Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Foothold -- A Succession Invasion!  (Read 19807 times)

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foothold -- A Succession Invasion!
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2011, 12:00:57 am »

Just thought I'd mention this- the military dwarf tantrum may be a result of having their squad scheduled for training with a minimum of more dwarves than are currently present or available in the squad- in which case, they may all just stand around in the barracks without taking actual breaks until they are too hungry/thirsty/tired to continue.

Yes, I did notice during my turn that training was set to a 10 squad member minimum; however I thought nothing of it, as they were training, and somewhat content with the addition of the artifact floodgate in the barracks.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

sepheris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2011, 05:32:58 am »

Moonstone the Thirteenth, 254
I have ordered the construction of a set of weapon traps as a last defense against invaders should they get past our other traps and our soldiers.  Each of the traps contains 5 serrated steel discs and 5 giant axe blades, all crafted of our finest steel.  I am almost tempted to let some of our enemies reach them to see how well they will work once the construction is done but that is likely far in the future given how quickly some dwarves have been working.
I can remember using a similar trap design in a previous fortress. It was constructed out of copper however. I also found out I had a giant cave spider problem... when I saw it's corpse next to the traps.

Also, downloading save now. I have little time today to start doing anything, really, but I have a day off of work tomorrow, so the timing was spot on

EDIT
Had a look around, got lost several dozen times. Trying to decide on what to spend my time doing. Debating cleaning up outside, or leaving corpses/skeletons as "decoration"
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:18:30 pm by sepheris »

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2011, 04:01:10 pm »

leave them as decoration for the elves
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2011, 04:08:32 pm »

It does take a while to get used to the layout of the place doesn't it?
But that's part of the joy of having a fort run by different people each year, we all have our own ideas on how to make things work.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2011, 06:08:00 pm »

Or for bonus points, load the corpses onto a bridge and fling them at the elves the next time you see them!  :D

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2011, 10:20:39 pm »

If only the raws permitted bones/corpses to be used to construct roads
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

sepheris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2011, 10:00:54 am »

I've started the save and write up, but just a heads up, I've got a bad case of a cold/flu so I'm not really motivated for anything right now (other than sleep), so it may take a few extra days, but I'll post my write up in chunks instead of one big one at the end, so you shouldn't have to wait too long for an update

sepheris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2011, 02:55:25 pm »

**OOC: Don't know about any of you, but a few of my tiles are swapped around. The trees and unmined gem clusters and ores are notable ones. I don't think it'll make much difference, just thought I'd point it out**

~~Scribbles from the Journal of Sepharis~~

1st Granite

I have been informed that, due to a 'close call,' the former leader has been relieved of his duties and, effective immediately, I am to take leadership... This could be interesting.

9th Granite
I passed Cog Estiloddom in the corridor today, muttering about gods or some such. I'll have to keep an eye on him.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

9th Granite - Follow-up
Cog has claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop. No one was using it, so that's not too big of an issue. Unfortunately, I doubt he'll make anything useful.

18th Granite
Well, Cog has finally gathered his materials and begun building... something.
It took 9 days... I think the locations of stockpiles and workshops need a bit more organisation. I'll have to look into it.

We got some more migrants. 22 this time, bringing our population up to a total of 141.

23rd Granite
Cog has completed his 'Artifact,' and to the surprise of no one, it is a useless mug. A well decorated mug, but still pretty useless.

I've ordered it to be put in a useless crap finished goods stockpile, along with the other useless artifacts and miscellaneous goods

18th Slate
A number of tame animals seems to be using our fort as a home. I have ordered a kennels constructed and as many of the animals are to be trained as war animals as possible. This will bolster our military ranks. The remaining animals are being relocated to a few new cages set up near the butchers, for convenience.

22nd Slate
I have ordered the construction of a siege workshop. Nothing will be more welcoming for the elves than a ballista bolt to the torso. I am unsure of where to set it up, but I can't keep a smile off my face when I picture the results.

10th Felsite
Vabok Monomurem has given birth to a baby boy. She becomes another of the mothers who are carrying around two babies and still managing to work without problems.

12th Felsite
Crisis time people. Elves have arrived.

Unfortunately, there are no ballistae pointed at the trade depot (let alone anyone skilled enough to hit anything), so I have geared up and joined the military. We'll strike as they begin unloading their goods, catch them off guard.

13th Felsite
I've ordered everyone to take shelter as soon as possible, a siege has arrived. Somewhere in the region of 50 goblins, about two thirds of which are mounted on voracious cave crawlers (reports were iffy as most people were too busy running for the fort). I'm interested in seeing how the elves cope with them, but the goblins seem pretty determined to attack us first, so I have ordered all squads to take up position at the entrance. Reports say about 12-18 of them are equipped with crossbows... I've ordered the squads to be extra careful about them.

**OOC: Forgot to take screen shot of the announcement, so take my word for it... and this pic;

14th Felsite
There are about 3 dwarves outside, holding the entrance. First reports aren't fantastic, the crossbow goblins are proving to be quite a threat at distance.
We have 3 losses so far. One bowyer, who was too slow in getting back, a new recruit (unfortunate, but hardly surprising), and former leader, Branded. It's such a shame that a leader such as him was killed by a stray crossbow bolt.

14th Felsite – Follow-up
If my reports are correct, we lost another dwarf to the crossbows. All 3 squads now lack their appointed commander. Unfortunately, they were the only dwarves to react to the order to kill the goblins. With the lost of the militia commander, Branded, I have appointed myself to the position. With this position, maybe the damned military will listen when I tell them to kill something. But first, I need a brief rest.

**OOC: I swear they are doing this on purpose. Every (living) military dwarf is listed as either sleeping, drinking, or resting. Two are listed as “Cannot follow orders” but I can't for the life of me figure out why. On the plus, I think the weapon traps are going to get one hell of a test.**

**OOC: I was going to post this in seasons, but I'll cut it off there. I'm feeling half conscious due to illness, and let's face it, this is going to end badly whatever I do, but I hope to be able to pay attention and prevent anything too bad. Also, Brandedahall, sorry about the death of your character, but you were one of the only dwarves to respond.**

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2011, 04:47:02 pm »

D: noooooo :(

well... thats a shame :/ hope i get a adamantine lined room + if i have any family i would like them to be buried with me

if that can't be done i would like my next of kin in the military
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2011, 05:15:27 pm »

Worst comes to worst you can always tweak the inside warren to keep people outside the entrance hall and let the invaders pulp themselves on my weapon traps
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2011, 06:39:21 pm »

If you remove the hospital zone, the injured military will fight regardless of injuries.

sepheris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »

So sorry about this, I'm not going to be able to finish my turn. My laptop screen is cracked (long story short, don't place it where dogs could trample it). I'm borrowing my bro's laptop, figure I'd let you know instead of keeping you waiting.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2011, 02:30:01 pm »

Aww. I guess I'll tell Crocatowa to start his turn. I hope your laptop isn't too badly damaged, sepheris.

Those accursed Elves have discovered how to manipulate even real animals into doing their bidding! We must now hold back nothing! FLOOD THEIR PRECIOUS FORESTS WITH THE BLOOD OF THE MOUNTAIN! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:34:02 pm by PotatoLord »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2011, 03:16:38 pm »

Aww. I guess I'll tell Crocatowa to start his turn. I hope your laptop isn't too badly damaged, sepheris.

Those accursed Elves have discovered how to manipulate even real animals into doing their bidding! We must now hold back nothing! FLOOD THEIR PRECIOUS FORESTS WITH THE BLOOD OF THE MOUNTAIN! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
that would still be a forest, a dwarfly, magma-filled forest, but the trees are fine
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2011, 03:36:24 pm »

I can pick it up and start tonight (hopefully). Im currently at TempleCon in RI
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13