Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: army movement across 30 z levels  (Read 7722 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: army movement across 30 z levels
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 05:19:57 pm »

I'm voting for a selectively abusive syndrome, which causes instant paralysis and eventual rot of the legs, leaving the affected creature stationary.  I've also been thinking about a viewer beast, which would essentially be a large eye with an attached digestive system, good at spotting ambushes but otherwise squishy and not even worth butchering.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2011, 08:24:39 pm »

I remember reading that if you attach a puppy to a floating rope (removing the support from underneath it, it works and I've tested it) and then get it down, it will never move again (stuck in the falling state), but still be alive.

This could be an easy way to obtain parapelegic animals to use a parachutes/mattresses, thus allowing easy aerial deployment of the Military.

Only in Dwarf Fortress

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2011, 08:27:51 pm »

I remember reading that if you attach a puppy to a floating rope (removing the support from underneath it, it works and I've tested it) and then get it down, it will never move again (stuck in the falling state), but still be alive.
I'm not sure a creature in falling state can cushion anyone's fall, but I guess that without test we can't be sure.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2011, 08:31:29 pm »

This could be an easy way to obtain parapelegic animals to use a parachutes/mattresses, thus allowing easy aerial deployment of the Military.

Only in Dwarf Fortress

Hanging elfs.

My life will be complete

It' will be glorious.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2011, 08:49:29 pm »

This is actually a desired feature Toady wants to add, "incidental hangings" when a creature on a restrain is pushed, dodges, or falls off a ledge.  It will cause suffocation type damage, similar to a wrestler.  This will, in no small exageration, let you dangle the bodies of your captured foes from your walls.  This should be especially brutal when building towers, and having 50+ Z's of hanging corpses.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2011, 08:53:10 pm »

This is actually a desired feature Toady wants to add, "incidental hangings" when a creature on a restrain is pushed, dodges, or falls off a ledge.  It will cause suffocation type damage, similar to a wrestler.  This will, in no small exageration, let you dangle the bodies of your captured foes from your walls.  This should be especially brutal when building towers, and having 50+ Z's of hanging corpses.

"Incidiental"

Yes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:28 pm »

I did not say "Accidental"

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 09:00:59 pm »

"Incidiental"

Yes...

UristMcDwarf has been accosted by detail sticklers recently.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »

Can i just derail for a second?

there's such a thing as "too complicated".

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN, YOU CALL YOURSELF A DWARF?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2011, 07:59:16 pm »

Since you only need one kitten for an infinite amount of dwarves....
I've done some tests and it turns out not to be so. If you drop crowd onto single tile only one will be cushioned, actual numbers of paratroopers and cushions do not matter. This applies to simultaneous launch, I can't predict results of consecutive drops with small intervals.

Also, water buffer doesn't work even if there are two levels full.

Thus, if you desire to create a dropsquad, resort to that bridge-on-every-level design proposed by Vattic, probably you could replace bridges with hatches using this:
You place an armor rack (or weapon, or chest, etc) surrounded by walls, with a door set to internal and forbidden leading to it.  Internal means that it won't block the room flow, but forbidden means no one can move through it.  Then, make the single tile outside that door included in the barracks, so that there's only 1 square the soldiers can stand on.  When descending, you instruct your soldiers to go train at barracks, where they promptly stand on the conveniently placed hatch and drop onto the waiting kittens.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2011, 03:30:45 pm »

You'll have to build some sort of chute to make sure the dwarves fall vertically down. In my experience, the wind can catch them and blow them off course if high enough.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2011, 05:58:39 pm »

Cover the floor in upright wooden training spears?

Also I find the premise flawed. If you wanted to be efficient, don't build your fortress floating in the air.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2011, 06:12:03 pm »

Dwarven drop pods

This needs to happen

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »

Dwarf fortress: The only game where figuring out how to drop bearded midgets from ungodly heights safely without incapacitating them is a matter of serious discussion.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »

Dwarven drop pods

This needs to happen
Do a search for "Armok's Thunder".  This project was postponed due to the amazing .19 release, but will be reinstated when the new releases are a bit more stable.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6