Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This game blows my mind...  (Read 4326 times)

Sincartier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: This game blows my mind...
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:44 am »

Further impressions...

Just looked up Military on the wiki and started training a squad finally, since I'd like to hit a cave soon...

A month or two after getting my squad training, a goblin ambush finally arrives.

And then I discover just how graphic the battles are... no wonder people can describe them like epic battles.  This goblin Pikeman kept piercing and wiggling his pike around in my dwarves' wounds.  He kept deflecting hits left and right until one of my war dogs got around and bit his arm, grabbing onto him tightly.  Fighting my dog to get his pike arm free, he got overpowered by what seemed like the rest of my dwarves, presumably done with their own targets.  The goblin got knocked to the ground, still trying to wrench his arm from my dog's jaw.  Axes beat down on him, slicing limb after limb as my dwarves avenged the two soldiers and unlucky baby caught on the battlefield (I'm assuming one of my soldier's baby... nice parenting).  At one point, one of my marksdwarf who I'm pretty sure had been assigned ammo (and still have plenty) decided to go toe to toe with one of the goblins.  He grabbed him by the neck with his right arm and scratched the nails off his right foot through his shoes with his other arm.  The goblin tried to beat on the dwarf, soon losing his breath as my dwarf tightened his grip on his neck and strangled him.  The goblin passed out and a full page of strangulation followed (I have yet to check if maybe that was the parent of the dead baby, that could explain the insanity of the kill).

I've never had as much fun reading pages of battle reports.

This is the fortress I've played the longest, about 4 years in I think... 
- I've got a mayor now, he's got nice quarters.
- On the sixth floor down, I've built a shrine with a crypt.  Coffins are neatly placed inside amidst statues and engravings.  At the back of the crypt is a completely engraved marble tomb with a new Artifact Coffin inside it the first dwarf who finds himself worthy in the afterlife.
- I've got a neat hospital, though it's missing supplies since I'm not quite sure yet how to stock it properly.
- I've got a bunch of idle people, I should start using the Manager more I guess?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:48:04 am »

- I've got a bunch of idle people, I should start using the Manager more I guess?
No, it means you have 2 options:
1) Start a mega project.
2) Make them collect leftovers from goblin attacks - if you're 'lucky' enough to attract lots of goblins, practically all idler time can be spent just hauling all this stuff into the fort just as the next set of goblins show up.

Congratulations, you can now worry about mass idlers - that's a definite milestone as it means you can survive.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mkombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 09:05:39 am »

Man you guys are so welcoming. I just came to these forums a few weeks ago and you made me feel right at home. Though I've barely posted, I lurk through these forums a lot. It's so pleasant to see a crowd such as yourselves. I'm a proud DF player and member of the forums. And I do agree, I do feel like I'm part of some club, an awesome one. Welcome Sincartier! I loved your detailed battle analysis there, I was able to picture it, and that was epic!

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 09:25:02 am »

Man you guys are so welcoming. I just came to these forums a few weeks ago and you made me feel right at home. Though I've barely posted, I lurk through these forums a lot. It's so pleasant to see a crowd such as yourselves. I'm a proud DF player and member of the forums. And I do agree, I do feel like I'm part of some club, an awesome one. Welcome Sincartier! I loved your detailed battle analysis there, I was able to picture it, and that was epic!

And im proud to have people be proud of us!  :P
And welcome, sincarter, to Bay 12! Feel free to try our kitten roasts and barrels of puppy blood!
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:57 am »

That kitten roast is made of masterfully minced kitten, yes?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 09:54:07 am »

Further impressions...

Just looked up Military on the wiki and started training a squad finally, since I'd like to hit a cave soon...

A month or two after getting my squad training, a goblin ambush finally arrives.

And then I discover just how graphic the battles are... no wonder people can describe them like epic battles.  This goblin Pikeman kept piercing and wiggling his pike around in my dwarves' wounds.  He kept deflecting hits left and right until one of my war dogs got around and bit his arm, grabbing onto him tightly.  Fighting my dog to get his pike arm free, he got overpowered by what seemed like the rest of my dwarves, presumably done with their own targets.  The goblin got knocked to the ground, still trying to wrench his arm from my dog's jaw.  Axes beat down on him, slicing limb after limb as my dwarves avenged the two soldiers and unlucky baby caught on the battlefield (I'm assuming one of my soldier's baby... nice parenting).  At one point, one of my marksdwarf who I'm pretty sure had been assigned ammo (and still have plenty) decided to go toe to toe with one of the goblins.  He grabbed him by the neck with his right arm and scratched the nails off his right foot through his shoes with his other arm.  The goblin tried to beat on the dwarf, soon losing his breath as my dwarf tightened his grip on his neck and strangled him.  The goblin passed out and a full page of strangulation followed (I have yet to check if maybe that was the parent of the dead baby, that could explain the insanity of the kill).

I've never had as much fun reading pages of battle reports.

This is the fortress I've played the longest, about 4 years in I think... 
- I've got a mayor now, he's got nice quarters.
- On the sixth floor down, I've built a shrine with a crypt.  Coffins are neatly placed inside amidst statues and engravings.  At the back of the crypt is a completely engraved marble tomb with a new Artifact Coffin inside it the first dwarf who finds himself worthy in the afterlife.
- I've got a neat hospital, though it's missing supplies since I'm not quite sure yet how to stock it properly.
And I'm guessing you haven't even gotten around to trying adventure mode yet? There's a lot more to see and be amazed by. ;)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »

Sincartier has thrown a party at the This game blows my mind... thread.

;)
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »

That kitten roast is made of masterfully minced kitten, yes?

Mixed in with Forgotten Beast body parts and remains... made of vomit.

(http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74682.msg1870299#msg1870299)

;)
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »

I love these threads.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sincartier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 05:00:32 pm »

As a matter of fact, I decided to check Adventure mode yesterday and just slowly getting used to it.  Did my first quest in a small 20 square cave.  Looted, got out and night hit me before I could back to village.   Got back, asked to sleep for the night and did so.  Just saved and haven't done much.  It was pretty late and I still got plans for Fortress mode... mostly making a wall around my entrance with guard towers and also expanding my refuse stockpile.

Am I just supposed to wait for stuff to decompose over time or is there a more final way of getting rid of refuse?  I really need to get butcherin' (place is crawling with cats) and I'm afraid I'll be overflowing with kitty parts pretty soon.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 06:24:58 pm »

Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 06:40:27 pm »

It's kind of sad that you won't get to experience bloodrage elephants, rat leather backpack-beatdown or carp infestation.
I advice you to read up some memorable df moments etc.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 06:54:41 pm »

You should check out what is, IMHO, the funniest of the pages on the DF wiki:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Unfortunate_accident

EDIT: huh... looks like it changed since I was last there... still pretty funny though.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:59:37 pm by morikal »

Sincartier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 09:52:00 pm »

It's kind of sad that you won't get to experience bloodrage elephants, rat leather backpack-beatdown or carp infestation.
I advice you to read up some memorable df moments etc.

I can't say I've run into any carps but CaptDuck made a big case out of them on his embark, people got torn apart in the river.  As for bloodrage elephants?  I'm guessing that's a reference to Boatmurdered?  I've started reading it between calls at work.  Otherwise, the 'Dear Urist' thread is cracking me up, the highlight so far being:
"Dear UristMcLegendary Cheesemaker,

You arrived this fall in the fourth migration our fine fortress of Trotglen has seen. You were alone, and this was a relief to us, as we don't need more immigrants. It must have been a long and arduous trek and we offer our condolences.

You arrived as a legendary Cheese Maker. Being a legendary cheese maker is very commendable, as being legendary in any other profession is. We regret to inform you that our economy is not agrarian in the sense that we need someone to make us legendary cheese. We realize you must have spent all eighty-four years of your life training to become what you are, and we respect that. We also respect the fact that you journeyed here alone, through miles of evil landscape, and managed to get past many an undead beasty just to get here in one piece, just to offer us your services.

But to get straight to the point Urist, from next month out, you will be expected to report to stone detailing duty, every day, for the rest of your life. We hope you understand our position on this.

Regards,
Management"

A few more have really made me laugh.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 10:21:53 pm »

Am I just supposed to wait for stuff to decompose over time or is there a more final way of getting rid of refuse?  I really need to get butcherin' (place is crawling with cats) and I'm afraid I'll be overflowing with kitty parts pretty soon.

Dig channel over magma sea.
Designate pit.
Throw kittens in pit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3