Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: The Engineer Asylum [Community Engineering Game]  (Read 9720 times)

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
Re: The Engineer Asylum [Community Engineering Game]
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2011, 03:00:37 pm »

Let the dogs bring their puppies.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »

Will the cave-in trap work? Wont the the floor grates stop the walls from falling?

What floor grates?

Also no.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2011, 11:35:42 pm »

!!Urist!! the Combusting
smelter/glassmaker/miner/all engineering
also i propose the DWR to end all DWRs the embark area of reactors think of the power! the ridiculous and unnecessary surplus of power!!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:02:31 am by Scaraban »
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2011, 11:42:55 pm »

I don't think it will be unnecessary.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2011, 12:02:47 am »

I'll test other people's projects, and putting a z-level on the drop for each thing i survive.

Once it reaches 15 z-levels, i'll have it finished and tested.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2011, 02:04:27 pm »

Sure! Just tell me what would be the skills you want him/her to have and I'll choose the best one for you. A whole bunch just came in!
Mechanic, male please. Also I'll test any insane life threating projects.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2011, 02:50:48 pm »

Sorry I couldn't do anything today. Busy day. I'll get extra much work done on Saturday and Sunday. Perhaps I'll even manage a bit more on Friday too.
About my power thingy design. I haven't tested it but I'm confident that it will work. I plan to find an aquifer and let water come from there and make an artificial rifer. Turning a time or two on the same z level then dropping and continuing on the next. Aquifers provide lots of water so I think too little water or not enough flow shouldn't be a problem. In the end I will just pump them back up to the aquifer or just out of the edge of the map. And of course water wheels along the river. Tell me what you think and what flaws you see in it. To me it seems too good to be flawless but I see no flaws.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:59:02 pm by ottottott »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2011, 07:11:07 am »

Hope you got a dwarfy computer. Apart from that it's great.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2011, 02:13:32 pm »

Dwarfy? I assume it means good. Well... I wouldn't worry too much. I keep quite a few programs open that I could actually close while playing DF. If the FPS drops below 50 I'll shut them down.
Due to more RL busyness that I don't feel like talking about here, I couldn't get anything done today either. But I really do think that the next 2 days I can spend a total of 12 hours playing DF. There are always possibilities that I can't and everything but... NVM! I'll try!

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2011, 06:23:13 am »

I finished 2 projects already! :D The bridge and the... I call it the Cage-in-trap. Pictures are in the 1st post. (The Cage-in-trap is missing 1 wall and the supports aren't linked but I thought I'd say it's ready anyways.)
The lava draining is going slow... I got half a layer drained with 1 year. And I want 3 layers drained. Here is a picture of lava flowing down the mountainside.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(I added some walls but seems the lava found a way to get past them. I'll secure it better when the current layer of lava is drained.
2 more artifacts were made. A perfect claro opal worth 1/3 of the fortress value and a fungiwood crown worth 1/10 of the fortress value. I'm drawing pictures of the artifacts BTW. Would you want to see my drawn pictures and/or the descriptions of the 3 artifacts?
I can't seem to find the aquifer the embark promised me either. Any tips? Would a water wheel on lava flow work? I remember the nether-cap being a lava proof wood. I don't have any but I'm just curious.
Completed the 2 dorfing requests. Character sheets in the 1st post, current skills here:
!!Urist!! the Combusting: 13 wood burner, 5 gem cutter, 4 appraiser, 3 potash maker, 2 glassmaker, 2 judge of intent, 2 negotiator, 2 persuader, 2 intimidator, 2 consoler, 2 pacifier, 2 flatterer, 2 conversationalist, 2 comedian, 1 tanner
Urist the Byzantine: 10 stone crafter, 4 bone doctor, 3 flatterer, 2 judge of intent, 2 negotiator, 2 liar, 2 persuader, 2 comedian, 2 pacifier, 2 conversationalist, 2 intimidator, 1 armor user, 1 siege operator, 1 trapper, 1 dodger, 1 observer, 1 archer, 1 surgeon, 1 lasher
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:03:20 am by ottottott »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2011, 11:05:24 am »

Waterwheels are called water for reason. They don't work in magma even if it has flow.
As for aquifer, have you tried digging not in mountain? Can't figure it out from screenshots.
And last one, apartment building needs MORE floors.
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2011, 11:30:40 am »

Nether-cap is magma-safe-ish, due to its fixed temperature. I don't trust it fully, but it doesn't burn up when used in magma pumps.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2011, 12:08:12 pm »

Should I just dig 1x1 holes down at various places until I reach rock or until I find an aquifer?
The apartment building will get 4 more floors. It has 2 now. Then everyone can get a room. (Everyone but 1 if there are no marriages.)
Does a water wheel need free space above it? Would a waterwheel work if it had nothing below, but water running down a side?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2011, 01:55:33 pm »

Should I just dig 1x1 holes down at various places until I reach rock or until I find an aquifer?
I guess it's somewhere 2-4 levels below flat ground. (I mean where you have non-mountain biome.
Does a water wheel need free space above it? Would a waterwheel work if it had nothing below, but water running down a side?
All buildings occupy single z-level, so no above free space needed.
Would a waterwheel work if it had nothing below, but water running down a side?
I guess it only works if there's water flowing below it.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2011, 02:13:21 pm »

:D Thanks for the answers. But I am not on a mountain biome. The volcano causes it. I should have memorized the sand/dirt the embark said the aquifer is on...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13