Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: army movement across 30 z levels  (Read 7737 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: army movement across 30 z levels
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 04:06:10 am »

What about a splash-pond?  Assuming that your dwarves have experience swimming, they probably won't drown and should be able to regain combat effectiveness when they leave the water.  If you have a moat, you could use it for that.  Have a retracting bridge or a series of hatches directly above your moat, and then station your dwarves there.  Pull the lever and down they go!  To battle!!!

Or...you could just make an additional stairwell to reduce congestion.  30 z-levels take only as long as 30 horizontal squares to traverse.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 04:11:52 am »

Chain kitten to a 5 x 5 area filled with ropes, and hope that your dwarves fall on the kitties. I mean, what's more fun than gambling? Nothing, that's right.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 06:34:41 am »

Here is a thought. Have a 3x3 room with a hatch on the center tile. Under the hatch one floor down is a pressure plate that opens the hatch. Station your dwarves in the room, and when the goblin hits the plate he is instantly landed on by whatever dwarf is on the hatch. Meanwhile the rest of the squad attacks from above, and will eventually charge down on whatever enemies are below.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 06:40:25 am »

'watervator'

build a vertical shaft, with a room connected to the top of it that can be flooded.
Flood the shaft
Station squad in room at top
Flood room at top whilst simultaneously unblocking base of shaft

Let me know if it worked like it does in my head >:)

provided the journey isnt too far they probably dont even need swimming lessons, though thinking about it.....non swimmers probably sink through the column of water in the shaft, while swimmers bob around like ducks waiting for it to drain
Timing is probably everything, if the shaft starts to drain before the flooding top-room washes the dwarves into it then they may end up with a bit of free-fall

*Disclaimer* Not responsible for loss of life, sanity, hair, sleep or dwarves as a result of this not working.  I might give it a test later to see if its even vaguely plausible
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:43:28 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 08:10:14 am »

I -HEARD- that creatures dropped onto creatures won't be hurt. Drop them onto kittens,

What about a splash-pond?  Assuming that your dwarves have experience swimming, they probably won't drown and should be able to regain combat effectiveness when they leave the water.  If you have a moat, you could use it for that.  Have a retracting bridge or a series of hatches directly above your moat, and then station your dwarves there.  Pull the lever and down they go!  To battle!!!

Or...you could just make an additional stairwell to reduce congestion.  30 z-levels take only as long as 30 horizontal squares to traverse.

The only problem with this is water has no buoyancy properties in DF, meaning that falling through it is identical to falling through air. I don't think dwarves can begin swimming until they've stopped falling, and after 30 z-levels I don't think they'll be in any condition to paddle to shore.

Maybe a stable-type setup for each squad, like this:
Code: [Select]

XXXXXXXXXXX
X..........
XDXDXDXDXDX X-Wall
XoXoXoXoXoX .-Floor
XXXXXSXXXXX D-Door
XoXoXoXoXoX o-Hatch
XDXDXDXDXDX H-Landing Pad/Animal
X..........
XXXXXXXXXXX

~
30 z-levels down
~

XXXXDDDXXXX
X.........X
XDXDXDXDXDX
XHXHXHXHXHX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XHXHXHXHXHX
XDXDXDXDXDX
X.........X
XXXXDDDXXXX

Station the squad to where the S is in the top diagram, and they'll (hopefully) crowd into the little squares trying to get into that area. Then seal the doors, open the hatches, and drop them into the combat zone. Keep lower doors sealed in prep so the animals don't get to far (I'd chain them down right there just to make it easier to keep them in the area, though that would mean difficulty re-pitting them)
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 09:09:29 am »

Do bridge bombs still work? If they do just build some bridges in key areas, and when the enemy is below them build some floor tiles only connected to the bridge. Bombs away!

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 09:20:16 am »

Why not use a drawbridge to catapult the goblins up 30z levels to your military?

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 09:41:38 am »

*Goblin siege* Militia Commander : "Alright, dwarves. We have to fight the goblin menace." Random soldier : "What are those kittens that hauler brought in for?" Militia Commander : "They are our parachutes. Remember to land kitten first."
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 12:38:25 am »

What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 12:42:58 am »

Why not use a drawbridge to catapult the goblins up 30z levels to your military?

I propose a hybrid.

Use drawbridges some method to catapult goblins upwards, whilst simultaneously dropping your army on top of the ascending goblins.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:09:22 am by Traece »
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 12:54:54 am »

Bridgapults don't send anything up z-levels, they stay on the same z-level. Would it be possible to send them up with a geyser (pressurized water spurting up)?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 01:06:33 am »

There's actually a very simple way to make sure your guys are in the right area.  You use the danger room 1x1 technique.  You place an armor rack (or weapon, or chest, etc) surrounded by walls, with a door set to internal and forbidden leading to it.  Internal means that it won't block the room flow, but forbidden means no one can move through it.  Then, make the single tile outside that door included in the barracks, so that there's only 1 square the soldiers can stand on.  When descending, you instruct your soldiers to go train at barracks, where they promptly stand on the conveniently placed hatch and drop onto the waiting kittens.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 01:36:01 am »

If you manage to break all the legs on a cat in such a way that it does not bleed out will it become stationary?
Or have we just found a use for nerve damaged dwarfs?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:38:24 am by Bererez »
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 02:54:48 am »

No on nerve-damaged dwarves, because they will still need food and water and that means hauling jobs, which is the entire point we're trying to avoid.  As for legless cats, perhaps, except actually doing it.  It's possible to make a custom syndrome that causes paralysis/necrosis of the legs, but these cannot be added to existing worlds, so it's not very helpful.  A cat on a chain inside a per-forbidden door would work best, except not a cat, because people will go unchain the animal when it claims them as an owner.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 11:39:31 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: breaking a cat's legs so it can serve as a better sentry.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6