Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: buggy medical  (Read 823 times)

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
buggy medical
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:35:25 pm »

So, my bone doctor is stuck trying to make plaster casts for Urist McStupidEnoughToStandOnSameTileAsChannel, who fell around 3 zlevels and broke his arm and leg. Is there a workaround? I do have splints.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: buggy medical
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:38:00 pm »

The workaround is on the magmawiki, but the easier solution is to just never use casts (atom smash all plaster powder that you have).

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:49:35 pm »

Best thing to do, is to forbid all buckets, but 1. Designate a pond. When you see a dwarf, headed to the pond with a bucket of water, remove the ponds designation. Urist will drop the bucket, then the doc will go grab it, making the cast. Then unforbid all buckets. Then dump all the plaster, to make them use splints, in the future.
 I guess you cannot blame them, not being able to do 2 things, at the same time. Most members of the healthcare profession, can't either
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:54:16 pm »

Okay, never mind, he finaly managed to get a cast on :D Thanks for the tips!
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:29:10 am »

The medical dwarf can make casts but for some reason it just takes a REALLY long time to make it. Had a legendary miner brake both is legs so had to dig into the medical world of dwarfs and noticed cast make takes about a season while everything else took just a couple seconds.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 05:10:46 am »

Get somebody else to fill the bucket for the doctor.  Doctors should just tend to the sick and stay away from the well.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 05:14:33 am »

huh... interesting issue that is. i will have a well in my hospital. will that fix the issue for me?
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 05:25:22 am »

I have a well in my hospital and it speeds up giving patients water and easy to see when they make casts, might be a good idea to have someone else make casts because it frees the good doctor to see to the other patients

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:04:58 am »

The doctors will never be able to fill a bucket for a cast, no matter how far the well is away from them or if the water source isn't a well. The only way to make them make a cast is to force them to use a bucket that is already filled with water. That's why i suggest using splints exclusively, otherwise you will go mad once a dwarf needs every limb immobilized.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 01:54:54 pm »

Further info on buckets and healthcare at the link in my sig
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479