Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How has Minecraft influenced your DF experience?  (Read 3485 times)

Iburnaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How has Minecraft influenced your DF experience?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 04:05:50 pm »

Minecraft is very boring compared to DF. Even multiplayer is intensely boring, if it wasn't for the fact that I like growing trees I wouldn't even play XD

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:08 pm »

Can't you people enjoy Minecraft for what it is instead of comparing it to DF?

I think I would have included massive magmafalls into my Minecraft architecture whether I had been influenced by DF or not.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 06:00:18 pm »

Dwarf fortress is really a game where you often either try to have Fun or do cool megaprojects. In Minecraft you do the megaproject-thing mostly.

I haven't bought it, and I won't because I'm not much of a megaprojecter, but I can understand how many people enjoy it.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 11:59:10 pm »

Minecraft needs to add a lot more content to make me want to play it again. DF has seemingly endless things you can try out or create. The vast variety of monsters in DF and the attention to detail on all fronts is really amazing.  If not for the graphics barrier, this game could sell really well, like Minecraft did. Before I played it, I would never have put down even 5 bucks for this game, but now that I know.. I would gladly pay whatever they wanted. As matter of fact I will see about a donation.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 12:14:22 am »

Minecraft may have an effect on my playstyle in DF, but it's entirely bound to my subconsciousness. DF however leads me to do things differently in minecraft, namely trying to reconstruct my most beloved projects in the old free version (I'm too lazy to do it in the beta). I always curse about how you can't force it to generate maps with a larger z-axis, since it's constrained to 128 total blocks in height, from bedrock to clouds. I like to look at the geometry of the terrain though. That generator is way less stable than DF's, but at least there's no such thing as gravity for massive floating rocks.

I don't think of them as being similar really, and I'm not sure where that came from besides being displayed in blocks/tiles on a coordinate grid. DF is almost entirely a strategy/rpg that lets you mess with the environment to your desire, and is -and will become more of- a world simulator like the Sims. Minecraft is a sandbox game with some new dynamics that makes it a half-arsed rpg/survival game the way adventure mode in DF is, but with fewer features. Apparently the beta will soon have a full sandbox mode for you to play with as well.

I'm affected as much by every other game, in every other game, as by Minecraft in DF. That's how your brain works, everything you know ends up being used in everything you do, and i know dorfs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 12:18:31 am »

I found out about MC through the DF forums. I then tried it, and was disapointed to no end. I was honestly expecting a 3d adventure mode, and found something that lego had been doing so much better for years.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 12:49:40 am »

I found out about DF through the MC forums. I then tried it, and was confused to no end. I was honestly expecting a 2D Minecraft, and found something that my mind couldn't come to terms with for months.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 01:11:39 am »

I found out about DF through Stumble. I then tried it, and was confused to no end. I was honestly expecting a 2D Sims,and found something that I never thought could exist.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 03:07:56 am »

MC made me like DF more, because it has proven to me that some games have good graphics, and some games have great depth. But then some games have neither, and although make for great fads, there lame, so the few with awesome depth are all the better.

Guarstine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 04:17:44 am »

That generator is way less stable than DF's, but at least there's no such thing as gravity for massive floating rocks.
Actualy when the level generator hiccups there are floating rocks

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 04:20:59 am »

only floating anything I've ever had was a frozen river that was suspended in the air between two rock spires, after the ground beneath it shifted away.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 06:37:46 am »

You go into minecraft vowing to make an underground superfortress before getting bored and having your dwarves do it for you instead.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 11:30:37 am »

I've been playing minecraft more than df lately (I don't expect this to be a long term trend) because I find the fun to investment ratio is a little higher. A half an hour of minecraft will get me a a spiffy construction or a mine, while a half an hour of df might get me passed the embark screen (adventure mode is an exception but we're in the fortress mode forum here).

By the same token, I think the complete lack of depth in minecraft is it's biggest fault. I hope they go hog-wild with geology at some point, and allow construction of actual material walls as oppose to just recreating the Earth in the shape of a house. Also minecraft is too easy. Being a game with imposed goal (same as df) that statement sounds weird, but I want the game to try to actively disrupt whatever it is I am trying to do. No goal doesn't mean no achievement.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 12:24:27 pm »

That generator is way less stable than DF's, but at least there's no such thing as gravity for massive floating rocks.
Actualy when the level generator hiccups there are floating rocks

Yes, but minecraft does something like this many dozens of times in every level it generates, while DF only has errors on rare occasions which you're very unlikely to actually embark on, and they then fix themselves by collapsing to the ground.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 12:36:30 pm »

My expectations of what I can accomplish in DF have gone up. When I can build an entire fortress in Minecraft in a night, that no longer seems like a very big deal. Projects that used to seem huge in DF now seem minute, and things that seemed impossible are now goals.

My eyes have been raised, and I've found the horizon to be further away than I thought. My current fort in DF is beyond anything I would have dreamed of building before Minecraft. I'm really thinking in 3D now, whereas before my forts were pretty much always flat, and it's amazing. I'm glad Minecraft came around, even if I don't think I'll be playing it much anymore.
This is to make me recognizable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3