Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ah, the joys of dismemberment!  (Read 1158 times)

Nami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ah, the joys of dismemberment!
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:55 pm »

I don't know how to start, so I'll just launch into it, shall I?

Ah, I mean, I shall...

Anyway!

Due to the fact that nothing is happening at my fort, I only have two military (I know, I know, not enough, but they have steel battle axes and the next migrant wave is going into their ranks, so it's cool for now) to buff them up, because drills in the work shop are slow, or at least boring, I have them go hunt any wild animals around, (and any that I have set up in the arena, because I have a perimeter of cage traps around the corner of the map.  One tile between each, because I wanted to keep it fair.) Most recently, it was a lion. 

It's... impressive, what steel battle axes can do to a lion, I sadly don't have screen caps, but!  I can explain more clearly. 

The corpse currently being butchered lacks both its back legs, it's left front leg, which is in two pieces, and ear, one of it's teeth, AND, the front right leg is also gone, but it was first chopped off so hard that it FLEW OVER THE EDGE OF THE CLIFF 7 tiles away 8D;

I know it's not as impressive as some things, but still.  I'm PROUD of my little buggers.

Anyway, does anyone care to share their dismemberment stories?

...that came out creepier than intended.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
Re: Ah, the joys of dismemberment!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:47:57 pm »

I sent a bunch of Swordsmen right at a Goblin horde , and Heads were everywhere , Literally everywhere

Nami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:55:28 pm »

Goblin, or Dwarf?

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »

My last fort had a 50 dwarf military, all but 3 with adamantine battle axes (the other three were already legendaries of mace and swords). Every siege results in a pain in the ass cleanup. It was worse when I just had a hallway of serrated steel discs though. Those things utterly decimate limbs.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »

I built a hallway filled with weapon traps each with 10 large serrated steel discs. I called it 'the eviscerator.'
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:40:39 pm »

Goblin, or Dwarf?

Goblin and dwarf

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:48:23 pm »

I somehow had a dwarf decapitate a goblin, and the head flew into a fortification I had carved for marksdwarves.  It's wedged in there and no one can reach it to dump it, so I guess they'll just have to shoot around.  Caused a great stink until it rotted to a skull though.
Current Fort: NatureRags

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:42:56 am »

In my happy fort of Spyholes, I have three sword masters.  Whenever I send them into battle, limbs go flying off in all directions.  Its a good thing.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:05:28 am »

I use a 15z high 1 tile bridge as my entrance. When a goblin siege trips on one of the 10 fully disc-loaded traps its literally raining limbs over my small keep. I wish battle morale would be better implemented hehehe...

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:28 am »

I unfortunatly sent a pack of 10 axedwarves waving steel at an organic FB recently.

They made short work of the thing, but its size and toughness meant they basically diced it before it bled out.

Where this becomes unfortunate is that your butchers will attempt to butcher each severed part individually, and every single one of those parts will weigh enough to make the dwarf crawl when hauling it and clutter the butcher's shop during the actual job, it took months.

Likewise a seige involving some 30-odd cave crawler mounts.  They wandered into a pack of steel serrated disc traps and im still picking the pieces out of my beard.  These chunks are also being butchered 1 by 1....sigh
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

x0reset

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 12:25:48 pm »

One of my favorite moments involved a couple z-levels...

I was building a cast for an obsidian fortress, and had channeled out a massive ring surrounded by a curtain wall on the z-level above with one small entrance.  The invaders had to enter through the small entrance then immediately walk down a ramp to get to the z -level below, where my squad of legendary axe dwarves were waiting.

This caused a bunch of invaders to group up in front of the entrance waiting to get in.  After watching the battle start I went up a z-level to see what kind of invaders were queuing up outside.  It was then I noticed the body parts flying up over the wall from the level below.

It just creates a beautiful picture...goblins waiting to charge into a fortress get to watch the body parts of their friends who just charged in before them come flying back over the wall.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 12:53:04 pm »

I will only say there is a troll head stuck in my fortifications.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Qracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 01:50:59 pm »

My favorite dismemberment involved a bowgoblin and a woodcutters front tooth.  The tooth caught the bolt, and flew 8 tiles away, leaving a trail of blood.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 03:35:52 pm »

Shit stuck in the fortifications is really annoying, after every siege i have to deconstruct and reconstruct the left side of my archery tower. And yes, the cleanup, like 5 parts per dead goblin. On the bright side sometimes the bits are so small that they rot down to bonecraftable goblin bone.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 03:37:07 pm »

Goblin golf.  One gobbo's head was 20 tiles away from the majority of it's body parts.  I never found the hand of another one.

I also enjoyed recreating the Saarlac pit from Star Wars.  20 z-level drop to serrated blade traps.  Gotta have dwarves ready to clean them out during a siege.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.