Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's a cartoon about banking  (Read 545 times)

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
It's a cartoon about banking
« on: January 07, 2011, 01:01:50 am »

...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: It's a cartoon about banking
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:01:05 am »

Amusing, but obviously not very accurate.

Main point is that America is overcapitalized, well we all knew that.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:31:56 am »

No, its just more anti-Federal Reserve sentiment. It's nonsensical and displays staggering ignorance of the financial system or the role of fiscal policy. Just more of that Ron Paul-style misinformation.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:49:46 am »

From what little I watched, I thought the message was "People are stupid and try to live above their means."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:53:17 am »

The presentation leaves a lot to be desired.  Why did they repo his dog?  Why does the Shaft-ripoff have the time machine?  Why are the voices so bad?

Yeah, the lending process explanation is not really how banking works.  It's how a highschool textbook might explain economics.  Certainly the Federal Treasury has some blame of its own, which really shouldn't be surprising when you put the biggest names in banking in charge of making the rules on banks.  But I love the return of the classic "the market crashed because people made loans they knew they couldn't afford" explanation, and not massive over inflation of the housing market.  Or the continuing issue of banks foreclosing on homes that aren't even over-extended, because they know credit courts will sign off on absolutely any repossession notice.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it would be a different cartoon (I'm not sure why, because it's not really about banking), which I might as well share.  Industrial re-capitalization explained, starting around 4:50.  Yes, that's Elmer Fudd as a shoe-making elf, talking in a weird slow voice about the great and wonderful virtues of Capitalism.  If you're wondering why it's called "Yankee Dood It", it was made in 1956 so you figure it out.  And I do love the irony that to watch the full version of a Warner Brothers cartoon, I had to go to a Russian website.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.