Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434743 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2011, 04:36:04 pm »

You are all socially unadjusted depraved people.

* Zangi gets off soapbox and wanders off to read MLP fanfics.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2011, 04:50:13 pm »

"I am happy to report that I now realise there are wonderful things in the world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true."
-Twilight Sparkle at the episode end

So yeah, I don't see how this could mean anything supernatural. Could be interpreted either way though, so there is no real solution to this arguement.

The problem with it is that this exact phrase is probably the most often-used phrase by people who peddle quackery and pseudoscientific bullshit to deflect criticism. If you're at least tangentially familiar with the skeptical movement, it immediately sets off bullshit alarms in your head. It doesn't help at all that to help convey this message of wonder at the world they chose a phenomenon that is demonstrably non-existent in the real world (ie. psychic powers).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:52:16 pm by Sordid »

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2011, 08:05:57 pm »

What is this madness? I've read like 7 pages of pony and not a single hate. Maybe it's the lack of pictures, but anyhow, that is just *insert Rainbow Dash saying "so awesome!"* Seen these threads on many different forums, this is certainly one of those with the least hating and just generally more mature discussion. Not really suprised though, DF doesn't really appeal to people who judge things too fast.

Got looking here again through EquestriaGaming, having played DF before, came to check out the MLP mod. Seems great, starting on it tomorrow I guess.

Sure pseudosciences can claim "it isn't neccessarily false just because you cannot explain it." Then again, the morals are supposedly for kids'. For them "It isn't neccessarily false just because you cannot explain it" works as an argument for Global Warming or Evolution as well as precognition. Just because you don't have the tools/knowledge to explain it doesn't mean it's not true.

In the show Twilight as Ms. Science "loses", but she is also closeminded when it comes to precognition. And this is in world with unicorns that cast magics from their horn. Does the episode actually encourage kids to be closeminded and ignorant? Atleast from my viewpoint Twilight was curious and eventually openminded, no matter if she "lost" or not, how she wrote the letter could've emphasized that though(and not how Pinkie was actually right).

This post needs more everypony/somepony/nopony so I am adding them here.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 15, 2011, 08:54:09 pm »

Sure pseudosciences can claim "it isn't neccessarily false just because you cannot explain it." Then again, the morals are supposedly for kids'. For them "It isn't neccessarily false just because you cannot explain it" works as an argument for Global Warming or Evolution as well as precognition. Just because you don't have the tools/knowledge to explain it doesn't mean it's not true.

Oh that's an altogether wrong attitude to educating children, IMO. I still vividly remember how pissed off I was by people telling me that I'm too young to understand something, that I should just accept it. Rather than an "it's true even if you can't explain it" approach, I'd take "let's see if we can find an explanation for it" approach. Kids can understand surprisingly much if you take the time, problem is most people are just lazy.

In the show Twilight as Ms. Science "loses", but she is also closeminded when it comes to precognition. And this is in world with unicorns that cast magics from their horn. Does the episode actually encourage kids to be closeminded and ignorant? Atleast from my viewpoint Twilight was curious and eventually openminded, no matter if she "lost" or not, how she wrote the letter could've emphasized that though(and not how Pinkie was actually right).

I don't think she was closed minded at all, she immediately set out to perform some observations and experiments. That's a very open minded, scientific approach. The problem I have is that through this method she didn't find some alternative, natural explanation of the psychic stuff, as would be the case in reality. Yeah, the show's supposed to teach kids. That's precisely why I'm offended by the message "psychic powers are real even if nobody can explain how they function, least of all their user, nor is there any plausible natural mechanism by which they could function".

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 15, 2011, 09:24:21 pm »

I don't think she was closed minded at all, she immediately set out to perform some observations and experiments. That's a very open minded, scientific approach. The problem I have is that through this method she didn't find some alternative, natural explanation of the psychic stuff, as would be the case in reality. Yeah, the show's supposed to teach kids. That's precisely why I'm offended by the message "psychic powers are real even if nobody can explain how they function, least of all their user, nor is there any plausible natural mechanism by which they could function".

Except she wasn't being scientifically minded at all. We don't understand a lot of underlying mechanics behind things but we don't pretend those don't exist. Since Pinky Pie's so-called psychic tick would work consistently, and I would assume this would continue under a controlled experiment, she would be eligible for Randy's Million Dollar Prize. It's not even clear what Twilight could be looking for with her bizarre gizmos. What was her hypothesis? That magic beams would emit from Pinky's mane whenever she got a tick?

Twilight shouldn't have just accepted that some things cannot be known, but ignoring something because "it can't exist" isn't how one goes about being scientifically minded. She should have been hypothesizing her brain out once it was vastly unlikely for the predictions to be flukes or confirmation bias.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 15, 2011, 10:19:08 pm »

Except she wasn't being scientifically minded at all. We don't understand a lot of underlying mechanics behind things but we don't pretend those don't exist. Since Pinky Pie's so-called psychic tick would work consistently, and I would assume this would continue under a controlled experiment, she would be eligible for Randy's Million Dollar Prize. It's not even clear what Twilight could be looking for with her bizarre gizmos. What was her hypothesis? That magic beams would emit from Pinky's mane whenever she got a tick?

Twilight shouldn't have just accepted that some things cannot be known, but ignoring something because "it can't exist" isn't how one goes about being scientifically minded. She should have been hypothesizing her brain out once it was vastly unlikely for the predictions to be flukes or confirmation bias.

Completely agreed!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:04 pm »

That's because she was being a Strawman Scientist. We could have had somebody else do all the "that's impossible" stuff. A scientist would have observed that this thing happened over and over and at least document (if he was unable to document the source of cause) instead of whining (pardon the pun) about how unscientific predicting the future was.

The problem is that a Strawman Scientist still gives us a moral saying that somehow trying to understand things in a scientific way is wrong, and just "leaving it alone" is the best approach.

I know that kids don't understand everything. And we can suppose that they shouldn't disbelieve stuff just because THEY personally can't understand them. But the message is terrible, because of the use of a strawman (strawpony?) and fantasy don't deliver it well. It's like, if I want to preach that "Christianity is GREAT" I make a TV show and instead I make it about an evil catholic priest who's trying to destroy a rock made of alchemy or something that grants wishes, and the priest bashes it with a cross. But the rock represent Jesus, and the cross represents humanity's intolerance to religion... so it's actually a pro-christian message... WHAT?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 15, 2011, 11:04:56 pm »

That's because she was being a Strawman Scientist

That's probably a fair assessment.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 15, 2011, 11:24:56 pm »

Anyhoo, I'm glad that I was right about toning down the whole "show is for girls only" thing before that cutie mark episode. There are more males in secondary roles, so at least now I don't have to assume that the entire pony town is a harem to a single stallion :D

I would have been ok with just non-talking males that aren't being complete doofuses... doofusi? But this is even better. It's good that they're keeping their focus on females and stuff like they set out to, but it started too extreme to be believable.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 16, 2011, 07:08:34 am »

I made an AMV/PMV. What do you guys think?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:27 am »

Generally very good, liked the choice of songs, but the end was a little flat. It didn't really tie in to the music. The clip of Rarity elaborately putting herself into bed would have closed better. I did really like speeding up the film to match the changing mood of the song though.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2011, 07:46:47 am »

Ren and Stimpy

I agree, stuff like http://youtu.be/QMn1M02ouyU

Is pretty much why I love the 90's Cartoons over any other generation right now.
Hello.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 16, 2011, 11:22:51 am »

The entire pony town is a harem to a single stallion :D

Oh, so that's where the massive appeal to male audience comes from.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2011, 12:31:11 pm »

I made an AMV/PMV. What do you guys think?
Just PMV, not AMV. PMV means (Youtube) Poop Music Video, AMV means Anime Music Video.
Anyway, seems good, though could some better synching vocals with characters.
Otherwise, it's just music, set to a mildly relevant video.

See Pony Polka [Weird Al Yankovic] for a good example of how it's done well.

Hope I'm not coming on too harshly here. And besides, you know, just my opinion.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2011, 01:04:19 pm »

Just PMV, not AMV. PMV means (Youtube) Poop Music Video, AMV means Anime Music Video.
I thought PMV meant Pony Music Video?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 283