Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Weird things you've alwys wondered about your dwarfs.  (Read 5268 times)

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: Weird things you've alwys wondered about your dwarfs.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 09:28:07 pm »

Dwarven magic is in their constructions and crafts. How do you think they can build a fortress from obsidian, and have it only supported by a single support made of soap? How can they make a remotely operated bridge with three mechanisms and some stone? How can they make a staircase that can be traversed in 10 separate direction, two of which are vertical? Dwarven Magic.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 09:30:40 pm »

why do they wear things into rags then refuse to throw them away and wear new things?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:18 pm »

How can they know where everything in their territory is and how to use it, but at other times be literally unable to find their own backsides with two hands?
Do s dream of ASCII sheep?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »

I want to know how unskilled dwarfs can make complex machinery with no prior experience.

"A pump stack 45 z-levels high, with a perpetual motion machine one the end? No problem"

Genetic memory.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 11:26:35 pm »

Dwarves do all this crazy shit because they are just booze exoskeletons. The booze thinks, they just act.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 11:50:23 pm »

Also, they must be rather large earrings if they take a whole boulder to make.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 11:52:53 pm »

It's a little-known fact that the vast majority of the material used in the creation of crafts is ground to dust, then blown off the workshop counter. Seriously, compare the weights of an earring and a bar/log/boulder of the same material.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 03:59:16 am »

I will always wonder a little bit about the sculptor who seems obsessed with mollusks and invertebrates. I have several dozen sculptures of worms and mussels littering the fortress.

Do dwarves have perfect nightvision/sonar or are the fungi in the caverns luminescent?
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 04:51:34 am »

It's not that hard to put a picture of something on itself; you just don't include the full details in the image of the object.

Now the greatest mystery to me is how they can make functional instruments out of diorite and other hard rocks.  I would really hate to see the hands of someone who'd just been beating on a diorite drum...
Well, they sculpt the rigid bits out of rock and conjure the hide from somewhere. Or use toenails.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 05:02:31 am »

How a dwarf can mine 100 rocks a day and not pull a single lever?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:15:10 am by Qinetix »
Desu

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 06:34:15 am »

Mine is: How does one exactly engrave an engraving of an engraving? It's rather weird.

In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 06:51:07 am »

Now the greatest mystery to me is how they can make functional instruments out of diorite and other hard rocks.  I would really hate to see the hands of someone who'd just been beating on a diorite drum...
How else are they gonna make rock music?

I'm taking my !!coat!!.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 09:06:54 am »

Do dwarves have perfect nightvision/sonar or are the fungi in the caverns luminescent?

Well, in much fiction dwarves have senses that allow them to see in the dark, such as their "Darkvision" in all but the recent versions of Dungeons and Dragons.

I personally believe that DF dwarves use their beards much like a cat uses its whiskers, feeling about the dark tunnels like some booze-stinking insect crawling about with a pickaxe.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

DaneAxe

• Bay Watcher
  • Stunted Viking
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 04:06:02 pm »

I wonder why dwarves starve at all... Extrapolating experiances with my own beard, they should surely have a years worth of reserve food on them at all times.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »

I personally believe that DF dwarves use their beards much like a cat uses its whiskers, feeling about the dark tunnels like some booze-stinking insect crawling about with a pickaxe.
What about dwarves with no hair on their heads?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5