Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dizzy Kitties (and other syndromes)  (Read 1084 times)

DwarvenScience

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Surgeon, Legendary Consoler
    • View Profile
Dizzy Kitties (and other syndromes)
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:56:12 pm »

I was recently seiged by several squads of goblins accompanied by a good sized force of trolls, which I managed to crush without too much hassle apart from losing a well trained Macedwarf and Swordsdwarf from my militia. It was after this seige whereupon a number of my commoners and pets were slaughtered while strolling about on the surface plucking flowers that I noticed a significant proportion of the cats in my fortress are dizzy.

I thought this was quite unusual, it doesnt seem to be fully restricted to cats as a few of the many many stray dogs that clutter my streets serving no other purpose than to piss me off and lower my FPS are dizzy too. There seem to be no other ill effects aside from the aforementioned dizziness. This current fortress is a cavern-city so I have had a fafir few FBs come traipsing through, the last two have had noxious vapors and secretions respectively and I was wondering if it was possible to get syndromes restricted solely to pets? Anyhow I found this intersting and humorous imagining droves of cats staggering about my fortress and thought I would share, people are welcome to share their experiences with syndromes too in this thread.
Give a dwarf a fire and he is warm for the night
Light a dwarf on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Dizzy Kitties (and other syndromes)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:57:23 pm »

Forgotten Beast syndrome. Monitor them closely for further symptoms, such as complete necrosis. Also, the reason why it's only affecting pets is probably because pets don't wear shoes. Check for an FB blood smear or dust pile.

EDIT: It's probably the secretions.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:59:08 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:03:22 am »

I definatly recommend the DFhack clean utilitie or next it will be children and your dwarfs feet when their clothes rot off.
Had a FB whos secretions caused rot recently, was an endless cycle of hospitalisation, tissue excision and getting sick again. I imagine I would have had my first legendary surgeon had I been allowed to continue.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 12:05:27 am »

Yeah, dfcleanmap is your best bet.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:08:18 am »

Best combination so far that I've had?

A rose opal THING with deadly dust. What did it do? Smash my soldiers everywhere, none getting close enough to hit because of the dust attack, the thing itself took very little damage, and the dust?

It caused people to suffocate.

That fort died in 5 minutes after the creature attacked.
New record.

Now THAT was hilarious to watch. All that training, best gear smiths could make, and no one could even TOUCH the thing, and those who tried, soon suffocated.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:09:06 am »

Your miners could have killed it with ease.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 12:11:52 am »

Maybe. But since that dust acts the same way cavein dust does, it's like the ultimate attack against miners.

I figure IF someone had gotten up to it's face they might have gotten in a lucky shot to kill it, but alas, it was constantly moving. Either on it's own, or it's own attack trashing it around the huge cloud of death it dispersed every time it decided to do that. Which was often.

At least that one miner was able to initiate self-destruct and everything was flushed with magma, that THING included.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:13:08 am »

What are you guys? ELVES!? We are dwarves, you can't use that computer wizardry. You need to make the most complicated and stupid idea possible to fix the problem.  I suggest a nice magma rinse of the infected areas and an immediate BBQ of the infected animals.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

DwarvenScience

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Surgeon, Legendary Consoler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 01:52:47 am »

UPDATE: the sickness has spread to dwarves now, I have several dwarves staggering about now. I am hoping that the syndrome is not fatal as I am sitting on the cusp of a tantrum spiral with the previous pet/dwarf slaughter following the last seige (my militia captain recently threw a tantrum and was thrown into a cell, where he became stricken with melancholy) and I fear that if everyones beloved pets begin experiencing brain rot they may decide that sanity is overrated
Give a dwarf a fire and he is warm for the night
Light a dwarf on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 09:29:10 am »

Magma is the solution. Do you have any idea where the contaminant is located? That spot could use magmafication.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 01:23:50 pm »

Magma is the solution. Do you have any idea where the contaminant is located? That spot could use magmafication.
Dwarves: The only race that uses magma for spring cleaning.

This gives me an idea for a megaproject...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 01:51:00 pm »

You know those things people refer to as "industrial disinfectants"? Those are people too pussy to use magma.

GrueSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 04:21:08 pm »

Quarantine the area. A little-known fact about magma is that is a powerful antimicrobial agent.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 04:30:08 pm »

A little-known fact about magma is that is a powerful antimicrobial agent.
It just happens to be a powerful antimacrobial agent too.
Especially against miners.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 04:45:44 pm »

Maybe. But since that dust acts the same way cavein dust does, it's like the ultimate attack against miners.
I think they meant causing a cave-in on top of the FB.

But, in that situation I'd skip the manual control and go straight for the dfliquids solution.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.