Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: what to do with coins?  (Read 1426 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what to do with coins?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 05:53:07 pm »

The thing with economy is, all your dwarves will start needing to buy/sell items instead of having them allotted or used-by-need, and also to pay rent on housing. It's needlessly complex for the player, and more often than not results in dwarves becoming deprived of things that they would normally have access to.
Actually, it was more or less invisible to the player as food is cheap (like 5% of the price you'd actually trade it at to caravans) and so long as you made your bedrooms cheap, even the lowly wages of hauling were enough to pay for the cost of living. But it was a 40d thing and Toady wanted to re-do the economy properly so... currently disabled while he makes this next version.

Coins are a relic of the 40d economy. General wisdom was to never ever make them as all your dwarves spent all their time hauling little stacks of coins everywhere. They need wallets basically. Let's see what Toady does with coins in the next version. Until then, they are an extra decorate piece of artwork - neat to look at, no practical use.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 07:28:35 pm »

Question: Did the 40D economy cause much lag?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:50 am »

I think it requires a certain Immigrant Noble to arrive (Immigrant Nobles are broken fixed) and it is in general broken, bugged and useless.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.
Pages: 1 [2]