Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problem with assigning specific armor or weaponry to dwarves  (Read 559 times)

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
problem with assigning specific armor or weaponry to dwarves
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:31:56 pm »

I have a little problem idetifying the correct weapon/armor whenever i want to assign specific items to my dwarves.

Let me explain : suppose i want to equip 3 military dwarves with 3 specific steel shields. In the equipment panel, things are presented as follows :

Urist McCaptain                  +steel shield+
Urist McWar 1                    -steel shield-
Urist McWar 2                    -steel shield-
Urist McWar 3                    -steel shield-

I want my captain to keep the good shield and the other dwarves to get the 3 other ones, so i assign the first lesser shield to my first dwarf :

I push ENTER, so far, so good, everything is going as planned. I continue and try to assign the second lesser shield to my second dwarf :

I push ENTER, my second dwarf gets his shield, but...wait...the first dwarf's shield has just disappeared, i've just assigned his new shield to my second dwarf, even if i took the first shield in the list for the first dwarf and the second for the second dwarf. Nevermind, I'll try something else. I'll try to assign each time the first of the lesser shields in the list. So it goes :

for the first dwarf

for the second dwarf. As weird as it seems, both dwarf get a shield, i try the same for the third one :

I push ENTER, and NOOOOOOO...! my third one gets his shield but my first dwarf's shield disappears again.

So, i blindly try different combinations of dwarf/shield, and amazingly, one which works is the following :
I first assign the second lesser shield in the list to the second dwarf :

then the first to the first dwarf :

which is exactly the same combination as the first one i tried (and failed), except in reverse Urist order, and IT WORKS! So i assign the third shield to the third dwarf :

I push ENTER, all my dwarves are finally equipped with a shield, but i really fail to understand the logic behind this. It's already quite annoying with 4 fully equipped military dwarves (same problem for each piece of equipment), but I shudder to think what it will be with 50 soldiers (as intend to do).

Has anyone got an explanation about this or any workaround ?

TIA

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: problem with assigning specific armor or weaponry to dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:24:01 pm »

You gotta remember, dwarves get easily confused, and its not like they instantly equip themselves. if you unnassign a shield, they will drop it as soon as they have free time, then a dwarf needs to haul it to the armor stockpile.

They try to get the highest value shield, in the first spot, then the following soldier gets the next best one, if the squad is created at the same time. This does not mean they will get the best defensive value shield.
 When you allocate uniforms, don't use shift/enter to assign a uniform template to the whole squad, assign it individually using shift. When assigning them, first free the barracks, to allow them to equip items.
  Make a uniform template, with no items, to use when the dwarves get confuzzled. Assign it to each individual. Then when they are walking around nekky, assign the template you want, individually again. Thus best will go to the squad leader,next best to second, etc.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: problem with assigning specific armor or weaponry to dwarves
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:21:26 am »

Thanks for your answer, but i'm not talking about assigning uniforms, it's about assigning specific pieces of equipment, and all of this occur in the same equipment panel in pause mode. It's just the assigning process i'm wondering about, not the actual equiping process.