Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: This game blows my mind...  (Read 4327 times)

Sincartier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
This game blows my mind...
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:06:06 am »

Just discovered this gem a week ago and haven't been able to put it down.  I thought I'd enumerate the things seen and done that keep surprising me with the depth of this game.

- Discovering early on how deep the generated content was, namely the dwarf descriptions and moods.  How they react to their surroundings and the adjectives they use (After being overwhelmed with migrants (~60 total dwarves), I find that in my new fortress, my dwarves call my dining hall legendary, flattering).

- Playing a little and discovering a few things (through play or watching a new CaptDuck episode) and not minding having to restart your fortress anew.

- Being fascinated by the concept of strange moods after looking it up on the wiki... after having one of my dwarves go insane because I wasn't sure what to make of his secretive doodlings.

- Looking at all that stone stockpiled and a bunch of idle dwarves, and suddenly I decide to try putting in some flooring... and wasting the next hour or two making my halls awesome.  Going so far as putting in statues after wondering what to keep my mason occupied with.

- Starting a new fortress to find myself in a field of snow near a hill to dig in, making my fortress and preparing my farms next to a frozen pond next to the frozen river... which my wagon is standing on.  I start to get antsy and put down my stockpiles, knowing somehow that my time is short, being my first experience on a snowed-in map.  Alas, I get distracted enough to A) not be done with the unloading of the wagon and B) not setting a meeting area.  The ice melts and 2-3 idle dwarves and food supplies drown... and maybe another who dived in to save our supplies.  I abandon the fortress and decide to try reclaiming for the first time.

- Reclaiming and finding my fortress in disrepair, neat touch, I'm thinking.  Then finding out a little later in the winter that the ghost of one of my old dwarves is still haunting the river, awesome!  (He later claimed a coffin I put down for a melancholic dwarf who let himself die of thirst.  Then put another coffin down for the corpse of the dead.)

- Starting a map to find myself next to a river and a steep hillside.  I find the spot neat, until I check the river next the hillside entrance of my fortress... the river is there, and suddenly it disappears a level down, nowhere to be found.  I keep going down and seeing the hillside unravel to the south with still no trace of the river... to find it again 9 levels down.  A randomly generated waterfall!!!  In 2D! And I can still picture how awesome it is while seeing only 1 level at a time.

- EDIT: Finding posts like this: "I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful." and knowing it's not just the guy being funny but actually believing that description is in the game.

- And this is still called 0.31?!

I need to donate 10$ as soon as I can.  Notch got my money, and Toady definately deserves it too.  I have yet to get into the military stuff, megamonsters and exploring caves too.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:16:04 am by Sincartier »

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
Re: This game blows my mind...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:09:39 am »

welcome to dwarf fortess and remember losing is fun
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 03:24:52 am »

welcome to dwarf fortess and remember losing is fun

But gory deaths are hysterical!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:29:24 am »

Welcome, dear newblet! May your booze barrels always be full and your cheese be plentiful.
くコ:彡

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 03:30:03 am »

A migrant has arrived.

I sure hope you know how to survive in magma :P

J/k, welcome aboard the forum!
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:41:19 am »

Welcome, dear newblet! May your booze barrels always be full and your cheese be plentiful.

Or not, considering tantrum spirals are part of the Fun.  :P

If you like depth, I recommend checking the Note to Urist thread and the Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments thread
And remember, Dwarves love eating carp.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:19:21 am »

Welcome to the !!FUN!!. Be careful with detailing your fortress - I remember an old fort where I carved out expanse hallways with 5x5 Diagonal pillars alongside it - It took forever to smooth and engrave - did I mention it was 10 Z levels * 30x40? (See what I am getting at? ;D)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 05:09:09 am »

- Looking at all that stone stockpiled and a bunch of idle dwarves, and suddenly I decide to try putting in some flooring... and wasting the next hour or two making my halls awesome.  Going so far as putting in statues after wondering what to keep my mason occupied with.

wait until you discover blocks.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 05:21:13 am »

Ahh, the good old days when I had nothing but child-like curiosity and cheer for this game. Digging an inefficient 1-tile corridor fort in soil layers(because I didn't know how you moved between z-levels, staircase-wise I mean(how could you NOT understand that, seriously)), channeling an indoor pond for fishing/pool because I could, and of course, the horribly inefficient channeling to connect all the outdoor ponds in order to get water where I wanted.

Now THAT was one messed up fort that I fondly regard, because it had my first mood too.
Churned out a steel bed.

I gave it to the creator who was happy like no other dorf until eventual abandoning.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 08:53:11 am »

Also, OP, your list will continue to expand - and eventually include this item:

-  Watching new people come to the game and discover all the things you discovered when you were new, thus letting you enjoy the 'HOLY CRAP' moments all over again. :)

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:22:50 am »

Seconded.

Welcome!

When I see a new player, it's amazing, because DF is like a special little club, with a very, very hard bouncer at the front.  Once your inside though, you never want to go anywhere else.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 05:33:35 pm »

Sincartier, welcome to one of the greatest computer games of all time. And you are getting in early, before most of the game is actually in the game. Way to go, early adopter! Just imagine the tales you'll have to tell the newbies in 30 or 40 years...
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 01:18:41 pm »

Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful." and knowing it's not just the guy being funny but actually believing that description is in the game.
But that description really IS in the game.
Pretty much anything that can be constructed can also have a detailed engraving on it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:20:39 pm by bucket »

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 01:53:29 pm »

Tell me, how much pride you felt after building your first towers.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Doc_LaKock

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken bones? Brb soap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »

Tell me, how much pride you felt after building your first towers.

THIS SO MUCH.
I always loved castles as a kid and when I finished my 5 z-level tall towers with fortifications, I couldn't help but go on and create a 15 z-level one for dropping prisoners onto spears.

After hard work and 28 an irrelevant number of casualties, they're still standing today  :)

Welcome to the community!
Goblins have no sense of humor. Therefore clowns hate them.
Pages: [1] 2 3