Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 435400 times)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #2010 on: September 04, 2011, 10:24:31 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnp45EPfGN8&feature=player_detailpage#t=194s

I don't know what to think of these people.

Who? The reporter or the parade-goers?

Man, the reporter is awesome. Trolling like there's no tomorrow.

02:02
"So you're the society for creative alcoholism?"
"Uhhh ... Sometimes."
"Alright, I'll meet you later in the bar."

02:10
"So you dressed up as an idiot?"
"Yes."
"Okay, well you're doing a good job."

And my favorite:

02:30
"Look, it's Spiderman!"
*points at Batman on a bike*
"They call him Spiderman because he looks like a black spider."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:27:18 am by FunctionZero »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: September 04, 2011, 10:26:00 am »

"Uhhh ... Sometimes."

"Yes."
The parade-goers.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: September 04, 2011, 10:50:17 am »

"Uhhh ... Sometimes."

"Yes."

And my favorite:

02:30
"Look, it's Spiderman!"
*points at Batman on a bike*
"They call him Spiderman because he looks like a black spider."

So many gems from that reporter!

03:43
*walks up to someone dressed up as Princess Leia*
"So, when was the last time you've been leia'd?"

01:40
"Look at this, in the future iphones look exactly the same!"
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: September 04, 2011, 11:08:10 am »

While I am not specifically a brony I must ask advice. Because of this show, my almost fully grown male friend bought one My Little Pony action figure and posts pictures of it doing things on Facebook regularly. Should I be worried?

I disagree that anyone should feel ashamed of liking My Little Pony, even as an adult.

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
--C. S. Lewis

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:12:18 am by Jimmy »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: September 04, 2011, 11:30:06 am »

That picture nearly made me cry.
But the reason I hide my true identity from my family is not that I'm ashamed, but that I don't want to explain to my mom and brother why exactly I like a show about cute ponies. I talk with my friends about ponies shamelessly in the student lounge all the time.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: September 04, 2011, 12:45:25 pm »

This is pretty cool. The Art of the Dress parody around the middle facing towards the end makes me feel uneasy, but it's great.
Perhaps a cupcake warning for those who would avoid it, but yea, picked it up from EQ Daily before looking here.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: September 04, 2011, 03:18:27 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

See if you can spot the My Little Pony reference. It's a bit hard to spot, I saw it on the third rewatch, but then again, I wasn't looking for it.
It actually references the G3, so not all might get it.

Heh, this was the last place I'd expect a MLP reference.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: September 04, 2011, 03:29:33 pm »

You've watched the previous Pony seasons??

*tips hat to superior Brony*

For the rest of us, I would like an explanation of the reference / episode etc. Stuff like that does my head in, not knowing the link.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: September 04, 2011, 03:32:23 pm »

After getting over my writer's block, I've been able to do a bit of work on my fanfic.

Here it is in it's current form:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w2lF1bySlCiItqqi4eGvmm7XSyEYpLUDDS2UY6LRjm0/edit?hl=en_US

Any suggestions to improve it (even information on grammatical or other errors) will be greatly appreciated. It's got the frame down, but I'm willing to work to make it better.

I'm currently reading The Empty Room, but once I'm done I'll take a look at yours.

A few detours later, I got around to reading this. Seeing as my family tree is inhabited by Grammar Nazis, I was quite happy that you have a firm grip on the basics of the English language :P
The story itself isn't exactly my cup of tea, but that's no fault of yours. I was quite skeptical of how Applejack just drops everything the moment someone shows up to ask for help, but other than that it's a solid story.

On a related note, I am offering myself as an editor for anyone that wants. I have been tempted several times to send angry emails to storywriters that have horrible grammar in their stories, the kind of things that word processors or simple proofreading should catch. I'm having trouble reading stories like Number 12 because of the awful grammar, and I want to do my part to alleviate the problem :P

@FunctionZero:
Awesome song, but even looking for it I missed the reference. Where are teh ponies?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: September 04, 2011, 03:38:31 pm »

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
--C. S. Lewis

So to fear childishness is childish, but Mr. Lewis doesn’t mind being childish, so he doesn’t fear childishness? Paradoxical... I think.

Bah, whatever. I shall maintain my desire to be a well-developed sentient being into my very latest years. Childhood be damned.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: September 04, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »

So to fear childishness is childish, but Mr. Lewis doesn’t mind being childish, so he doesn’t fear childishness? Paradoxical... I think.

Bah, whatever. I shall maintain my desire to be a well-developed sentient being into my very latest years. Childhood be damned.

No, its childish to be over concerned with how other view you. e.g. to obsess with appearing "grown-up" is a feature of the immature. I think you're misunderstand CS Lewis here.

Proper grown ups don't care. That's the point, so they can enjoy things others view as childish (childish is a label other place on an activity, not an objective feature of this ativity itself).

It doesn't make someone any less mature in their dealings with world at large, if they for example, buy MLP toys.

If other's go "your not allowed to do that, it's 'childish' " you just respond "Get a life".

Like when I was 20 I greeted some 18 y/o uni students "hey kids". They got really offended that I used the word 'kids'. "W'ere not kids!!" one of them screamed. Which makes them seem more like kids. At that age, they're striving to be "taken seriously" as adults. If i referred to a bunch of 30 year olds with "key kids", they'd just say "hi" back.

So CS Lewis is not being paradoxical, because catergorizing into childish / grown-up pastimes is artificial. And done by those who fear being labelled with "childish".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:52:58 pm by Reelyanoob »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: September 04, 2011, 03:47:52 pm »

So I'm at some sort of family dinner, I avoided the cyan-colored frosting cupcakes...

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: September 04, 2011, 03:58:19 pm »

I had worse. Yellow cupcakes with pink icing and butterfly decorations....
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: September 04, 2011, 04:58:16 pm »

You've watched the previous Pony seasons??

*tips hat to superior Brony*
You haven't watched G3? Fo' shame, it's not that bad. Worse than G4, of course, but still not that bad on its own.

Here's a good excerpt. Has "Pinkie Pie" in it. Pinkie pie's Ferris wheel adventure
She's got quite the different character there.

And what, nobody spotted the reference? Okay then ...

Spoiler: The Reference (click to show/hide)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 04, 2011, 05:10:40 pm »

FZ, you're trying to trick people. Tsk tsk.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:26:51 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 283