Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 435452 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #1935 on: August 31, 2011, 03:40:23 pm »

Oh god, the Dead Space crossovers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Perhaps the only slightly funny one besides Isaac Pie. The rest are mentally scarring.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: August 31, 2011, 04:32:00 pm »

Time to start NaPoWriMo.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 31, 2011, 06:59:31 pm »

Wow, just wow. Someone made a clopfic with filly Nyx as the star.

I hate some people, I really do. Pen would be ashamed.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 31, 2011, 07:01:13 pm »

Some people really are terrible, I agree.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 31, 2011, 08:38:06 pm »

I will simply refer you to Sturgeon's Law.

Code: [Select]
90% of everything is crap.

I take this to include people, as well.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: August 31, 2011, 08:52:34 pm »

I will simply refer you to Sturgeon's Law.

Code: [Select]
90% of everything is crap.

I take this to include people, as well.

Get this, though. The 10% of things that aren't crap are a category of things. That means 90% of them are crap.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: August 31, 2011, 09:01:00 pm »

The reason why people can stand a world with 99.9repeating% of everything being crap (the logical conclusion to your potentially infinitely recursive statement) is that in the end, the 0% that isn't crap is worth it. For instance, most people would say that Past Sins was worth it, even if it did result in a clopfic that starred filly Nyx.
Nothing important here, move along.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: August 31, 2011, 09:01:57 pm »

Is anyone else doing NaPoWriMo?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:49 pm »

I'm making (well, I was making, got writer's block) a single fanfic, but I'm not doing the whole thing. I was actually linking it up on this thread as I was writing it, but it didn't seem to get much interest, so I've stopped.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: August 31, 2011, 09:05:55 pm »

It's good!

I'll be putting up each week's piece of my one up here, with any luck. First one should be ready by the seventh.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:56 pm »

Good luck with that. I don't think I have the time or storytelling ability to make it through the whole thing.

It's funny, I can make up the most amazing stories in my head, but when I try to convey it through some medium, it tends to not come out nearly as well as I hope.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: August 31, 2011, 09:09:28 pm »

Wait, if 90% of everything is crap, does that "everything" include the 10% that isn't crap?

*head asplode*
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: August 31, 2011, 09:12:22 pm »

No, no, no :P
You have 100% of everything. Take 90% of that everything; that stuff is crap, low-quality stuff ultimately not worth your time. The remaining 10% is high-enough quality to be enjoyable. If we start going into the "everything includes that 10%" then we will all be driven into insanity.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: August 31, 2011, 09:16:26 pm »

I've always taken the whole Sturgeon's Law system into a slightly more positive tone. As far as I consider it, for each person, 90% of all artistic works are beyond their ability to enjoy. Therefore, to each and every person, 90% of everything is crap. However, since people are different, they like different things. So what's crap to one might not be crap to another. This makes a lot less stuff have the potential to be universally crap.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: August 31, 2011, 09:30:12 pm »

Heh, I'm similar but I see it a slightly different way.

Take one of my favorite Yahtzee quotes:
People are shit. Whenever I'm in a crowd I think "who left this shit all over the place?". I'm shit. You're shit. The world is shit. And if you're sitting there thinking "yes its true. Everybody is shit EXCEPT me"; then you're a double-bacon shit-with-large-fries, mr. shitface.

...Sorry, this reflects badly on me doesn't it? I should've said: Mr. OR Mrs. shitface.
I take this as probably the exact opposite as intended. My reaction to it is "well, if THIS is shit... shit ain't so bad."

What's often described as crap or shit really isn't that awful. And the stuff that IS good is better by an order of magnitudes, so the not-so-good stuff helps the good stuff shine through comparison.

Maybe I'm overly idealistic.

EDIT:

BACK TO PONIES
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:35:32 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 283