Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434917 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #3555 on: October 12, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »

Fine, fine.

I was in the "everyone's equally awesome" crowd until I had watched the first season a second time through. It's weird to say this about a fictional character, but I like Applejack because she has my respect. To me she's the largely unnoticed but always there to help pony; the one who will pick up other's slack without a word and be sympathetic to everyone's problems. One of the better examples of this is in dragonshy; while everyone else was complaining or sitting around doing nothing, Applejack dragged Fluttershy up the mountain without a word of complaint and without being asked. She's sort of the "big sis" of the group, and without being overbearing or controlling.

Also (though this is approaching fanon territory), I think she has self esteem issues. Not like rainbow dash who feels the need to be the best at something and to be important, but rather I think Applejack needs to feel useful to have self worth. She feels the need to justify her being friends with the others and does so by helping out. This (combined with the bet to Big Mac) is why she was so stubborn about getting help in applebuck season; if she couldn't be useful on her own farm...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: October 12, 2011, 06:35:50 pm »

The funny part is that I was saying that every pony is best pony, but that is really boring.

Rainbow Dash is best pony because she breaks speed of sound and pretends she doesn't afraid of everything.

Luna is best pony because best pony is Luna.

It was circular logic. Know what else is circular?

8)

THE MOON.

Also, D'AWW.

Twilight is best pony because she is massively adorkable.

Fluttershy is best pony because she is an adorable badass.

Applejack is best pony because accent and hat. Also, pony is credit to team (she works hard).

Rarity is best pony because marshmallow.

Pinkie is best pony because I own a company that builds fourth walls.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: October 12, 2011, 06:51:53 pm »

Loves books and learning, slight social issues, gets along with everybody... I feel like Twilight would seriously be the perfect match for me if she really existed. That's all I got.

For me personally, Twilight seems kind of boring. She's the straight man of the group. That makes her very useful for the group dynamic, but personally...not very interesting. She's adorkable, but Fluttershy is more lovable, and personally, "lovable geek" doesn't do much for me. "Loving books and learning" and "has slight social issues" ...I don't see these as positive traits. I'm sure Twilight would be fine to visit, would make a good ally, would be reliable, dependanble, and a good friend...but she doesn't inspire an emotional reaction in me like some of the others.

Have you ever flown faster than the speed of sound? Have you ever heard of any creature alive that can?
There is one pony that can do this by flapping her wings hard. She is best pony.

Ok, but in a world where a third of everypony can do magic, being able to fly fast somehow seems less awesome to me. More to the point though, how would you make a relationship out of "she goes fast" ? And maybe that question doesn't matter to you. Perhaps you'd be content to put her up on a pedestal and admire her from a distance as you squint to try and see her while she flies. But to me, I don't see a lot of potential for actually relating to her personally. Like TheBronzePickle said a few posts up, you could probably get to be her friend by feeding her ego, but again...it doesn't particularly appeal to me to try to make friends by telling someone how awesome they are.

When I think about "which is best pony" I don't imagine them as faraway entities that I'll never meet. I think of them in the context of actually spending time with them in person. Twilight would make a good friend, sure...but what would one actually do with her? Read books together? Umm, ok. And Dash, again, if you can't fly, the fact that she's a fast flier just means you don't get to spend much time with her. And if you can fly, can you fly faster? If you can, doesn't that diminish her awesomeness? And if you can't, is it really that much fun to have a friendship with someone based on the fact that they're better than you? Or are you aiming to be neck and neck and have a friendly rivalry? I can see that working, but when I hear people say Dash is their favorite, I don't usually get the impression they imagine competing with her at all.

if one were to actually have a personal relationship with a pony, rather than simply admire them from a distance, I think Pinkie Pie would be the most fun. Applejack might be the salt of the earth, but I wouldn't want to spend my social time collecting apples. Rarity is classy, but she's busy most of the time. Sure, you could offer to dig gems for her, and you could talk to her a lot, but whether in the shop or digging gems, eitehr way Rarity is a bit too much of a workaholic for my tastes. Fluttershy is adorable, but I think having to be delicate all the time would get tiresome eventually, and taking care of animals isnt' my idea of a good time.

But Pinkie, you could be magically transported to Ponyville and in five minutes be dancing and laughing and playing and having food fights and eating candy and cake. That sounds fun to me. And when crazy adventures happen, Pinkie would be there enthusiastically enjoying them. It might be hard to keep up. But it would be more fun than reading books, or picking apples, or watching the speck in the sky that is Rainbow Dash, or digging gems or standing very still while Rarity uses you as a mannequin, or cleaning up after animals.

Of the mane six, Pinkie would be the most fun.

Now, if you want shipping, I don't think Pinkie would make the best girlfriend. But if I were transported to Ponyville, of the mane six, she'd be the one I'd be most excited to meet and spend time with.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: October 12, 2011, 07:08:08 pm »

I think you spend too much time writing this stuff out, LordBucket. :o

But seriously, that was certainly an interesting read. Pinkie's insane hyperactivity would probably wear me out pretty quickly, but for some she could be the best choice.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: October 12, 2011, 07:41:10 pm »

See, I'm torn. Half the time, you'll find me reading a book, loving purely to learn. The other half of the time, I'm bordenline suicidal and being probably my own worst critic.

So while I adore Fluttershy, there's no way I could even become friends with her. She's too shy, and I'm too self critical to even try.

Twilight Sparkle would be possibly worse. We'd both be caught up in our books, and when we did talk, we'd both be too prideful to admit being wrong, or I'd be so self critical that I'd just go along with whatever she said.

Rarity would be probably worse than either. I've a lack of empathy, and her personality would drive me even further into my book.

Rainbow Dash....see Rarity, only more so.

Applejack might be a bit better, but even then, my self-critical side would be a bit too nonsense-like for her.

Pinkie Pie.... Probably the only pony who could start a friendship at all, so there's that. But then I'd probably forget her. I've a bad history with that sort of thing.

Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: October 12, 2011, 07:57:40 pm »

I've not been able to decide which pony I like the most.  I generally just lump them into two groups of of most liked and least liked:

Most liked:
Fluttershy
Twiligh Sparkle
Rainbow Dash

Least liked:
Applejack
Pinkie Pie
Rarity

I don't dislike any of them, I just like the top three more than the others.  I actually do feel kind of bad for Applejack for being the most mundane of the group (and less so for Pinkie, since they're both Earth ponies and thus less special by default).  I just don't jive with Rarity much at all, and only slightly moreso with Pinkie.

My appreciation for Applejack did go up a few notches when I installed the My Little Fortress mod though and started naming ponies after canon characters.  Applejack had a failed mood, bit off a wolf pup's food before crushing its skull, stomped the guts of its mother before shaking it around by the neck until it died, all before having her head kicked in by Braeburn.  I giggled for like 10 minutes.

In all seriousness though, I like all of the ponies.  Applejack, Pinkie and Rarity included.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: October 12, 2011, 07:57:54 pm »

Yeah, even though my personality matches closest to Twilight's, it would probably get kind of awkward eventually. Rarity is not really the kind of person I could even try to like. Rainbow Dash, maybe, but people who brag all the time eventually get on my nerves. Even though I don't adore Fluttershy, I could probably get along with her. She's too shy, even for me, though, I know a guy like that, I've never heard his voice in all the years I've known him. Applejack would be one of the better ones, probably next to Twilight, but I'm not entirely sure if she would like my only partially serious attitude. Same here about Pinkie, Dsarker. ::)

Oh, and pony.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:01:37 pm by Jacob/Lee »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: October 12, 2011, 08:05:17 pm »

The best friends are the ones who not just tolerate each other's faults, but help one another overcome them. Without each other, the ponies would likely be much less interesting and likable.

Twilight Sparkle is kept out of isolation by her friends, who make sure she gets the exposure and love she needs.

Rainbow Dash is kept in check by the other ponies, who make sure her ego doesn't grow too big and start swallowing her.

Pinkie Pie is given an easy outlet for her destructive energies, as well as the audience she's dependent on.

Fluttershy is, like Twilight, kept out of isolation, but she also is encouraged to become stronger and more secure in herself.

Applejack has a group for her caring tendencies to be spread out on, instead of being bottled up or forced on her poor younger sister (who herself would likely be changed by the stifling overprotection).

No matter how much you might like one of the ponies over the other, you have to consider that they might not be so wonderful if it wasn't for all of them being there in the first place.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: October 12, 2011, 08:07:00 pm »

Which has been the subject of what I estimate as 47 metric fucktons of fanfictions.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: October 12, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »

Rarity
her personality would drive me even further into my book.
Rarity is not really the kind of person I could even try to like
I just don't jive with Rarity much at all

One does not "jive" with Rarity, darling. One simply appreciates her elegance.:P

Curious to see so many people agreeing that Rarity would be difficult to get along with. She seems more patient and forgiving than any of the others. She might be the first to notice a social faux pas, but she'd also be the most likely to ignore it once noticed, and to leap to one's defense to help save face. Do something foalish in front of Rainbow Dash, she'd laugh in your face. Do something foalish in front of Hoity Toity and he'd loudly proclaim to the world at large what an uncouth barbarian you are. Do something foalish in front of Rarity, and she'd pretend it never happened so as to not embarrass you. That's classy.

If one is of the "sup, dude, let's guzzle beer and have a belching competition!" mentality, I see how she might be grating. But simply by showing a little class, or appreciation of it, I think she'd be very easy to win as a friend.

Again, my only problem with Rarity is that like Applejack, she works too much.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: October 12, 2011, 08:19:37 pm »

How many fucktons in Imperial?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: October 12, 2011, 08:24:47 pm »

Long fuckton or short fuckton?
Nothing important here, move along.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:02 pm »

To all For Want of a Dawn bros, we have chapter 7.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: October 12, 2011, 08:39:10 pm »

Gah! Why didn't I think of this sooner? Somepony needs to ponify the Clannad dango song!

Dango Daikazoku - Original
Dango Daikazoku - Pikachu

Complete with a suitable mare in the moon sequence. That's begging to be ponified.

This must be done!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: October 12, 2011, 09:05:44 pm »

See, I'm not of what one might refer to as the 'social' type. I just about talk with maybe 17 people, max.

I literally wouldn't know what to say.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 283