Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434512 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #3975 on: October 19, 2011, 02:03:57 pm »

How can aluminum teeth break and chew gems?

Why would they not be able to?

* Sapphires and rubies are composed of aluminum oxide. Loosely speaking, a sapphire is rusted aluminum in a crystaline form.
 * Crystalline materials tend to break more easily along their shear lines. Just like how it's easier to break a wooden board along the grain rather than against it.
 * Impact forces and compressive forces are not identical. A gem might happen to be very dense, but it is brittle, and susceptible to shattering. Chomping down violently would be more effective than attempting to slowly crush them.
 * Aluminum has roughly four times the compressive strength of bone. It's reasonable to suggest that aluminum based bone might be better for crushing than calcium/phosphorous based bone.
 * Finally, keep in mind that aluminum need not be the only material. Your teeth are not purely calcium phosphate either.

The premise here is simply that dragons requires aluminum for their skeletal structure, just like your skeleton requires calccium and phosphorous. But aluminum is not a material in great abundance in plants or animals. So to grow larger they require an alternate source, and certain gemstones are suitable. This is why baby dragons need to eat lots of gems, but adult dragons don't. Once the skeleton is fully grown, they don't require the aluminum intake they once did. This also explains the hoarding tendency of adult dragons: they're collecting gems to provide for their young.

Aluminum could not easily take a place analogous to calcium because they are in different groups on the periodic table and therefore have radically different chemical properties.
(Aluminum is in Group 13, Calcium is in Group 2)

Si-based lifeforms are pretty much standard for any sort of fiction that wants non-Ca based species as their starfish aliens. I don't see why having Al-based dragons is any less acceptable in fiction.

First, Ca is the abbreviation for Calcium, not for Carbon, Secondly, silicon based lifeforms only make sense because Silicon and Carbon are in the same elemental group.

I realize that. I was referring to the primary element in bone structure, which was actually relevant to the previous posts. I was probably not clear in one point (bolded) enough, where I probably should have said "lifeforms with Ca based skeletal structures", but to be perfectly honest it shouldn't have been hard to extrapolate what I was talking about from context. And I tend to assume that people have knowledge of at least the abbreviations of a few of the more commonly discussed elements (among other things), but that might just be me. Even assuming that I am a complete moron with no knowledge of chemistry, there was a periodic table linked not long before that.  ;)

On an unrelated note:

DO WANT.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:06:46 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: October 19, 2011, 02:15:09 pm »

An oversized, cute, but subliminally creepy paperweight. Why would you need one?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: October 19, 2011, 02:27:27 pm »

To be subliminally creepy. Trust me, being subliminally creepy is very useful.

Unless you're trying to make friends. Being subliminally creepy can be offputting.
Nothing important here, move along.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 19, 2011, 02:37:56 pm »

A proper paintjob could probably reduce the creepiness.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 19, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 19, 2011, 03:23:05 pm »

Twilight Sparkle obviously represents the false prophet spoken of in the Book of Revelations because she hangs out with a dragon.

EDIT: Also, Fluttershy represents Jesus, due to the events at the end of Dragonshy
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:50:40 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: October 19, 2011, 03:51:51 pm »

Crookedtrees scares me slightly a lot.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 19, 2011, 03:54:35 pm »

Twilight Sparkle obviously represents the false prophet spoken of in the Book of Revelations because she hangs out with a dragon.

EDIT: Also, Fluttershy represents Jesus, due to the events at the end of Dragonshy

Not just Jesus. Remember, she's afraid of the dragon too, so she represents Mary.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 19, 2011, 03:55:59 pm »

Who the hell is crookedtreAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 19, 2011, 04:02:08 pm »

Who the hell is crookedtreAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Look, if you people keep doing this sort of stuff, I'll go and find all the MLP creepy images I can and post them all whenever anyone is d'awwwwing. You don't want that.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 19, 2011, 04:12:42 pm »

Look, if you people keep doing this sort of stuff, I'll go and find all the MLP creepy images I can and post them all whenever anyone is d'awwwwing. You don't want that.
*cold stare* You wouldn't.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 19, 2011, 04:16:08 pm »

*cold stare* You wouldn't.
Oh, it's good to see someone still trusting in human nature....hahahahaha.

BowlSoldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't **** with the Great Long Axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: October 19, 2011, 04:16:15 pm »

Don't taunt him, I plan on trying to sleep soon.
Campaigning for wheelchair rights for legless adventurers since 1995.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: October 19, 2011, 04:30:41 pm »

I don't think you'd have an easy time creeping me out. I've had to work with some pretty eldritch things before, even in real life, so you'd have to give me something far worse than a picture.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 19, 2011, 04:30:55 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 283