Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434519 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #3915 on: October 18, 2011, 06:24:07 pm »

One important detail.

Ponies are herbivores. I don't think those dragons possess sharp teeth just for show.

Good point. If Spike's any indication, though, she'll be able to subsist off of gems. Considering Rarity's her best friend, I don't think she'll have a terrible time, and since dragons seem to have an affinity for finding treasure, she'll probably be able to support herself anyway.
Nothing important here, move along.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: October 18, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »

One important detail.

Ponies are herbivores. I don't think those dragons possess sharp teeth just for show.

Good point. If Spike's any indication, though, she'll be able to subsist off of gems. Considering Rarity's her best friend, I don't think she'll have a terrible time, and since dragons seem to have an affinity for finding treasure, she'll probably be able to support herself anyway.

Hm. Who is saying that gems aren't just a baby sort of food to toughen up the teeth? That would make sense. It would help the teeth grow a lot better, and thus be able to eat things without too much struggle.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: October 18, 2011, 06:29:14 pm »

One important detail.

Hm. Who is saying that gems aren't just a baby sort of food to toughen up the teeth? That would make sense. It would help the teeth grow a lot better, and thus be able to eat things without too much struggle.

How would it help the teeth grow? And why do the other dragons who are full grown collect gems and treasure?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: October 18, 2011, 06:30:16 pm »

Good point.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: October 18, 2011, 06:30:21 pm »

To line their nest, according to Rarity.

'Course could be for food, or maybe they're greedy. Or all of the above.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: October 18, 2011, 06:34:17 pm »

You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: October 18, 2011, 06:35:09 pm »

Pony...blob...plushie...

Shit I wish I had money.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: October 18, 2011, 06:35:34 pm »

You could pass it off as not my little pony in a pickle.

Say it's one of those microorganism plushies. With hair. And a horn.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: October 18, 2011, 06:36:34 pm »

I think with that horn you'd want to admit it's My Little Pony.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: October 18, 2011, 06:39:29 pm »

Get me a Rainbow Dash one and it'll join Fluffy and Hello Kitty in my bed.

Yeah, I still have toys in my bed. What of it?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: October 18, 2011, 06:40:04 pm »

It's a spore toy, that's what it is! :P

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: October 18, 2011, 06:47:38 pm »

...The hell, 24 replies?!

Anyway, I finished chapter 8 of For Want of a Dawn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:49:21 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: October 18, 2011, 07:43:36 pm »

One important detail.

How would it help the teeth grow? And why do the other dragons who are full grown collect gems and treasure?

I would also like to know how that would help the teeth grow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Trixie was a traveling magician. It was completely proper for her to maintain a character facade of being arrogantly over the top. The mane cast didn't get it, and interpreted her role literally. It was inappropriate for them to seriously challenge her, just like it would be inappropriate for an audience member to tell a real life stage magician that his magic wasn't real. Of course it's not real, and of course Trixie probably wasn't the greatest most powerful magician in the land. She was simply putting on a show.

I got more of a quack medicine peddler vibe from her. Like it was a show, but it was a show that was about to turn into a sales pitch for some kind of product that doesn't work. Like some kind of horn enhancement tonic or something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sister feels unappreciated and is bringing the world to famine, wiping out all food supplies, but you know, the world will freeze first.

Pure conjecture. Given how in Equestria every single thing in the environment is under strict governmental control (including the changing of seasons), I'd say there's no reason to think any of that would occur.

And yes, eternal night is about as bad as can be for every nonmagical pony in the land. Magically gifted unicorns might be able to create food, but all crops will eventually die and the ecosystems at large will be completely ruined. Society as it is will crumble.

Again, that is based on the assumption that Equestria is governed by the same laws of physics as our world, but it's been shown numerous times that it isn't. The only thing that works the same as our world is the Everfree Forest, and most ponies would probably be quite glad to get rid of that.

That last one isn't an assumption. Plants do need sunlight to grow. If you need any tiny bit of proof to that, there's the single verse in "Winter Wrap Up" that says "With proper care and sunshine / everyone it feeds.", referring the "tiny seeds" of the previous verse. Since this whole show is built around recognizability (no other reason for ponies to wear saddles as clothing, for instance), I can assume it's all Like Reality Unless Noted. So, since we don't get anything to prove it otherwise (as we do with weather patterns and pegasi, and day/night cycles and whatever immor(t)al government figure happens to be in charge), I can assume that plants need the same basic requirements to grow - sunlight, water, and proper climate.

With regard to this debate, I would like to chime in that I think that eternal night would probably kill all of the plants. However, it has been shown that magic does exist in Equestria that can create food in large quantities, given a powerful enough magic user (Remember when Discord turned all the weather into candy?). Presumably the alicorn ponies seem to have levels of magical ability comparable to Discord, and so Celestia might have been able to keep everybody fed through magic, although I believe that stopping Nightmare Moon's scheme was the more pragmatic option (although the question remains as to why Celestia banished Luna rather than exorcising her like Twilight did).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:02:45 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: October 18, 2011, 08:07:50 pm »

Not sure on the light thing. It's clear that plants need pony intervention to grow (it's mentioned that plants grow "by themselves" in the Everfree Forest, and this is something of note), but that doesn't actually rule out that they need other things.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: October 18, 2011, 08:13:54 pm »

In case you don't remember, Celestia was presumably banished to the sun (watch the end of The Elements of Harmony, Part 2, where she appears to descend from the newly risen sun) so she couldn't have helped the ponies much. The only option was to stop Nightmare Moon with the Elements of Harmony lest everyone die of famine.

The fact that Nightmare Moon was beyond simple negotiation or pleading was probably the entire reason that she was stuck on the moon for 1000 years. Celestia probably hoped that the banishment would be like an advanced time-out, giving Luna time to calm down, but gave up hope when Luna didn't come back. Hell, she probably orchestrated Nightmare Moon's return well in advance as a last-ditch effort to get Luna back.

Ninja edit: It was stated by Lauren Faust herself, somewhere, that the plants did need light to grow. It was a reply to a question on DeviantArt I believe, I don't have the link or know where to look for it though.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 283