Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: butchering my first FB  (Read 798 times)

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
butchering my first FB
« on: January 08, 2011, 03:36:46 pm »

I've killed my first FB!  I feel pretty bad ass.  =D

I built a butcher shop right next to the refuse pile where her body is, but the butcher won't go down and do anything.  He keeps canceling the "Butcher a dead animal" job.  I'm trying to also assign the job through the manager, but it hasn't been approved yet.

Any idea why he won't butcher the FB corpse?  She was made of coal and it looks like the pieces of her, even the main piece that still has her symbol, are called "FB's coal".  Is she unbutcherable b/c she's made of rock?  If so, that kind of sucks.  Can I do something else with her coal, like make some bad ass FB steel?  OR should I just give up on the whole thing?

I'm kind of stuck right now, b/c if the FB is butcherable, I don't want her corpse to rot.  So I don't want to keep playing until I know for sure it can't be done... or what I'm doing wrong

Thanks in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:41:15 pm by shmelse »
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: butchering my first FB
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:41:25 pm »

Yes, inorganic beasts (made of any stone, metal, water, mud, etc) can't be butchered. Only the ones who don't say what they are made of (they are made of flesh) can be butchered.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:43:22 pm »

Yes, inorganic beasts (made of any stone, metal, water, mud, etc) can't be butchered. Only the ones who don't say what they are made of (they are made of flesh) can be butchered.

Wait, we can butcher FB's?  :o

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 03:45:39 pm »

Yeah, and you get mountains of food for it.

One FB I butchered gave me 126 units of meat, 37 units of intestine and 6 units of heart.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 03:49:14 pm »

Lame, lame. 

Thanks so much for the reply, though; now I can take my game off hold.  Anything else I can do with her coal, or is it just refuse?  Oh!  And will her arm eventually decay and leave a FB bone?  That might be fun for a mood, down the road, but maybe coal doesn't decay either. =/
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:23:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure inorganic beasts 'bones' (if they even have some) are made from the inorganic stuff too.
And yes butchering forgotten beasts is fun, as the huge meatstacks will make huge prepared meals.
And 'cleaned with forgotten beast soap' in the treatment history always puts a smile on my face.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:39:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure inorganic beasts 'bones' (if they even have some) are made from the inorganic stuff too.
And yes butchering forgotten beasts is fun, as the huge meatstacks will make huge prepared meals.
And 'cleaned with forgotten beast soap' in the treatment history always puts a smile on my face.

Gotcha.  Thanks again for the reply. =)

Looks like I'll have to kill another one, then, eh?  And if I ever see a bone turn up from the chopped off arms, I'll let y'all know.

"An' th' tables?"

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:34:25 am »

Killing forgotten beasts with forgotten beast bone bolts is also cool, sustainable industry hoooooo!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:52:18 am »

Unfortunatly FB bone is worth no more than your standard critters, theres no nice bonuses like you see from say, hydra or the like.

When you do get organic FB corpses you will likely need several butcher shops.  Any severed pieces are butchered seperately from the mangled corpse, all the pieces weigh ridiculous amounts and single-handedly clutter the workshops.  Its not fast.

Yeah im a big fan of FB soap too, though I used mine to build a big tower
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 06:04:44 am »

I have the dismembered corpse of a "Great Humanoid composed of Lead" sitting in my bone's stockpile.  It's Right-hand weighs 1619 urists (a boulder weighs 186 for comparison), and the biggest piece of its body weighs 98,009.  That's a lot of lead.

Is there any way I can use its corpse for anything?  Like to make into lead toys to sell do the elven caravans?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

ruudhulk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 06:48:21 am »

Killing forgotten beasts with forgotten beast bone bolts is also cool, sustainable industry hoooooo!

Forgotten beast = Unlimited resource? :P

I can confirm this. I recently had a forgotten tortoise butchered and it gave around ~130 pieces of meat alone, 10 pieces of brain iirc. Went down suprisingly easy.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 10:28:32 am »

I have the dismembered corpse of a "Great Humanoid composed of Lead" sitting in my bone's stockpile.  It's Right-hand weighs 1619 urists (a boulder weighs 186 for comparison), and the biggest piece of its body weighs 98,009.  That's a lot of lead.

Is there any way I can use its corpse for anything?  Like to make into lead toys to sell do the elven caravans?

Pretty sure that you can't.  I had a humanoid made of clear glass, which an axedwarf managed to take a few pieces off of before it went down, leaving me with "FB's Clear Glass" in my refuse pile, but no clear glass work orders (I tried cut, encrust, and make craft) worked with them.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 11:51:02 am »

Have you tried designating the body parts for Melting?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 02:34:26 pm »

This won't work for my glass beast, but I'd be curious to see if it does with the lead one.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 03:02:13 pm »

Sadly, it doesn't appear as an option.  Given though that I have a massive glut of galena from granite-quarrying (all my aboveground structures are made of hewn granite), I think I should still be able to carry out the "Lead Toys" export plan.  No elves though, so I'll have to make do with selling them to the arrogant tall-Men.

It's a pity that you can't use the materials that FBs claim to be made out of.  The OP's Coal monster would have been a real boon.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."