Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434608 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #3780 on: October 17, 2011, 04:34:44 pm »

And by "pegasus technology" I assume you mean teams of slave pegasi pulling the damn things, yes?  :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: October 17, 2011, 04:34:53 pm »

Um.. the ponies LIVE here. They're supposed to be the ONLY things living here, along with similar animals. There were never any humans in Equestria... so yeah, it still doesn't make sense.

Well, except the only thing I can think of, a water tank, but that still doesn't explain why it's got the chimney thing. In other words, recognizability won over originality of the universe. I realize this still is a cartoon primarily aimed at the toys' target age/gender group, but at this point I wouldn't mind if the series forgot the toyline and just tried to follow itself, building a proper fantasy universe.

ninja edit: and yes, zeppelins. Well, they do have the whatchamacallit-balloon, so I suppose that counts. It'd probably be run by unicorns though, not pegasi. Pegasi can fly as-is, they've no need for this. Earth ponies have no means to do it, considering everything they have is low-tech. This leaves unicorns - enough incentive to want to fly, and enough ability and magic aptitude to achieve it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: October 17, 2011, 04:39:33 pm »

And by "pegasus technology" I assume you mean teams of slave pegasi pulling the damn things, yes?  :P

That is a possibility, but I'm sure the writers could come up with a not-entirely-batshit-insane explanation for making them light enough that it would only take a little effort to move them. And if there are any slaves involved, they will obviously be griffons. Celestia is a benevolent dictator, after all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: October 17, 2011, 04:40:33 pm »

Oh so now it's slavery and racism in this children's cartoon? Nice.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: October 17, 2011, 04:45:39 pm »

They're miniature horses. We humans use their non-intelligent for transportation. If they want to get somewhere, they can just walk. If they want to get somewhere far and fast, they could just slap a hydrogen rocket on a pair of wings and pray to Celestia that at least part of them makes it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: October 17, 2011, 04:48:37 pm »

Well, it doesn't have to be slavery. I mean, ever heard of rickshaw? Twilight gets to use Celestia's personal pegasus-carriage when she arrives into Ponyville, and Celestia herself (despite being a... what do you call those? Allicorn? I prefer Unigasus. :P) uses it from time to time. It could just be a line of work, like the movers that obliged to provide Twilight with some "heavy" slapstick that one time.

ninja edit: TBP, that's straying part into DF, part into KSP territory.

I approve. ;D

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: October 17, 2011, 04:53:29 pm »

If they want to get somewhere, they can just walk. If they want to get somewhere far and fast, they could just slap a hydrogen rocket on a pair of wings and pray to Celestia that at least part of them makes it.

You've been playing Kerbal Space Program, haven't you. Or you might be referring to this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: October 17, 2011, 05:02:24 pm »

Surprisingly, I haven't been playing KSP recently. I just figured that slapping a rocket on a pair of wings was a normal way of getting around. Around here, it's the only way we can get to town.

In all seriousness, the whole idea of the pullers sleeping in the front compartment makes a little sense. You'd think they'd just lodge at the inn of whatever stop they were at, though.

If they did have a zeppelin, I wouldn't imagine it being too hard for them to use either workers to pull it or some kind of non-combustion engine to drive the propellers. Or maybe even a combustion engine that used something other than fossil fuels. I wonder if a small boiler could be held aloft with a zeppelin...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: October 17, 2011, 05:08:45 pm »

Earth ponies could... hm. Well, they could probably have treadmills connected to propellers. I don't think there's a single self-propelled vehicle anywhere in Equestria. It's mostly unicorn magic, or flying pegasi.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: October 17, 2011, 05:16:30 pm »

I wonder if a small boiler could be held aloft with a zeppelin...

Oh quite easily: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giffard_dirigible

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: October 17, 2011, 05:23:56 pm »

Wait a goddamn second. I just remembered another thing that stood out to me in the new episode, in the intro. If you can, rewatch it now, and pay attention to the train passing as Twilight's balloon lands.

It is moving under its own power.

Witchcraft, I say!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: October 17, 2011, 05:28:22 pm »

Hey, they got self-propelled technology now! Maybe that idea I had about Scoots getting a motorcycle could come true!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: October 17, 2011, 05:41:56 pm »

Maybe that idea I had about Scoots getting a motorcycle could come true!
There would be no emoticon or reaction image to express my displeasure :P

The setting is supposed to be medieval with as little schizo tech as needed to show the story. A candle instead of a light switch if at all possible, for example.

Something steampunky would be disastrous outside of fanon, I think D:
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:21 pm »

Who says it was going to be steampunk? I was thinking a modern crotch rocket.

But, yeah, it seems they're trying to stick to medieval. With trains. Medieval with trains.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: October 17, 2011, 05:49:13 pm »

But, yeah, it seems they're trying to stick to medieval. With trains. Medieval with trains.
http://comments.deviantart.com/4/1603670/1926366980
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 283