Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 435689 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 07:08:08 pm »

(comment removed)

When the hell did I post here, and what the hell did I post?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 07:21:47 pm »

*checks Google's cache*

Oh.  About the naming convention of a unicorn/pegasus.

Yeah, after where last thread went, probably wasn't a bad idea to take that out.  Those who remember remember, those who don't don't.  Moving on!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 07:55:30 pm »

It's actually an incredibly well worked satirical piece. Beneath the harmless exterior of watching, slack-jawed as pinky sings another damn song, it's going some incredibly brutal and dark undertones as the moral of many, many of the episodes, for instance, emphasizing how deadly a force sibling rivalry is- even driving sisters to war and bloodshed, or highlighting how a single person's greed can make them turn against all of their friends- and how hollow friendship actually is, when it could be that everyone you love just wants to get something from you. Truly, this is a dark show. However, the worst conundrum of all that I've seen. One that speaks to us as humans, and is perfectly reciprocated for the ponies in this show, is the simple choice that we could make- even though everypony is born with it... If you could fly, or have magic- But not both. Which Would It Be!?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 07:57:54 pm »

Well, a lot of ponies have neither, right?

So much class-based societal stuff here.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2011, 08:02:32 pm »

I dunno, I think Applejack hides hers.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:50 pm »

*checks Google's cache*

Oh.  About the naming convention of a unicorn/pegasus.

Yeah, after where last thread went, probably wasn't a bad idea to take that out.  Those who remember remember, those who don't don't.  Moving on!

Wow, I do NOT remember that. I'm pretty sure I wasn't on my usual midnight high at the time... (no illegal substances involved, I swear)
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »

Though, do be honest, I really liked the original My Little Pony series quite a bit as well. One of my beloved childhood favorites (along with Scamper and Serendipity). Did anyone see the original for comparison?

This new one is pretty good, but I am having severe issues with the art style, which I despise.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2011, 09:35:53 pm »

My favorite movie growing up was Appaloosa (probably not the one you're thinking of. Or is it!?) because it was named after a horse.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2011, 09:47:57 pm »

Does anyone else thing this show feels a lot like a magic girl anime?

EDIT: Just watched episode 6, it's kinda nice how it's established that Twilight Sparkle's skill is at least partly based on her excessive amount of studying and research. It's also kind of odd how at the end she's described as "talented" when a better way to put it would be"dedicated" or even "obsessive"/"single minded".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:27:02 pm by Leonon »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2011, 08:33:42 am »

I just spent my morning watching 7 episodes of this show... and I am strangely compelled to continue watching it. And I don't watch cartoons, or even TV, with any regularity. Why, ponies... why?!

Seriously though, it's nice to see good writing like this still exists; shows that can appeal to kids with values and lessons and all that hooplah, without being dumbed down or made into empty entertainment. It's enough that I can enjoy watching this, and not feel like I'm getting nothing out of the experience.

Hear me, world. I am a man, and I watch My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic.

Does anyone else thing this show feels a lot like a magic girl anime?

I can see some similar qualities, though I'd say the first 2 bore the strongest resemblance, with the magic relics and amulets/crystals and all that. After that, episodes have gone from self-contained conflicts with Aesop-esc resolutions, to mini-adventures that highlight the strengths and weaknesses of individual characters... and for little multicolored magical ponies, they have reasonably complex characters. The 'tagonists have sensible motives, and though the plots are episodic, details carry over from the past, so there's a sense of a greater plot at work.

I admit that after watching the first 2 episodes I figured it was all going to revolve around the whole "endless night" plot, with a single major villain... but the variety of plot and characters has kept it interesting. The show also makes good use of the rarely-seen Redeemable Villain, which is a nice change of pace. Not all of the antagonists turn out "good" in the end either, judging by the bit with the Gryphon, and it's precisely that sort of complexity and variety that makes the show a good watch.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:01 am »

LiberalConservative Interpretation of My Little Ponies

Yea, admittedly, this has continuity...
Also, watching this friendship stuff is a blow to the ego.  I'll live.  There is worse in the form of anime and manga after-all
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 11:58:35 am »

I believe a few friends shall watch this. If I had a forbidden pleasure, it would be the top ranking on an Armagetron server (long before the new movie)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2011, 07:44:33 pm »

A feminist blogger wrote an article saying Magic is Friendship is "Homophobic, Racist and Smart-Shaming". The creator of the show then made a rebuttal that gives some insight into how this show managed to be so much better than expected.

EDIT: I was just looking up My Little Pony things on Amazon to see if they have any decent figurines and what the hell is this?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:05:33 pm by Leonon »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2011, 08:18:18 pm »

That's one mindnumblingly dumb blog. Though at least the rebuttal was sensible.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 283