Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pet cats and vermin  (Read 801 times)

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
pet cats and vermin
« on: January 07, 2011, 01:30:11 pm »

Hi,

A n00bish question: do cats who have become pets still kill vermin ? I've got 2 pet cats in my fortress and a swarm of flies appeared some time ago. I've seen both cats pass by the swarm several times and do nothing to kill it.

Is it because they're pets, because cats cannot kill flies (if so, how does one get rid of them ?), or because the vermin killing process is somehow scheduled or randomized, allowing cats to be "off duty" or "on break" ?

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: pet cats and vermin
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:39:45 pm »

they don't kill flies, they kill rates and such

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:55 pm »

So, if cats don't kill flies, how does one get rid of these annoying flying buggers ? is there any way ?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:46:54 pm »

Don't have food, don't leave dead stuff lying around, don't have pools or ponds outside and don't melt stone with magma.

Oh, and don't have cats. They produce fly-producing vermin remains. Paradoxical, isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:49:39 pm by MagmaMcFry »

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:04:49 pm »

So, basically, what you're saying is that there is no practical way to get rid of them. Damned. Thanks for the answer

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 05:16:17 pm »

Have all your food in barrels, and have all your refuse hauled away (so don't run out of refuse stockpile room). Until we get pet toads and pet geckos and pet bats and pet spiders to eat flies, that seems to be the only way to keep down the fly problem.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »

Just make your food/refuse stockpile outside, but inside. I mean, not underground that produces miasmaunderground stockpiles are fine,but any [ROTS]* item out of stockpiles will generate miasma that causes serius disgust(bad thoughts) to dwarves. So even food in a workshop will rot. Above ground produces annoying vermin, and some can even rot food in stockpiles. Build a 'house' (with doors!) so no vermin and no miasma is produced, and you have fine control against raccons and that thievers animals. Kobolds can pass through locked/open doors, so put some stupid useless chained animals(or war dogs)near the door, to spot them. If I were you, I butcher all cats. Why? http://df.magmawiki.com/Catsplosion#Part_2:_Getting_rid_of_the_unwanted_cats

Have all your food in barrels, and have all your refuse hauled away (so don't run out of refuse stockpile room). Until we get pet toads and pet geckos and pet bats and pet spiders to eat flies, that seems to be the only way to keep down the fly problem.

Pet geckos! yay! ^-^

*Organic items, like food, body parts, plants, etc.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:59:57 pm by Davichococat »