Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How has Minecraft influenced your DF experience?  (Read 3488 times)

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How has Minecraft influenced your DF experience?
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:48:48 am »

I've always taken a hard stance that Minecraft isn't even worth considering when comparing it to DF, but I had never really given the game a fair shot and couldn't say for sure until very recently. Bought the game, downloaded it, and now I'm having a lot of fun with it. After a long streak of Minecrafting (Community Pack mods and Hard difficulty to better emulate DF!) I've come back to DF only to discover that the way I play the game is now completely different. Before I had been a very conservative DF player... I would always dig into a mountain and shield my dwarves from the outside world, but now I feel much more encouraged to build elaborate megaprojects and big towers outside. So what if a dwarf dies in the process? I've died plenty in MC hard mode at night, especially to ogres, and lost much, much more and recovered... so losing a single dwarf isn't really all that bad by comparison. My ideas on fortress design have also changed by a factor of ten, and now I'm building them more like citadels than the Kaladim-esque mountain caves that I had been building before. After playing Minecraft, I also feel an increased desire to go colonize the cavern layers...

TL;DR by playing a game which is often seen as DF's friendly rival, I have come to understand and enjoy DF a lot more. The way I play the game has been totally revolutionized, and I'm finally learning that losing really can be fun :) It has also given me a lot of new ideas to put to use in DF.

How has Minecraft changed the way you look at/ play DF?

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
Re: How has Minecraft influenced your DF experience?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:52:11 am »

I've died plenty in MC hard mode at night, especially to ogres,
Havn't played minecraft in a while, but ogres?!
Didn't think I'd missed that much :S
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:53:23 am »

Well practically it guided me to start (again) on playing DF

Anyways MC got inspired from DF >.>
Desu

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:19 am »

People every now and then make threads about minecraft in the DF forum and rant/compare the 2. Pretty annoying considering I'm looking for threads about DF only.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:57:31 am »

Ogres aren't part of the vanilla, they are a popular community mod.

I haven't noticed it changing my play  style in DF, but DF has most definitely changed my playing style in Minecraft.  I almost always try to build a DF-style-fort with DF-Style-Room divisions.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:03:54 am »

It hasn't. At all. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 11:04:43 am »

MC influencing DF? not in the slightest.
dwarf fortress influencing minecraft, however, is another story. go screencap every level of your fort and then recreate it in minecraft, to scale. actually, i've never done this and the idea only just occured to me. brb 15 hours

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 11:20:07 am »

I couldn't get into minecraft. Might try it again though.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:09:58 pm »

It hasn't. At all. :D
Pretty much this.

I mean, they're two games where most of the stuff you get done comes from digging. That's about where the similarities end.

go screencap every level of your fort and then recreate it in minecraft, to scale. actually, i've never done this and the idea only just occured to me. brb 15 hours
I believe there's a utility of some sort that imports DF maps to MC. I don't remember how they handle fluids, but there you go.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »

I enjoyed it, and when I played it, I imagined myself as one tee-totaling dwarf who was Proficient in all skills or something.  Made some cool stuff, but I gotta say, it pales in comparison to DF.  Sure, it's 3D, but who needs that when you have dozens of alcoholic dwarves covered in the blood of dozens of different creatures vomiting left and right and running away scared from groundhogs?
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 02:14:13 pm »

I got bored to tears and went back to DF.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 02:15:13 pm »

What is Minecraft?
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 02:30:19 pm »

I started out as a Minecraft player along with my girlfriend. We played together for a while until we both lost interest in the game - I stumbled upon a DF comparison thread on the Minecraft forums, and caught interest - and here I am. ::)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 02:43:39 pm »

Who needs [3D] when you have dozens of alcoholic dwarves covered in the blood of dozens of different creatures vomiting left and right and running away scared from groundhogs?

This.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 03:20:34 pm »

If it weren't for Minecraft, I would have never have found DF.  :'(
But that being said, I haven't played Minecraft since!
Pages: [1] 2 3