Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434963 times)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #3525 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:15 am »

So, I just read a Soarin/Caramel shipping fic, and for a moment I thought it... odd. I've read f/f ships (pretty much the only ones that exist in the MLP universe q:) and straight ships, but the first male ship I picked up seemed weird. I immediately noticed my reaction and called myself out on it.
Why do I not mind every other form of shipping, but get awkward when I pick up a shipping story between two males? I don't find it awkward when Twilight falls for Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash hooks up with Applejack, so why is this different? I think the answer is that it's a tad bit awkward reading about gay ships because I'm a guy, but I don't know if that's the real reason.
So, I mustache you guys a question. What do you think about lesbian/gay ships? I know pretty much everyone here doesn't care about sexual orientation, but I want to know if you enjoy them as much as any other or whether you feel awkward when you read them.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: October 12, 2011, 08:09:33 am »

If I read a ship fic, it's more likely that I heard it was entertaining for some other reason than it being a ship fic. This usually ends up making any icky feelings I might bet from being a heterosexual reading homosexual material null.

That said, I don't think I've ever actually read a ship between two colts. I wonder if there are any good ones I'd enjoy.
Nothing important here, move along.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: October 12, 2011, 08:33:55 am »

Just got a reply, my prologue has gone to the prereaders... Time to cross my hooves.

Also, Dsarker: Another 40K crossover?  :o I'll give it a read while I get ready to meet with my advisor at waytooearlyinthegoddamnmorningwhycan'tyoukeepdecentofficehours.

Edit:

Nooooo don't eat Fluttershy! Well, at least the HiE has an in-universe reason for being a bastard, unlike so many other fics. I honestly didn't come across any really serious issues. One point: In the third where Twilight is trying to follow Celestia and Lunas' reasoning, you have her mention that if the ponies in the area knew the truth, they might end up "...running for the proverbial hills, scared that another ursa major was attacking...".

If you're trying to imply that the ponies of Ponyville would overreact to the news of something strange in the area (Trixie), while mentioning a previous result of that behavior from canon is a good route to take, you should probably either clarify it a bit more or just drop it entirely, as in the current state it could easily be misread as a misremembrance of canon events (it was, after all, only an ursa minor, which itself was there largely as a vehicle for Twi to show up Trixie) rather than a worldbuilding tool. Yeah, a minor concern, but some people (<---) get obsessive over details like that.  :P

I'm way too tired to understand this, but I'm assuming HiE stands for Human in Equestria and you're talking about my fic? :P

Fakeedit: just read it myself, and I've found the bit you were referring to.

I defend that as being what the townsponies thought it was as opposed to what might really have been there.

If it does change, this was completely unrelated, and not at all due to your catching one of my worse errors gracious, kind, and hospitable editing.

Real edit: you fething punmeister, you! ;)
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: October 12, 2011, 09:06:27 am »

Just got a reply, my prologue has gone to the prereaders... Time to cross my hooves.

Also, Dsarker: Another 40K crossover?  :o I'll give it a read while I get ready to meet with my advisor at waytooearlyinthegoddamnmorningwhycan'tyoukeepdecentofficehours.

Edit:

Nooooo don't eat Fluttershy! Well, at least the HiE has an in-universe reason for being a bastard, unlike so many other fics. I honestly didn't come across any really serious issues. One point: In the third where Twilight is trying to follow Celestia and Lunas' reasoning, you have her mention that if the ponies in the area knew the truth, they might end up "...running for the proverbial hills, scared that another ursa major was attacking...".

If you're trying to imply that the ponies of Ponyville would overreact to the news of something strange in the area (Trixie), while mentioning a previous result of that behavior from canon is a good route to take, you should probably either clarify it a bit more or just drop it entirely, as in the current state it could easily be misread as a misremembrance of canon events (it was, after all, only an ursa minor, which itself was there largely as a vehicle for Twi to show up Trixie) rather than a worldbuilding tool. Yeah, a minor concern, but some people (<---) get obsessive over details like that.  :P

I'm way too tired to understand this, but I'm assuming HiE stands for Human in Equestria and you're talking about my fic? :P

Fakeedit: just read it myself, and I've found the bit you were referring to.

I defend that as being what the townsponies thought it was as opposed to what might really have been there.

If it does change, this was completely unrelated, and not at all due to your catching one of my worse errors gracious, kind, and hospitable editing.

Real edit: you fething punmeister, you! ;)

That was basically what I thought you were doing, but it felt like it might be a little unclear to some people. (Luna knows I have that problem in my writing often enough...) 

And yeah, couldn't resist the pun.  :P

Regarding shipping: I see it more as a study on the interaction of the personalities (and how cute they are together) rather than a sexual thing. Either way, pairings only bother me if I don't think they work.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:22:04 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: October 12, 2011, 09:36:24 am »

Shipping?  I normally don't read any of em, only when it comes with the package and is not a focus.

I do not mind homosexual relations, just as long as it doesn't scream 'Look at me! I'm gayin a relationship!'.

Yea, shipping based fiction ain't my cup of tea.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: October 12, 2011, 11:01:25 am »

I don't read fanfiction period, but I've no problem with shipping (and hetero/homo is all the same to me).

I'm weirdly partial to Discord/Celestia. With Discord being an abusive boyfriend who gets sealed in stone for being a total jackass.

EDIT: I exclaimed holy crap twice. Once when I saw the plushie, then again when I saw the price tag.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:16:31 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: October 12, 2011, 11:36:25 am »

Honestly, if my job when I'm not at uni payed more than $8.00/hr, I'd probably buy it. Looks like someone put a crapload of work into making it awesome, and between that and the fact that it is a Gala Fluttershy plushie, it would be worth it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: October 12, 2011, 11:47:32 am »

Holy shaz, that is some quality plushie right there.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: October 12, 2011, 12:11:26 pm »

EDIT: I exclaimed holy crap twice. Once when I saw the plushie, then again when I saw the price tag.

That price? That's nothing. Life-size Rainbow Dash plushie. It doesn't look as nice as the Fluttershy one, but take a gander at how much someone was willing to pay for it.

Sorry if you've already seen it. I don't recall where I found the link. It may have been this very thread.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: October 12, 2011, 01:40:28 pm »

'Twas this very thread.

Now I wish I had thread, needle, and cloth. I'd see how well I could crank out a plushie. It'd probably either suck or take me forever to finish, unfortunately.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

3. Run Resize Enable

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: October 12, 2011, 02:22:20 pm »

If it were me, it probably would both suck and take forever to finish. "Sure it looks terrible now, but I'm certain it'll be fine when I'm done."
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: October 12, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »

Spoiler: And I would say yes. (click to show/hide)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: October 12, 2011, 03:36:10 pm »

As would I. Because Twilight = best pony.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: October 12, 2011, 03:41:39 pm »

As would I. Because Twilight = best pony.

That's a strange way to spell Fluttershy.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 283