Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Weird things you've alwys wondered about your dwarfs.  (Read 5262 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird things you've alwys wondered about your dwarfs.
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:48:57 pm »

Mine is: How does one exactly engrave an engraving of an engraving? It's rather weird.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Weird things you've alwys wondered about your dwarfs.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:54:06 pm »

Mine is: How does one exactly engrave an engraving of an engraving? It's rather weird.
I suppose it's a picture of the dwarf engraving something. Like when you are drawing someone drawing, I guess. *shrugs*

As for me, I wonder how they can put pictures of things like trees, humans or Forgotten Beasts on bolts. Also, how they can find their way and do their job as normal if they happen to be friggin' blind.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:54:20 pm »

Take a picture of a picture of a picture.

Then engrave it.

Mine: Why do the miners who dig the tunnels for magma pipes always hang around there and burn to death?
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:55:39 pm »

I suppose it's a picture of the dwarf engraving something. Like when you are drawing someone drawing, I guess. *shrugs*

As for me, I wonder how they can put pictures of things like trees, humans or Forgotten Beasts on bolts. Also, how they can find their way and do their job as normal if they happen to be friggin' blind.

You know how someone wrote The Bible in some rice? Maybe dwarves can do the same.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 05:58:42 pm »

The bible on rice?

Humanity is silly. xD

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »

You know how someone wrote The Bible in some rice? Maybe dwarves can do the same.
But then, what's the poi... oh, right, I forgot most of the things dwarfs do can't be rationalized. And writing the Bible on rice isn't exactly useful, either. Moving along...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:12:18 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:59:57 pm »

Why do my dwarves pummel with their pommel only hitting the leg, with swords? Maybe the enemy half-dodged or something?

Why do my dwarves usually end fights with kicks or a bashing with their shield to the head? Instead of their weapon?
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 06:08:00 pm »

I want to know how unskilled dwarfs can make complex machinery with no prior experience.

"A pump stack 45 z-levels high, with a perpetual motion machine one the end? No problem"
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 06:08:45 pm »

Play adventure mode, experience the fun that are opportunity attacks. I often get the feel the combat system for dwarf mode is the same.

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »

Why are you sleeping out on the mountainside!? I have bedrooms set up! And there's a siege coming!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 06:31:02 pm »

It's also weird how (when they're not on break) they do anything you say without question.
"Build a 500 Zlevel tall chair made of soap? uhh, sure, boss?"

Killabyte

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 06:35:40 pm »

How one of my dwarves surrounded a few months at the bottom of a volcano and then finally bled to death.

Dwarves must have a really high pain tolerance.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 06:39:01 pm »

How do the kittens they breed can swim in magma?

How do they put a picture of an artifact on the same artifact the picture is about?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 09:12:27 pm »

I wonder why my entire fortress is obsessed with some Giant who moved to the region my fort is in in year 1, and then never did anything again after that.  I forget his first name but his title is the Apogee of Mouths, and 70% of the engravings/figurines/statues in my fort are of him settling into his home.  He never did anything else, and it's hard to imagine how they even know he exists, but he's apparently a celebrity.

I also would wonder how 1 troglodyte manages to kill 6 dwarves all by himself, while a Troll gets instantly beaten to death by someone with a featherwood crossbow that they don't know how to use, except I am aware that DF combat is spastically random.

What I do wonder is how that named trog's corpse ended up in one of the cages in my animal stockpile.  He died half a fort away from that stockpile, and that cage wasn't ever used in a cage trap.  It's sort of odd.  At least his moldering remains can keep company the other named trog that ended up in a cage trap later...
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 09:19:19 pm »

It's not that hard to put a picture of something on itself; you just don't include the full details in the image of the object.

Now the greatest mystery to me is how they can make functional instruments out of diorite and other hard rocks.  I would really hate to see the hands of someone who'd just been beating on a diorite drum...
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5