Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434641 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #3690 on: October 16, 2011, 04:26:36 am »

Celestia
She wasn't angry; just being stern, and not without reason.

When I hear the tone of her voice shouting out "Twilight Sparkle!" appearing in a ball of light, glaring for several seconds then smashing down into the ground with enough force to create swirling dustclouds, with Twilight groveling on the ground in fear and humiliation...I read some hint of anger in that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granted she was probably justified, given the consequences of Twilight's actions, but Celestia has previously shown a tendancy to not strongly react even when the situation warrants it. For example...

Here's how concerned she looked when she confronted Fluttershy over having birdnapped her pet phoenix:

Here's how concerned she looked when the avatar of chaos returned from 1000 year banishment, stole the elements of harmony, and showed up in her palace:

Yeah, there's some emotion on her face. And she shows more later on. But overall, shock seemed to be her strongest reaction to Discord. Parasprites destroy Ponyville? She thinks they're cute. Mane six destroy the gala? She thinks it's awesome. Anger is not something that Celestia often expressed, but in Lesson Zero she seems angry. Though granted, the comparison might not be the best one, since as I've said before I think Celestia and Discord were in it together.

Actually, I have a theory that the whole My Little Pony story is actually an allegory for a fourth density spiritual being taking on a third density soul as a pet/student. Though I'm pretty sure the script writers wouldn't see it that way. But if so, then it would actually make a lot of sense for Celestia to more angry than in any of the other cases. She's effectively a Goddess, able to make and unmake the world. Those other events were of no consequence. But her prized pupil bringing harm to others in an attempt to manipulate and deceive...that might actually be the most significant negative event in the series to date.

Celestia probably would've given a light lecture on not worrying so much
lest things get far worse than they need to be, and left it at that.

Well, we can speculate. But Celestia does explicity state that she'll "forget Twilight's punishment" if the other five start submitting friendship reports too. Implication being, that more than a light lecture was being considered. Though granted, given my view of Celestia it would be in-character for her to say such a thing even if she intended no actual punishment.

Rarity
Rarity's always been self centered

...what? Rarity who:

* Upon first meeting Twilight in episode 1, immediately insists on giving her a makeover
 * Cut off her own tail to give it to the river dragon in episode 2
 * Allows Fluttershy to take her place in the spotlight in Green Isn't Your Color
 * Diplomatically assures Twilight that her nest in Winter Wrap Up just needs a few minor touchups so as to not hurt her feelings

Rainbow Dash is self centered. Rarity is not. In fact, I'd say that she, along with Applejack, are the least self centered of the group. She simply doesn't have a very good grasp of the idea that others are more comfortable within their own expectations than hers. But the same could be said of Applejack. Think about it: when misfortune befalls Rarity, she generally tries to insist that it's not such a big deal. Why? Because it's important to her to not inconvenience anyone. But whenever somebody else is in a situation that she personally would detest (bad hair day, for example) she immediately goes out of her way to try to make it better for them.

If a carriage sprayed mud on a pony, Rainbow Dash would laugh. Pinkie would be oblivious, or possibly jump in the mud herself to see if it was fun. Twilight would get excited about how she could look up methods for mud removal, and be too involved with that to notice that you'd already cleaned the mud off hours ago. Applejack would offer assistance. Rarity would immediately stop whatever else she was doing to clean the pony up. There may be more wisdom in offering assistance than immediately rushing to aid someone, but she'd be just as willing as Applejack to try to be helpful, and more likely to feel genuine sympathy. The primary difference between the two is that they have different expectations about what constitutes a catastrophe that one might desire help with. Both of them lack empathy over what other ponies are actually feeling. To some extent, that is self centered. But nopony else of the mane six is any less so.

Some people are calling Rarity out of character in the last
three episodes due to being frivolous and such

That's not how I'm seeing it. Things that most other ponies consider frivolous have generally been very important to her. If you want to call her frivolous, I won't strongly disagree. I'm saying she's out of character because she's being presented as helpless and whiny, which she definitely isn't.

In season 1 she was given a few one-shot Gone with the Wind references. Unfortunately I think some of the writers thought these were funny and misinterpreted the joke as actual character. For example, in The Best Night Ever, around 1:25 in, Twilight bemoans about how they'll get to the Gala without her magic mice-horses, and Rarity put on a Scarlett O'Hara back of hand to forehead pose, and says "Whatever shall we do!" Then she gives Twilight a look clearly indicating that she's mocking her, then immediately solves the problem by gettin some stallions to pull the carriage. Followed by Twilight looking embarrassed that she'd overeacted.

Rarity does this kind of thing a couple times in season 1. Similarly, when she's kidnapped by the diamond dogs, she's totally calm and collected, though annoyed, but remains polite, doesn't get intimidated and ends up mastering the situation. However, other characters have imaginary dream sequences about how helpless and whiny and pathetic she must be, even though those dream sequences all turn out to be completely wrong.

I think somebody has been seeing the mock Rarity, the sarcastically mimicking Scarlett O'Hara Rarity, the dream sequence Rarity, and pieced those together to create a Rarity in Lesson Zero that is not merely flanderized, but totally not who she is at all.

Fluttershy
I don't consider this any worse than her actions in Best Night Ever.

Fluttershy has had some OOC moments before, yes, but three episodes in a row in getting to be a bit much. Also keep in mind that in Best Night Ever, she still has some mousy scenes: expressing concern over the mice, panicking when Rarity's cat jumpson the them after they've been transformed, looking quietly dismayed but not saying anything when Applejack spits on her hoof, etc.

Whereas in Lesson Zero, she doesn't have any of that. When Twilight explains her problen, Fluttershy is the first to smugly say that it doesn't matter. When Twilight explains that the fight happened because she enchanted the her doll, Fluttershy is the one to ask her why she would do such a thing. When the five go to confront Celestia at the end to speak in Twilight's defense, is she the last one in? No, she bursts through the door up front with Applehajack. Yes, Fluttershy bursts down a door before Rainbow Dash even enters the scene.

Never throughout the episode is she shown in character at all.

Big Mac
I think this is a consequence of him having so few lines. What he DOES speak
is going to be indicative of his character, and if he doesn't speak much and rarely

But again, he didn't used to be that way. Watch the beginning of episode four. He's as talkative as any other secondary character. But in Lesson Zero, he's nearly a mute.

Here's hoping he's secretly into cute stuff, real men wear pink and such.

It would be a nice touch of character development for him if they went with it. But at this point I'd be content with it merely being a one-shot joke...one of the few lately that hasn't been at the expense of previously established character.

I'm going to wait until a lot more episodes have aired before
calling jumping the shark. Remember, season 1 had some duds too.

Agreed. Watching through season one I was skeptical until about halfway through. Seems to me there were fully 7 or 8 episodes that I found painful to watch. Lesson Zero wasn't painful. Neither was it awesome. But I do recognize some things going on in the episode that I'd rather not become trends.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3691 on: October 16, 2011, 05:25:01 am »

Rarity
 * In season 1 Rarity was charming, elegant and dignified. In the season premier she cuts off her own tail to give the river dragon a new mustache, and dismisses Twilight's sympathy over the loss. When the CMC destroyed her botique, she remained calm and collected. When Fluttershy gets to be a model, leaving Rarity in the unfortunate position of watching her friend live the life she wanted for herself, she's obviously distressed but goes out of her way to not make a scene. Even when she's kidnapped into slavery by diamond dogs, she remains sufficiently in control of herself that she's able to stare down a dog with a spear and insist that she's a lady and that must treat her as one.  Rarity is consistently portrayed as a pony able to bear hardship and misfortune while maintaining a sense of personal dignity. She's occasionally been shown angry or indignant, but never as she's presented in S2E3, where she's become a helpless, whiny drama queen who literally cries over being unable to find things in plain view in her own house.

I think that the whole point of the episode was that none of Twi's friends needed help, it was Twi who needed help. I don't feel like Rarity was being helpless, she didn't need anyponys help to find what she wanted. She was just being overly dramatic.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: October 16, 2011, 06:47:55 am »

I've watched ~8 minutes, and am haing trouble watching anymore.

I didn't like the different Twilight singing voice in the title sequence.

Anything past the first 8 minutes, I haven't seen, nor wish to at the moment. Instead, here's a sneak peak of the ending of my next big thriller (I'm putting off the space marine one, because I just can't find anything else to go into other than a sort of monster of the minute sort of thing.)

Queen Celestia ruled that all corrupted and non-corrupted inhabitants of SIEVX, also known in some records as Ponyville, were to be executed and their bodies burnt. Despite long debate between her and other learned ponies, no resettlement of the area was ever condoned, and the two times it was attempted in secret all those involved were dealt with in the same manner. Under orders from Celestia, Army Group Secutor, commanded by Field Marshal Revantrix, burnt the settlement to the ground. Celestia has continued to reign in the new rank of Queen.

Captain Anias was recovered, heavily wounded on the battlefield. Injuries seemed to be concurrent with that of Sonic based weapons, and resulted in the loss of a lung and several broken bones. He never really recovered, and died of further injuries in a border mishap with the buffalo twelve year later in the rank of Major General.

Grendel continued in the Royal service for many years, joining the staff of Queen Celestia, along with Serghear. Their individual fates are not recorded in the Royal archive, although it is believed Grendel died after assassinating the last zebra leader seventy five years later.

Blacker returned to Canterlot, where he served as Master of the Forge (weaponry) until his retirement due to ill health fifty years later. Several of his treatises on weapon crafting have become authoritative texts.

Princess Luna recovered from ill health and rose to a similar position as that of her sister, before her death less than fifty years later.

There is no archived mention of the beings known as 'Fluttershy', 'Twilight Sparkle', 'Applejack', 'Rarity' or 'Rainbow Dash', but it is conjectured that Sonixy, and Rottershy are their codenames, and they continue to associate with and aid Pinkie Pie.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:50:07 am by Dsarker »
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: October 16, 2011, 07:11:25 am »

Summary of this show's current episode is that most everyone is acting out of character?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: October 16, 2011, 09:50:30 am »

Mmm, interesting reactions to the new episode. It has just finally loaded for me (after thirteen hours) so I'm about to watch it. I did see the first few minutes and I noticed a difference in style almost immediately. (Like with the unicorn horn glow) I want to remain...uh, neutral-mistic about it? Now I feel waiting for the next episode will be a bit more full of anxiousness as everyone wants to see if this one was just a dud, or intentionally weird.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: October 16, 2011, 10:02:24 am »

It would seem that they want to please the older, meme based fans. As far as I can see here, they're ditching a bit of the plot and the ponies' personalities in hopes of them getting more documented meme entries and such.

Here's hoping that they aren't jumping in on the meme bandwagon, sacrificing show values and the like in the process. "The cake is a lie" was a good meme, early in it's inception. Some people just happened to overuse those and now, it's unpalatable and annoying.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: October 16, 2011, 10:10:52 am »

I'm personally not too worried. They tend to listen to the populace, and if enough people show disappointment in the direction the show takes, they'll likely try to listen and make changes in a better direction.

I personally think that even though they seemed to be pandering to memes and such, the show was still many times better than a lot of the other shows out there. Faust built such a good foundation it's probably going to take a little effort to undermine it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: October 16, 2011, 10:24:07 am »

Indeed. But as for the meme pandering thing, I don't see much complaint about the show itself outside this forum. This puts us in the minority, and if the characters and plot were to be sacrificed for more "memetastic" gags, this will probably put the show in bad shape for those who value the plot and characters more than the gags.

Then again, this is just a single episode. It won't topple the foundation so quickly; it will take a few episodes or so to do it. And as much as I loathe saying it, this show was created as a children's cartoon, with the intention of teaching children the values of morals and their relevance in society. They certainly wouldn't reduce this into a gag show.

And there's still the next episode to look out for...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: October 16, 2011, 10:30:01 am »

*snip*
You and your fancy over-analysis.  I totally agree with your take on Rarity and Fluttershy.  Though, considering Fluttershy, she is the most empowered by friendship, if you take the dragon and cockatrice episodes into consideration, but, she would be the last one to do anything if others could resolve the conflict.

Rarity
 * In season 1 Rarity was charming, elegant and dignified. In the season premier she cuts off her own tail to give the river dragon a new mustache, and dismisses Twilight's sympathy over the loss. When the CMC destroyed her botique, she remained calm and collected. When Fluttershy gets to be a model, leaving Rarity in the unfortunate position of watching her friend live the life she wanted for herself, she's obviously distressed but goes out of her way to not make a scene. Even when she's kidnapped into slavery by diamond dogs, she remains sufficiently in control of herself that she's able to stare down a dog with a spear and insist that she's a lady and that must treat her as one.  Rarity is consistently portrayed as a pony able to bear hardship and misfortune while maintaining a sense of personal dignity. She's occasionally been shown angry or indignant, but never as she's presented in S2E3, where she's become a helpless, whiny drama queen who literally cries over being unable to find things in plain view in her own house.

I think that the whole point of the episode was that none of Twi's friends needed help, it was Twi who needed help. I don't feel like Rarity was being helpless, she didn't need anyponys help to find what she wanted. She was just being overly dramatic.
Rarity is a classy pony, being a drama queen for no reason whatsoever, other then drawing attention for something frivolous is not classy.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: October 16, 2011, 10:38:22 am »

Oh gods, Twilight's facial expressions are going to give me nightmares.

I actually didn't mind the episode too much overall, but I admit they overdid it a little on the random factor. This seems to have left little room for plot, with most time taken on wft faces and scenes instead. I honestly didn't find the characters to be too out of character though. I saw Celestia towards the end as actually not having any horrible punishment planned for Twilight, but decided to just go along with it after seeing how everyone else took it seriously. I thought the song playing around there was pretty nifty too.

Edit:
Spoiler: Cheshire pony? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:46:24 am by Kirbypowered »
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: October 16, 2011, 11:19:40 am »

I'm going to wait until a lot more episodes have aired before calling jumping the shark. Remember, season 1 had some duds too. You didn't have to wait a week to see the next one, though.

If it's all downhill from here, yes, Lesson Zero's where it jumped the shark, and I'll cut off my person canon at episode 28. If the show recovers (which is quite possible), then today was just a dud episode, and nothing more.

So yeah, hold off on the doomsaying :)

You have no idea how hard I'm trying to avoid being negative about this...  :-X

I feel the reason the show didn't have as much character driven plot was due to the efforts to incorporate more internet meme-ness. The episode was about funny, not drama. I don't believe the team have lost their mojo yet; or did everyone forget the Discord saga a few weeks ago? The Discord arc shows the team still has amazing amounts of awesome, and Lesson Zero was just a bit of fun with the older fans.

The Discord episodes were made with the others of the first season and were originally supposed to be the closer for the first season. Lesson Zero is the first post-Faust episode.

I'm just really, really hoping that this is going to be a one-time event, because for me jumping the shark for the sake of one-off jokes and meme generation is just as bad as jumping the shark to take the series back to the constant tea parties subgenre.

Lastly, drama queen Rarity is not cool. I had finally begun to like her, and they screw with that by giving her a stupid, out of character, not memeworthy, not funny joke that they then drive into the ground. They weren't beating a dead horse, they had started with one that had been decomposing for months and then repeatedly bashed it with a truck-sized sledgehammer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: October 16, 2011, 11:42:59 am »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: October 16, 2011, 11:59:09 am »

I'm fairly sure the Cheshire face was taken directly from some creepy pony fanart, although it might have originated earlier. I've seen that exact one on Applebloom a couple of times, anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: October 16, 2011, 12:16:51 pm »

I'm going to wait until a lot more episodes have aired before calling jumping the shark. Remember, season 1 had some duds too. You didn't have to wait a week to see the next one, though.

If it's all downhill from here, yes, Lesson Zero's where it jumped the shark, and I'll cut off my person canon at episode 28. If the show recovers (which is quite possible), then today was just a dud episode, and nothing more.

So yeah, hold off on the doomsaying :)

You have no idea how hard I'm trying to avoid being negative about this...  :-X

I feel the reason the show didn't have as much character driven plot was due to the efforts to incorporate more internet meme-ness. The episode was about funny, not drama. I don't believe the team have lost their mojo yet; or did everyone forget the Discord saga a few weeks ago? The Discord arc shows the team still has amazing amounts of awesome, and Lesson Zero was just a bit of fun with the older fans.

The Discord episodes were made with the others of the first season and were originally supposed to be the closer for the first season. Lesson Zero is the first post-Faust episode.

I'm just really, really hoping that this is going to be a one-time event, because for me jumping the shark for the sake of one-off jokes and meme generation is just as bad as jumping the shark to take the series back to the constant tea parties subgenre.

Lastly, drama queen Rarity is not cool. I had finally begun to like her, and they screw with that by giving her a stupid, out of character, not memeworthy, not funny joke that they then drive into the ground. They weren't beating a dead horse, they had started with one that had been decomposing for months and then repeatedly bashed it with a truck-sized sledgehammer.

Memes are good for propagating the reputation of the affected object; in this case, the show. However, trying so hard to add too much of it makes the affected object a repetitive mess, and it might not be good at all for the object.

I seriously hope they stop this attempt at flanderized one-shot gags and out of character characters; because it's getting stale.

But then again, I assume they read and go to Know Your Meme, and they most certainly want their show to be one of the most mentioned article in that website of memes. They will probably do it again, since there's a lot of people who think the episode's nice, despite being out of character and such.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: October 16, 2011, 12:21:09 pm »

Well, the episodes down the line are already made or at least near completion.  Probably little room for change now.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 283