Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 435310 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #2130 on: September 07, 2011, 06:48:19 pm »

But has anyone looked at the story? :P
I just read the first couple chapters, it's funny. 'Equisition' made me laugh especially. I'm guessing it's MLP inspired by 40k?

I can't believe I hadn't heard of National Pony Writing Month.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: September 07, 2011, 06:51:13 pm »

But the "English" definition is an incorrect attempt to adhere to Latin grammar rules. The proper English one is, indeed, octopuses because it follows English pluralization rules.

Proper English is however English is spoken and written by the general public.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: September 07, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »

But the "English" definition is an incorrect attempt to adhere to Latin grammar rules. The proper English one is, indeed, octopuses because it follows English pluralization rules.

British National Corpus shows "octopuses" is roughtly three times more common than "octopi".

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: September 07, 2011, 07:01:35 pm »

British National Corpus shows "octopuses" is roughtly three times more common than "octopi".

But they're both still in wide use by the general public. (whereas I am skeptical that "octopodes" is used by anyone at all)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2134 on: September 07, 2011, 07:07:02 pm »

But they're both still in wide use by the general public. (whereas I am skeptical that "octopodes" is used by anyone at all)
I bet people who read William Safire use octopodes. I've never heard anyone use pegasoi though, I've never even heard anyone use hippopotamoi. Octopi, however, is easy to come up with as long as you know virii, cacti, alumni, etc. That's a card in its favor too, since its good for language rules to be simple and intuitive.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: September 07, 2011, 07:08:15 pm »

But has anyone looked at the story? :P
I just read the first couple chapters, it's funny. 'Equisition' made me laugh especially. I'm guessing it's MLP inspired by 40k?

I can't believe I hadn't heard of National Pony Writing Month.

Yeah, it's 40k MLP. I've got to lengthen it, but I thought the puns would go down well. I was tempted to have Venator say "Yer a wizard, Markon!", but I decided against it.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: September 07, 2011, 07:25:34 pm »

29 hits for octopuses, 11 for octopi, and only 4 for octopodes. It's definitely the least common form.
Strangely enough, the British people don't seem to talk about winged horses in plural at all, I can't get any hits for any of the forms.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: September 07, 2011, 07:27:50 pm »

Octopi, however, is easy to come up with as long as you know virii, cacti, alumni, etc.

486 hits for viruses, 0 for virii. So what you're saying there is that it's easier to misspell words if you also misspell other, similar words? :P

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: September 07, 2011, 07:30:24 pm »

It is based off the idea that Latin is the root for everything.

Viruses (computer ones) is definitely the right spelling. If you're using the Latin word, you'd be wanting 'viri' anyway, which is already used for the plural of man.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:19 pm »

Only two hits for "viri", one of which is something about "a late crystallization of a titled noblesse in south-west France" in the 13th century and the other referring to The Voice of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2141 on: September 07, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »

486 hits for viruses, 0 for virii. So what you're saying there is that it's easier to misspell words if you also misspell other, similar words? :P
Yes.

But I dunno, doesn't virus not even have a plural in Latin? The point is that it doesn't matter how we pluralize the words as long as it's intelligible. Octopi is fine because how many people really care about etymology anyway?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:38 pm »

http://www.ofb.net/~jlm/virus.html

Yes.

But I dunno, doesn't virus not even have a plural in Latin? The point is that it doesn't matter how we pluralize the words as long as it's intelligible. Octopi is fine because how many people really care about etymology anyway?

Every non-proper noun has a plural. Therefore, so does virus. Depending on the declension you believe it is from, the plural could well be virus, in the same way as fish is a singular and plural noun and present participle.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2143 on: September 07, 2011, 07:43:45 pm »

Every non-proper noun has a plural.
Well, of course. I meant an attested plural.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: September 07, 2011, 07:46:14 pm »

Yes. Depends on what declension you think it is, though. Could be fourth or second.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 283