Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Night Creatures Are Assholes  (Read 5710 times)

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
Night Creatures Are Assholes
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:50:21 am »

A male elf (Nemile) moves into the town of Waxyhelm, becomes Druid, and meets a sexy, well-endowed female elf (Lapama). They hit it off and not long after, they marry.

Two blissful years of marriage go by and in that time they welcome a daughter named Ile, and a son named Camela. One evening in the early winter of 14, the night creature, Dehuerjie Diecrypts the Grave of Night, attacks the town. Dehuerjie ambushes one elf and slaughters him without mercy. Having not satisfied his lust for death he next sets his sights on 1 year old Ile. Seeing his young daughter in danger Nemile leaps to her rescue and attacks the night creature. After (I imagine) a fierce struggle with Nemile, the night creature retreats, but before leaving the town he abducts Nemile's wife and imprisons her.

Through a dark and twisted ritual, Lapama is transformed into a large humanoid with thin wings and gray, curly hair. 

Two emotional years go by and in the late spring of 18, Nemile meets his nemesis once more and an epic battle ensues. Unfortunately for Nemile he is unable to exact vengence that day for Dehuerjie once more flees from their fight.

In autumn of that same year Nemile is abducted by the night creature Bekor Umbraghosts the Abyssal Ash of Dusks. He is imprisoned and Nemile is twisted and contorted and changed into his new form: a three-eyed humanoid with a long truck and waxy skin of charcoal. That same year, Nemile and Bekor mate and have an abomination of a baby girl named Ozran Tunnelednight.

Fast forward to the year 1050 and Nemile the elf and former Druid of Waxyhelm is long forgotten. His new name and title is Nemile Toothgulf the Skulls of Shade. He never saw his wife again, and he never gained revenge. Instead he is a creature of the night who has killed seventeen and now resides in the lair of Dietombs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Night Creatures Are Assholes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:55:00 am »

And all of this drama was generated procedurally and randomly.

Soon I'll be able to push a button and output a completely usable fantasy roleplaying campaign setting complete with map, quests, factions, and evil critters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 03:56:17 am »

Welcome to dwarf fortress.

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:01:33 am »

Maybe I'm just super nerdy, but when you can have as much fun reading the historical information in Legends as you can in Adventurer or Fortress mode, that's when you know you've found a very solid and generally great game.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:04:12 am »

Well yes. Dwarf fortress isn't a game, it is a standard. Two people made a game more detailed then anything that any main stream company has ever made. Dwarf fortress is to show people what to demand from games, and not accept anything less.

That's not to say every game should be a prodecualy genned RTS, but every game should put unholy levels of detail into there world, as to let immersion overwhelm us.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:06:57 am »

Well yes. Dwarf fortress isn't a game, it is a standard. Two people made a game more detailed then anything that any main stream company has ever made. Dwarf fortress is to show people what to demand from games, and not accept anything less.

That's not to say every game should be a prodecualy genned RTS, but every game should put unholy levels of detail into there world, as to let immersion overwhelm us.
Although how cool would it be to have a procedurally generated RTS? You don't even know what units or races will be available each time you start it up.

You'll hit new game and say "What the hall are Aquafrenacticans?" and then you'll click it and it will be some crazy desert dweller race which rip the water from people's bodies and uses salt and alchemy to build giant walking war machines and you'll be like "Woah Aquafrenacticans are the bomb."

And next time there will be something else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:09:42 am »

Although how cool would it be to have a procedurally generated RTS? You don't even know what units or races will be available each time you start it up.

You'll hit new game and say "What the hall are Aquafrenacticans?" and then you'll click it and it will be some crazy desert dweller race which rip the water from people's bodies and uses salt and alchemy to build giant walking war machines and you'll be like "Woah Aquafrenacticans are the bomb."

And next time there will be something else.

Anything randomly genned is great if you want replay value, but not as good if there is a specific story you want to tell. Most (All in fact, bar one, dwarf fortress) of my favorite games I love for story, rather then replay value. I feel that a genned story wouldn't work out as well.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 04:11:03 am »

Anything randomly genned is great if you want replay value, but not as good if there is a specific story you want to tell. Most (All in fact, bar one, dwarf fortress) of my favorite games I love for story, rather then replay value. I feel that a genned story wouldn't work out as well.
If DF can do it, why not others?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:19:02 am by forsaken1111 »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:17:58 am »

As much as it is cool to hear about the epic story of an elf who became the druid, had a family, had them all slaughtered, had hes wife turned into a monster, failed to kill the monster who pulled this stit, then got turned into a monster himself, if realy does not compair to the emotional value of something like Doukutsu Monogatari.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 04:20:26 am »

As much as it is cool to hear about the epic story of an elf who became the druid, had a family, had them all slaughtered, had hes wife turned into a monster, failed to kill the monster who pulled this stit, then got turned into a monster himself, if realy does not compair to the emotional value of something like Doukutsu Monogatari.
I don't know what that is, and I'm not saying that procedural generation will replace writers. I'm just thinking it could refresh the gameplay a bit.  :)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 04:22:01 am »

He means to say "Cave Story"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 04:22:44 am »

Oh, I've heard about that but never played it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 04:25:25 am »

Well, I say as I mean and I mean as I say. The translation is cave story, but there is no formal translation yet, so realy, I like to call things the name they have been given. I realy liked that game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 04:27:44 am »

Well, I say as I mean and I mean as I say. The translation is cave story, but there is no formal translation yet, so realy, I like to call things the name they have been given. I realy liked that game.
It also helps to call things by the name that people may recognize them as. In this case, putting (cave story) after that would have let me immediately know what you're talking about.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 04:29:58 am »

I didn't know it was commonly called cave story, I have always called it doukutsu monogatari, and my freinds have always known what I was talking about.
Pages: [1] 2 3