Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 435330 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #2085 on: September 06, 2011, 10:40:43 pm »

bwahahahaha

I'm still not buying the game, though.
^
Tentacle Ponies

What?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: September 06, 2011, 10:47:36 pm »

Midnight Sparkle and Nightmarity. Sounds fun! Evil versions of unicorns.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: September 07, 2011, 02:59:15 am »

We are being teased, ladies and gentlemen. This is a shot from the first episode of season two, at least if the image name is to be believed.

I think the stained glass windows (or murals, maybe) in the background are interesting. What are those eastern dragon looking things? Let the wild mass guessing begin!

There seem to be two different versions of it/them, one white and one brown. The brown one seems to be evil, or at least antagonistic, based on the background of it's image and the fact that it is shown using ponies as puppets in the image behind RD. The white one seems more benign, since it's placed in between Celestia and Luna on its image, seemingly without any hostility. It almost looks as if it is important in some way, or at least I get that impression. Maybe the white and brown dragon-things are have the same relation to each other as Luna and Nightmare Moon?

It'd be kind of lame if they pulled the exact same story for the season two opening as for season one, though.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: September 07, 2011, 03:51:19 am »

I need to shut myself off from the internet for a week to avoid spoilers, it seems. D:

Or at least ED. I can simply stop reading a post like Silf's, whereas I can't unsee directly linked images.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: September 07, 2011, 03:57:12 am »

Eh, the concepts kicking around in my head, "Equestria is Non-Lethal" and/or "Dragons Rule Ponies" are waiting for season 2 to be over already so I can expand upon them more effectively.

Hmm... something I previously forgot about... Pegasi....
Control the air and you control the weather, including the state of the terrain of the battlefield with some set-up time.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: September 07, 2011, 04:25:04 am »

Okay. Let's get something straight, people.

THE PLURAL OF PEGASUS IS PEGASOI. IT IS NOT PEGASI. THAT'S LIKE SAYING THE PLURAL OF OCTOPUS IS OCTOPI. IT IS NOT. IT IS NOT NOW, NOR HAS IT EVER BEEN THE CASE. IT IS A GREEK SECOND DECLENSION NOUN OF THE FIRST TYPE. THAT MEANS THE PLURAL IS +oi, NOT +i. +i IS LATIN SECOND DECLENSION MASCULINE. NOT GREEK. SO PLEASE USE THE PROPER ENDINGS.

In other news, I've been slacking off in my attempt at writing for the NaPoWriMo. Here's my first week. Any pointers on it, besides the easy "WRITE MORE", would be appreciated.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1virDJNlFSiLU0_LPoJPRQWYST2S_OkLnEsdpnI4AmTU/edit?hl=en_US
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: September 07, 2011, 04:45:06 am »

If Wikipedia can be believed, we use the latin spelling, not greek, even for the singular version: Greek Πήγασος/Pegasos, Latin Pegasus

Besides, it was a singular horse. There never was a pluralization of the word in the ancient languages. Any pluralization is one we made up.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: September 07, 2011, 05:35:06 am »

Merely a latin transliteration of the name. If it had been πηγασυς, the transliteration today would be pegasys.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: September 07, 2011, 05:47:09 am »

Even if it is Latin, why are we using second declension? Fourth declension is much easier to remember.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: September 07, 2011, 07:23:30 am »

Because why not? The current pluralisation is just fine.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: September 07, 2011, 07:38:15 am »

Spoiler: Grammar Nazis (click to show/hide)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: September 07, 2011, 08:17:08 am »

We are being teased, ladies and gentlemen. This is a shot from the first episode of season two, at least if the image name is to be believed.

I think the stained glass windows (or murals, maybe) in the background are interesting. What are those eastern dragon looking things? Let the wild mass guessing begin!

There seem to be two different versions of it/them, one white and one brown. The brown one seems to be evil, or at least antagonistic, based on the background of it's image and the fact that it is shown using ponies as puppets in the image behind RD. The white one seems more benign, since it's placed in between Celestia and Luna on its image, seemingly without any hostility. It almost looks as if it is important in some way, or at least I get that impression. Maybe the white and brown dragon-things are have the same relation to each other as Luna and Nightmare Moon?

It'd be kind of lame if they pulled the exact same story for the season two opening as for season one, though.
The obvius guess would be to assume it's Discord.

Another interesting thing: Look at the mural of the mana cast defeating NMM, specificaly how the ponies are arranged:

M     alicorn
U     U  unicorns
  P P    pegasi
E     E  earth ponies

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: September 07, 2011, 09:02:09 am »

The obvius guess would be to assume it's Discord.

Another interesting thing: Look at the mural of the mana cast defeating NMM, specificaly how the ponies are arranged:

M     alicorn
U     U  unicorns
  P P    pegasi
E     E  earth ponies

Yes, Discord would be the obvious guess. I kinda hope it's not, though, since that makes the probability of a rehash of the season one opening higher.

The placement you mentioned is interesting, but I don't see any real significance in it. Other than to reinforce the fact that these murals are historical, I don't think that mural is very significant. I find the images below the brown dragon interesting as well, they look kind of like a solar and a lunar eclipse, which would be very strange in a world where the sun and moon are exclusively out at day/night. Not to mention them happening at the same time.

Also: bad layering of architecture in the top right corner is bad. :P
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: September 07, 2011, 09:26:55 am »

Okay. Let's get something straight, people.
You know, if you hadn't opened with that, I would have just said "Meh, let them squabble over this nonsense". But since you're so hell bent on getting this right, lets get this right.
In the show - because who else would know better than the creators of the content themselves?
Quite simply, in plural, a pegasus is known as Pegasus Ponies. That's right, to refer to multiple Pegasus Ponies, you put the word ponies on the end. You'll find this to be the most harmonically pleasing answer, because quite simply, there has never, and will never be a plural to Pegasus. Since it's a name of a being, a single being. There cannot be a plural. It would be like saying there is a group of Dsarkers. It's never going to happen so we don't need to worry about pluralization.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 283