Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: American Congresswoman Shot ; 11 others shot, 6 killed, RIP  (Read 23707 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: American Congresswoman Shot ; 11 others shot, 5 killed, RIP
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »

God dammit, he stole my hair. It's fucking uncanny.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Congresswoman Shot ; 11 others shot, 5 killed, RIP
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2011, 11:01:07 pm »

God dammit, he stole my hair. It's fucking uncanny.
Don't worry, he stole my hair and my face, but he let me keep my facial hair.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: American Congresswoman Shot ; 11 others shot, 6 killed, RIP
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2011, 11:06:03 pm »

I'm watching it on CNN. What the hell?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: American Congresswoman Shot, killed; 12 others shot
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2011, 12:18:33 am »

Like someone earlier said, it's Time Cube logic.  But I fear the political class will use this to clamp down on civil liberties.
Quote from: Pima County Sheriff Clarence W. Dupnik
The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on this country is getting to be outrageous and unfortunately Arizona has become sort of the capital. We have become the Mecca for prejudice and bigotry. ... The vitriolic rhetoric that we hear day in and day out from people in the radio business and some people in the TV business ... This has not become the nice United States that most of us grew up in.

I searched Fox News Dupnik, and I found this: (it's him talking to O'reilly about Arizona's plans to change state immigration laws)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,592136,00.html

Also: Conservative Reaction to Dupnik:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2653599/posts

Liberal reaction:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=433x587704

Amusingly, I found the link to the latter forum at the previous.

Also, I turned on Fox news to get their take after I read about this on the internet. I heard a replay of Mr. Dupnik's speech, but I didn't hear any mention of TV business, which I am assuming was edited out of the version I watched which was not a live event. I was amazed to hear the first bit, of course, but it would have blown my mind to see something like the complete speech on Fox. I wish I had seen the live broadcast, or better, seen the looks on the Fox studio people's faces individually as it played.  Of all people to say such things  about a crime on national TV, perhaps someone high ranking in the police force is at least worthy of a listen.

Also, I was watching when they were allowed to announce the name of the 9 year old girl who died for the first time. The Fox news anchor had trouble getting past that part and sort of repeated her name a few times in a strange, sad, rambling way after saying that she was a newly elected student council member at her school and was being taken to see how our government works by a family friend. They had to cut to commercial because I think he was near tears. I say good on the anchor.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:24:24 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2011, 01:03:23 am »

Prayers for the families of the victems, and for the family of the obviously mentally ill shooter.  Both will be distraught tonight wondering what went wrong and how they could have maybe stopped it.  Very sad.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Congresswoman Shot, killed; 12 others shot
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2011, 01:42:36 am »

I was amazed to hear the first bit, of course, but it would have blown my mind to see something like the complete speech on Fox.

Yeah, it would be nice to see Fox News actually act like a journalistic enterprise, as opposed to selectively editing things in order to suit an agenda.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2011, 03:44:56 am »

Aqizzar:  I am with you on trying to understand this guy.  I am also with you in being very, very confused by him.  Insanity.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2011, 08:45:19 am »

I think I have worked out a consistent thread of logic for one of his videos.  If something's in brackets, it's something he didn't explicitly say but which I think has to be assumed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAx8WzNJT0

1. Fraud is paying for something but not receiving it.
2. (Fraud is against the constitution)
3. I paid fees to go to college.
4. They threw me out for talking.
5. Therefore I paid for something but didn't receive it, so I am a victim of fraud.
6. Therefore the college is unconstitutional.
7. The Department of Education allows this to happen.
8. Therefore the Department of Education is unconstitutional.
9. (The DoE is part of the government.)
10. (Therefore the government is unconstitutional)
11. Therefore the police are unconstitutional.
12. You can find stuff out for free on the internet.
13. Therefore college is a sham anyway!
14. (Something else about the constitution)

I... think this might be correct.  If you try to tackle it in order, there's just a massive jump from one bit to another.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2011, 10:06:29 am »

That above is what I got out of it as well, so I think you're on to something, Leafsnail.
Love, scriver~

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2011, 10:19:45 am »

It makes a lot more sense if you can match your thought processes to a certain viewpoint, one in which "unconstitutional" refers to any perceived injustice because everything else other than the self is, effectively, all the same entity. I'm sorry to say that I can kinda-sorta understand this guy in his native tongue. I feel like the Grey Warden of batshit.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2011, 11:18:07 am »

Goddamn the media. They're turning a horrible tragedy into political gunpowder. Excuse my language but
Spoiler: Explicit language (click to show/hide)

6 people were killed, and I am very, very sad for their families. I can't imagine the thoughts going through the minds of the family who lost their 9 year old girl. I can't say how sorry I am to all the families who lost family members in this.

Extremely unfortunately, this seems to be changing the tune of a lot of people, saying that the rhetoric of the back-and-forth between the parties needs to be toned down. It's sad that no one saw this coming, and if they did, they couldn't convince anyone in power.

People like Keith Obermann, Bill O' Reilly, and Glenn Beck need to TONE IT DOWN. We're members of the same nation, don't act like you're bitter enemies fighting over land.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2011, 12:15:08 pm »

I see the institution of fatwa is gaining popularity in USA.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2011, 12:43:26 pm »

Goddamn the media. They're turning a horrible tragedy into political gunpowder. Excuse my language but

People like Keith Obermann, Bill O' Reilly, and Glenn Beck need to TONE IT DOWN. We're members of the same nation, don't act like you're bitter enemies fighting over land.
Then  the right would better not have brought the second amendment solution on the table. Here it is : the Shara Palin's prescription. You may find it a bit bitter but it's all for saving your grandma from death chamber.

And now they trying to make it sound like they are sorry when a nutcase act exactly the way they talk.
Not the first time either : remember the doctor? They may have dodged a bullet given that he is too crazy to be coherent, but pushing for violent action isn't going to be without consequences, especially in a country where everyone is armed to the teeth.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2011, 12:46:40 pm »

Would you quit whining about guns? It's not like violence never happens in France.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2011, 12:47:46 pm »

Well, violence does happen in france, but a madman taking a gun and going on a rampage is a very rare events. Not like in the US.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31