Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: how old is your longest running fort ?  (Read 3423 times)

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: how old is your longest running fort ?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 09:18:18 am »

3 years Is my record

Still learning
Desu

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 01:08:41 pm »

My longest running fortress 'Woundcoloured' ran for 10 years, without a drop of alcohol. population never climbed above 40, it was a horrible mess.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 01:15:50 pm »

I had a 14 or 15 year old no immigration fort back in 40d. I eventually quit because my 10 people could never haul off the crap invaders left around my fort.

(It was a modded superrace who could take entire sieges on their own, naked, without skills. I did not need many to defend.)
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 04:30:53 pm »

Running on 19 years for Sunsbanners.  Elaborate defense systems, multi-z-level halls with carved and engraved pillars.  Rooms atop chandeliers, a furnished bedroom for all 233 dwarfs, indoor waterfalls, magma fountains, bridges of death, a running bath house (water is always 3 deep and running), a full squadron of legendary fighters that only use exotic weapons...

Unfortunately, this fort is not very efficient in terms of stockpiles, and crawls along at a very steady 12 fps.  I haven't abandoned it, but when I decided I wanted to build a tower to the moon, I rolled out in a new region.

Currently working for 8 years on Martyrtome, a 12x12 tower made entirely of basalt and furnished entirely with rose gold.  Currently 15 levels above ground, but I'm starting to hit FPS problems (~ 30) here too - probably from mining out the vast (nearly 200 basalt per floor) amounts of stone.

I wish I had a supercomputer just for this game.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:45 pm »

We need to build a massive single thread computer just for DF. To allow us to continue to follow our insane dreams without worrying about FPS.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:38 pm »

22 years and counting, but it's from 40d. I think the population is around 150, and the fps around 5, so it's basically unplayable. But I'm still quite fond of it. It's a huge, disorganized mess of a fort, a monument to lack of planning and sheer idiocy.

I consider it my finest achievement.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 01:15:29 am »

Well, my latest fort is approaching nine years, but my oldest fort was about 15 years old, back in 40d.  Oh, the fun I had in that fort.  Caught some goblin and human local leaders and the elf ruler(!).  I had them mud wrestle naked.  With war elephants.

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 05:58:18 am »

Fortress Whipmine - 13 years
It has survived several invasions and quite a few forgotten beasts.

Fortress Bannerstone - 3 years
I started this one a few days ago and i'm having a blast.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:18:44 am by RiotHouse »

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 07:26:48 am »

That I can recall... I'm on Reveredpapers and it's up to year 5... dunno how much longer it'll last without magma and iron with the forces that have been attacking and how easily my dwarves seem to be dieing and how mentally ill my doctors are.  If my doctors would STOP drinking and actually work on my injured dwarves I'd be doing a LITTLE better at least. :\
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 04:33:00 pm »

3 or 4 years. I'm still learning to play. That fort has no iron, so I'm using bronze. I just finished my magma workshops, and survived 2 sieges with the power of cage traps, and zerg of undertrained soldiers hitting goblins with wooden crossbows. 70-90 dwarfs, 180 animals, 50 FPS (but I upgraded my Core 2 Duo E6550 to E8500, and with pending memory upgrade and overclosking there is still hope).

My second embark is on an old Pentium 4, and 1 season old. It has 10 dwarfs. Curiously I couldn't get any underground plants or booze on embark, so I stick with gathering for booze, and have some aboveground farms planned. Breaching the caverns and gathering plants should get me some seeds tough. This embark also has iron and coal. (but I'm not sure about flux).
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 05:07:50 pm »

Minebowels was founded in the spring of 583 and abandoned in the early winter of 602 after i couldn't be arsed to clean up another goblin siege (fucking axelords). Thanks to sparing mining and a pop cap of 150 (still ended up with more than 160 dorfs after some syndrome made dwarfs suffocate down to 148 once), the fps was still very playable, but not when ordering 100 dwarfs to dump gazillions of goblin arms and legs and clothing (which still took a whole season for every siege). Over 50 artifacts were made, about 25 million wealth were generated.
I guess I'm now ready to tackle more challenging embarks, but first i will set out to kill the few remaining megabeasts with my masterwork blue metal clad axedwarf adventurer.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 05:15:58 pm »

72 years. Precisely 1488 - 1560. It was at 30 FPS, dozens of megaprojects completed, magma mist behind crystal glass lining the halls.

I just got bored and flooded everything with magma from the highest tower I had.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 05:48:10 pm »

One of my favorite forts lasted eighteen years. Copperfarm, an entirely above ground farming fort back when the goblins weren't rushing over the hill constantly. Died with a combination of lag (had a lake nearby and it was constantly raining despite turning weather off) and to much wasted time food hauling. Had 42 dwarves, about 18 were actually adults. :P

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 07:40:06 pm »

Not quite sure what my oldest one was. Probably not a decade.

Problem: I get tired of the sub-10 FPS rate, even on a 3x3 site.

So, I bought a new PC. Right before 2010.

Problem: I fuck myself over with the limitting-of-squad-count new squad system.
RAAAGE. Damn Goblins.

I spent five reclaim expeditions on that place, and in the end, the one remaining goblin became superpowered and just bitch slapped everybody out of the way. Sigh.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 09:45:51 pm »

The oldest fort known to these forums is probably Flarechannel which lasted 213 or so years, and during that time erected thousands of blocks of massively detailed architecture.

Personally speaking, my oldest fort lasted 52 years, and can be found here.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2] 3