Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434611 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #3735 on: October 16, 2011, 10:08:31 pm »

Another idea, which could be done purely for the sake of creating a massive superfandom: Touhou/MLP.
There are already comparisons and crossovers (mainly pics) between Touhou and MLP. I've even heard MLP described as "America's Touhou."

A pony doing danmaku would be pretty awesome, though. I wonder what kind of spell card Twilight would use.

[Love Sign] Friendship is Magic, perhaps?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have the idea of making a pony danmaku bouncing around in my head.
Of course I have no idea how to go about such a feat. Seeing that Sonic Rainboom card a bunch of pages ago sparked that particular idea.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: October 16, 2011, 11:48:37 pm »

I'd just like to note that the entirety of season 2 was written while Faust still had her old position.
An' I'm out.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: October 17, 2011, 01:15:03 am »

Oh my gods, what is this?
This is Eppaljeck. Frankly I'm surprised this didn't show up sooner. The next video is Eppaljeck's Intacs, followed by A few requests for Eppaljeck, finishing with Eppaljeck 4.0: Payback.
くコ:彡

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: October 17, 2011, 04:08:48 am »

Why are there so many mental breakdowns in this children's show?

Also, what. The. FUCK.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: October 17, 2011, 04:13:46 am »

Watched Episode 3.

Twilight freaking the heck out was painful to watch.

On the upside, now we'll get to see Pinkie Pie send Princess Celestia like a billion Post-it-Note letters.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: October 17, 2011, 04:26:27 am »

Anybody else remember Twilight's line from the first episode?

"All the ponies in this town are CRAZY!"

Well...

I guess it's rubbed off on her. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: October 17, 2011, 04:33:06 am »

Well they are. IIRC there isn't a major character who hasn't had a mental breakdown yet.
Also, am I the only one who thinks they may have overdone it a bit on the facial animation in this episode? Yeah, she was losing it, but holy Christ! Those were some of the most terrifying and disturbing scenes I've ever seen in a cartoon.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: October 17, 2011, 05:01:10 am »

Yeah, breakdown!Twilight was the most difficult to watch part of the episode. I think someone accidentally cranked her OCD dial way too high. If it was anyone, Twilight seemed to be the most out-of-character pony this episode, closely followed by drama-mode Rarity. The others were... off in places, but still reasonably believable. All in all, I'm still waiting for the next episode.

Also, the new unicorn magic sparkles and stuff is probably just the animators' idea of an Animation Bump, or Art Upgrade. You can see a lot of new stuff in the intro (different backgrounds in several places, more foreground effects, shine effects, etc), and the seemingly new-sounding title sequence is still the old sequence with an extra track over it, which seems to play mostly when it's Twilight's voice singing. No idea why they thought they needed to improve anything in the sound department, the old title song was great. Para-translating a russian proverb, "The Better is oft the Good's undoing" - meaning you can ruin something good trying to make it better. A lot of people doing good things should remember that one more often.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:02:52 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: October 17, 2011, 05:02:32 am »

On the upside, now we'll get to see Pinkie Pie send Princess Celestia like a billion Post-it-Note letters.

Yes, at first I was skeptical about that. New art and poor characterization aside, having the very first episode produced under new management change one of the most consistent precedents of the show, established from day one and carried out in every episode...changing something that fundamental didn't exactly instill me with faith in the new director.

But, if it's intended to allow episodes to focus on characters other than Twilight Sparkle, while still allowing the end-of-episode aesop, it might be a good move. Twilight is not one of my favorite characters, and having an episode format that always requires her to learn some lesson makes it more difficult to allow other characters to have the focus.

Plenty of reasons to be concerned. But a few reasons to hopeful. This is one of them.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: October 17, 2011, 05:13:53 am »

Well, it wasn't always Twilight Sparkle learning the lesson on friendship, though she still is the main character, so her being related to, or participating in learning said lesson is pretty much a given. Almost by definition, there can't be a FiM episode without Twilight, because Friendship Is Magic, and Twilight is the spirit of Magic, and, ergo, Friendship.

We've also already had a few episodes that were not focusing on Twilight. Sonic Rainboom was pretty much all about Dash and Rarity, and the whatever-its-called Applebucking episode was about Applejack's misadventures, Twilight was just the "friendship medium". So, the writers could already do what you're describing there, and the only new thing they're setting up with this is officially allowing the rest of the "mane six" to submit reports directly on their findings. I'm not sure it was worth derailing Twilight so much, even if it's temporary.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: October 17, 2011, 05:56:14 am »

Also, am I the only one who thinks they may have overdone it a bit on the facial animation in this episode?
Not at all.

To me this was the animation equivalent of chewing on the scenery; way overacted.

Re: New opening.

Eh I don't think the new one's bad, but it's not any better either. If they wanted a new intro they should've made a new intro, rather than "remastering" the old one.

Re: Everyone sending letters.

Potentially a good thing, as Bucket said.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:58:09 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: October 17, 2011, 08:14:02 am »

Hey guys, do any of you know some good tearjerking fanfics? 'Cause I'd like to read one and see if I can cry for some fictional ponies, for the better.

Here comes the baaawwww...

Blood, Sweat and Tears (Applejack backstory, Sadfic)
Simply Rarity (Rarity backstory, Sadfic)
Today, Tomorrow and Forever (Derpy & Dinky, Sadfic)
Heart of Gold, Feathers of Steel (Gilda backstory, Sadfic)
Muffins (Ditzy backstory, Sadfic)
Circle of Friends (Mane 6 future, Sadfic)

And last but not least...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: October 17, 2011, 12:45:58 pm »

The only thing that really bothered me was Spike breaking the fourth wall with the backdrops (wheeling them away etc).  Bugged me a lot but that's the only thing.  In my headcanon, everyone else was acting silly and dismissive because they were trying to forget about that whole Discord thing.

Twilight Sparkle was EXACTLY like a panicked grad student here, down to the crazy OCD and possible academic fraud.

What shocked me is that Celestia, while clearly upset, never explicitly pointed out that Twi's magic was immoral.  Twilight is more powerful than genies, and apparently as long as it's used /responsibly/, love potions are ethical.  If you've got a horn, natch.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: October 17, 2011, 12:52:00 pm »

I actually found the fourth wall thing really funny and also quite clever. It's something of a visual metaphor for what's going on, Twi's freaking out and then Spike points out that it's not really such a big deal. And it's the same with the backgrounds, they seem to be all dramatic and so on, and then Spike comes along and it turns out they're just mundane things. Or something.
This made a lot more sense in my head.
Anyway, I liked that bit.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 283