Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could I actually build fish farms?  (Read 2249 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Could I actually build fish farms?
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:55:18 pm »

So fish (the type your fisherdwarfs aren't afraid of and actually catch) spawn in large enough bodies of water, correct?

Is it possible then that I could make giant silos of water, that go up quite a few levels, pump the water in, and then fish will spawn in them?

What if I make underground pits, and fill them with cavern water? Will cave fish and such then spawn in them?

The question is, how big a body of water would I need?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Could I actually build fish farms?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 01:08:06 pm »

About 5x5, enough to eventually attract them into there. Once one of them is trapped, the remaining of the school fish will flock around that area. Afterward you can drain the water away, wait till they all suffocate and pick them up.

There's nothing more joyous then watching 40+ carps die in mere moments and half of the fort hurried out to fetch the carpcases.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 01:22:59 pm »

About 5x5, enough to eventually attract them into there. Once one of them is trapped, the remaining of the school fish will flock around that area. Afterward you can drain the water away, wait till they all suffocate and pick them up.

There's nothing more joyous then watching 40+ carps die in mere moments and half of the fort hurried out to fetch the carpcases.

I was thinking more along the lines of fish like Shad and Perch. You know, the ones that don't appear on the unit screen but are more like vermin?
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of fish like Shad and Perch. You know, the ones that don't appear on the unit screen but are more like vermin?
1x1. Even a puddle or well would suffice. But whether something show up or not is a tad bit random right now and I dont there there's anything which'd influence that. That's why I shy away from vermin fishing all together.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:33:48 pm »

1x1. Even a puddle or well would suffice. But whether something show up or not is a tad bit random right now and I dont there there's anything which'd influence that. That's why I shy away from vermin fishing all together.

Damn. I was hoping I could get a decent cave fish economy going, without the constant 'There is nothing to catch in the caverns' message. Maybe next time I'll embark at an actual river rather than a brook, so I can catch carp.
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:44:37 pm »

Vermin fish - the type your fisherdwarves catch - don't breed, and teleport around randomly.  Furthermore, when a dwarf performs the fishing job, he's not catching the vermin fish that may be wandering the map, he's creating a raw fish item and depleting the invisible non-replenishing biome population number for that fish species.  So, there's nothing you can do to prolong your fish stocks, and building a big pond won't accomplish anything.

Creature-type fish, like carp, can't be caught with the fishing job.  Instead, you need to use a cage trap, and set up a system where you can flood the room the cage trap is in, lure the carp in, catch it, and then drain the room to get the carp cage.

Non-pet, non-mount wild creatures like carp don't seem to breed at all at the moment, so you can't farm them anyway.  The best you can do is catch all of the fixed local population.  The only aquatic creature that breeds in vanilla DF is the Sea Serpent, which I have successfully captured and bred in an oceanside fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:00:36 pm »

The only aquatic creature that breeds in vanilla DF is the Sea Serpent, which I have successfully captured and bred in an oceanside fortress.
Sea serps have pet_exotic tag. That's why they can breed.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:08:17 pm »

The only aquatic creature that breeds in vanilla DF is the Sea Serpent, which I have successfully captured and bred in an oceanside fortress.
Sea serps have pet_exotic tag. That's why they can breed.
Correct, assuming you have a Dungeon Master.  Which means they can't actually breed in vanilla, you have to mod in a DM or mod then to have [PET].
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 02:13:10 pm »

Since that alone doesnt do much good, I suggest pumping population cap of all fishable creatures to 30000 (more and you'd get int overflow) That way you'd be able to farm them at least 50 times longer.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 03:27:58 pm »

What about the catch a live fish task. Will that catch vermin fish or creature fish?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »

That gets you live vermin fish, which are pretty much useless.  You can't butcher them, although starving dwarves will eat them as a last resort.  If you get moghoppers, you can process them into mog juice, which can be used as an ingredient in cooking.