Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starving in hospitals, a new issue.  (Read 834 times)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starving in hospitals, a new issue.
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:34:49 am »

i have heard alot about dwarves been to lazy to feed prisoners and patients but i have found a whole new bag of fun...

a message spam reading "Urist McDwarf cancels Give Food: No food available"

so they want to feed the starving patients but for some reason cant. any solutions?
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starving in hospitals, a new issue.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:59:00 am »

You might suffer a case of military dwarfs hugging food items, check your food stockpile if it contains an unusual amount of owned food. Check the details of the various items with (k).
I've also had problems with patients not eating prepared meals. So try producing some raw edible stuff (plump helmets, meat, cheese) and not cooking those.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 04:52:48 pm »

You might suffer a case of military dwarfs hugging food items, check your food stockpile if it contains an unusual amount of owned food.

I know that was just a typo, but the notion of military dwarves actually hugging, rather than hogging, food is somehow terrifying.

Although, it *would* explain all those engravings of cheese....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:05:16 pm »

Although hugging their flasks seems reasonable. And as a side note, they will always fill the flask with their favorite beverage.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:09:37 pm »

im not sure if they even fill their flasks with booze, how do i check?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:36:19 pm »

metal/glass  flasks get filled with the booze, if assigned. the elf cursed leather water flasks, get filled with water. to see what they are carrying, view a military dwarfs inventory, then view the flask's contents
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:45:41 am »

huh, i know why they arnt being fed anymore. my cook is dead. so i have 3 store rooms of flower. 1 of raw meat, a pile of booze and no-one to turn it into meals :(

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 03:43:38 am »

hmmm, well i decided to check out what to put in my hospitals. apparently the minimum thread count is 15000 and cloth is 10000, im hoping it's just a glitch and it means 15 thread and 10 cloth...

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:36:22 pm »

Lex, remember, its the amount stored in it, for convienance. they still will get some, from stockpiles outside it. The major thing to store there, is any soap you make.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:51:31 am »

ok, what if you have a hospital basement? i want to be able to keep supplies in a downstairs room, it that possible?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 01:09:32 am »

Actually, it should work. A wounded dwarf gets carried to a hospital bed, which even if your basement storeroom, is designated as a hospital zone also, he/she will be carried to the upper level, with the beds. Since masons will use any shop, open to anyone, guess the medics will too

Sincerely,
The Administration

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:06:20 pm »

yeah, but what im asking is will they use the supplies kept in the basement?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 01:33:48 am »

yeah, but what im asking is will they use the supplies kept in the basement?

probably, since if they don't have supplies in the hospital they'll just grab the nearest ones available.  But a basement is probably unnecessary. 5-8 coffers/bags will probably hold more than enough medical supplies, they don't take up too much room.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 11:42:23 pm »

that is not the point. having an awesome basement area that keeps all the supplies is the point.