Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did you just punch out Cthulhu???  (Read 2811 times)

Red_Rob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did you just punch out Cthulhu???
« on: January 08, 2011, 06:47:07 pm »

It seems the position of Captain of the Guard will spur a Dwarf on to incredible acts of heroism. I have had two in this fortress (my second!) and I have seen amazing things from both of them.

Firstly, a little background. I breached the first Cavern level and began mining out the gems, when I get a message about a forgotten beast. After checking it out, its a Gigantic Turtle with a poisonous bite thats swimming around in a lake far away from my dwarves. After watching it for a bit it never approached them, and I forget about it whilst managing my economy. Later I go to make something to eat and accidentally leave DF running for around 15 mins. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

So, I return to find 15 dead Dwarves and a Giant Turtle surrounded by body parts in my main corridor. I quickly scramble my militia to fight the thing, and my Captain is first on the scene. One of his arms is wounded from an earlier fight but he can still swing a steel battle axe. After a few good hits the turtle kicks him with its flipper and breaks his other arm. I'm thinking "uh-oh, new Captain needed" when he grabs the thing's head with his teeth and attempts to hold it! The thing then fails to break the grip and is held whilst 3 other dwarves surround it and hack it to bits with the captain still swinging from its head by his teeth.

That Captain unfortunately died after a nasty blood-borne poison that got splashed around my entrance rendered him unconscious just before a Kobold thief appeared and knifed him as he lay on the floor. Never did catch the sneaky little b@%$* either. So my new Captain is later sent to battle the latest Beast to appear, this time a huge Dragonfly that breathes poison. After chasing the thing down he hacks off a couple of legs with his axe, then proceeds to stare the thing in the eyes and punch it in the head so hard it's skull shatters, killing the thing instantly! Obviously axes are for pussies in the Dwarven Military.

Any ideas how I should reward this Chuck Norris-esque hero of dwarf kind?

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Did you just punch out Cthulhu???
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 06:50:05 pm »

Odd, Dragonfly don't have skulls. They're bugs, bugs don't have bones.
Maybe it has been set up? He clearly wants you to reward him.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:49:56 pm »

They also don't have brains, but you can still eat those :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:54:14 pm »

Actually all insects, all arthropods I know of actually, have a brain.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 08:05:59 pm »

They are just called bones, actually made of chitin, a disappointing fact that can be found out by butchering them.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:53:12 pm »

In my current game I had a giant Minotaur appear on the surface. I proceed to ring the town bell and get all civilians inside the fortress walls. I only have 3 military guys at this point because I am relying on a long narrow path full of decked out steel weapon traps. Its all good I think. I will leave my drawbridge down and wait for this giant minotaur to try to come in here.
If all goes to plan he should walk through all those traps and I can still raise the drawbridge if he gets too close.

Guess what happens. This damn thing refuses to attack my fortress, and instead it just lingers around the bottom of this side project I am digging out. It my first attempt at a reactor and pump stack. The entrance to this underground project is just outside of my walls, totally exposed and outside of my burrow limits. I wait some more and more and the damned minotaur just paces back and forth down there.

I recruit some extra help and give everyone steel armor and weapons. I set a gatherpoint just outside of the entrance to the pumping project and slowly tell them to move down one floor at a time with station commands. Finally they meet this giant minotaur. The Minotaur smashed one of my recruits foot with his fists, then grabs that same foot and held on. Then my Commander shows up, stabs the thing in the face with his spear, going straight through its brain.  Fight is over with one attack.

Still working on the pump. I plan to fill a large trough shaped basin right above the trap filled path with lever operated hatches that can dump tons of water on anything that survive the gauntlet, at the same time flood gates will shut on both ends and fill the whole area completely with water. I plan on using a LOT of hatches so All of the water should be dumped out in less than a second. Should be fun. I've already set up the drainage system I can open up to reset it. Everything controllable from inside the walls and I have an aquifer to replenish my water supply.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »

I've had woodcutters and such stuck outside or caught in an ambush, and I'll draft them to hold off the enemies for whatever time they can while the squads rush out. They will routinely decimate the whole squad and get back to work, leaving the soldiers to be laughed at.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Guarstine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:40:32 pm »

I sent my entire military after a giant that popped up near my fortress thinking "Am I gonna need to make a crypt now?" Before the giant could make any attacks everyone in my military hit him in the head with their weapons. I think that there were about one and a half pages of headshots and none of them were over proficient in their weapons. I think that I should deck out that squad.

edit: did I say one an a half pages of headshots? what i ment to say was 24 pages of headshots. The funny thing is that the giant was alive for the whole thing.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:49:45 pm by Guarstine »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 11:36:33 pm »

You should not reward them. THey had 24 pages of head shots, and still didn't kill it. They should report to the magma burrow.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Guarstine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 02:13:09 am »

Well they did kill him, but there is the fact that there was a long list of cracked skill injuries and spinal nerve tissue damage.
I just thought that it was lucky for a fight with a semi titan.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 03:26:35 am »

cracked skill injuries
And a bruised ego?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 03:39:07 am »

I've had woodcutters and such stuck outside or caught in an ambush, and I'll draft them to hold off the enemies for whatever time they can while the squads rush out. They will routinely decimate the whole squad and get back to work, leaving the soldiers to be laughed at.

I always give people huge rooms for for that, and the prefix "Paragon." :)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 01:08:53 pm »

Well, so far in my fortress I have had a peasant punch out a cave ogre and a zero-skill dwarf kill a GCS in four hits. Weird stuff happens sometimes. (Actually, the latter was damned annoying, I was using the dwarf as bait to get it into a web farm)