The closest dwarf, Thob Manorelders the axedwarf, turns around and gasps in horror barely having time to bring his guard around to try and block a probing spear point of one of the goblin's friends but it he isn't quick enough. The spear connects almost squarely piercing his breastplate and his lung. He barely manages to stumble away to safety protected only by the charges of two of the three remaining dwarves in the fight: Godon's two Macelord training partner's.
At this point the ambush group that had to travel across the map arrives and the dwarves fail to see the real danger until to late. The first realisation of this new group is when Kel Parchedhame, the captain of the swodsdwarf squad, falls over clutching a bolt that has lodged in his heart confirmed again a second later when Thob falls over, a bolt in his leg. The group was more spearmen led by a crossbowman.
One of the macelords breaks off and quickly kills him, but both are then pushed back by the sheer numbers against them. 10 to 2 requires a special kind of dwarf that neither of the dwarves were. Within seconds both dwarves were running for their lives sporting great injuries to their arms (ability to grasp lost/ motor nerve damage :(). All seems lost until a new recruit bearing his axe joins the fray.
By all rights Dodók Covenbasements should have done nothing to turn the tide. All he should have done is help speed up the inevitable tantrum spiral that should have followed. But make a difference he did. Jumping on the front most goblin he hacked furiously at his head until it finally smashed to little pieces (no decapitations for you!). This so graphically violent display obviously shocked even the goblins so much that all of the remaining ones promptly retreated. With only a contemptuous sneer he calmly turned back and returned to the fort to the cheers of the forts inhabitants and even a group of migrants that arrived at that precise time. What is more amazing is that because of my mega(ish) project, he was already a legendary mason. Let's see if he can survive long enough to get legendary with his axe!

The funny part later though, with both macelords in hospital with similar injuries in beds next to each other, the chief medical dwarf takes one look at them both and says "You call them injuries? Man Dwarf up and get back to training!" and strode out without giving any further 'treatment'.
Pages: [1] 2