Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfwash and losing babies  (Read 392 times)

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfwash and losing babies
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:50 pm »

So I've got my awesome Dwarfwash/waterfall setup in my lovely dining room, Multiple water exit points with 2 next to the entry, and 2 more near the tables.

But when ever a dwarf wanders near the waterfall while carrying a baby it gets washed out of their hands and I get an endless McUrist Cancels stuff: Seeking infant spam.

The waterfall was a bit of a mess and took a fair few modifications to stop it flooding my dining hall. The water is sourced from a 9-tile wide river and has a bloody decent amount of pressure behind it. I'm guessing its this amount of pressure thats causing problems since i've not had this problem in other forts.

I've tried reducing the pressure using diagonals (even setup a big chess board type setup but nothing seems to stop this unrelenting flow of water.

Is my only option to re-route the water and use a pump somewhere between the river and the waterfall?
so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfwash and losing babies
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:19:58 am »

Make a mist generator.

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:39:32 am »

Dont you worry it generates a metric tonne of mist :)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:41:57 am »

Here is my design for a 'safe' dwarfwash. I am not responsible for any dead babies.  ;)

Level +1
Code: [Select]
====+===
|.%%  ¢+
====+===

. channel
=,| wall
%% pump
¢ hatch
Pretty much a screw pump leading to a closed floor hatch. The +'s are fortifications so at any given time, the depth of water of the hatch is ~3.

Level 0
Code: [Select]
     |o|
=====|#|
| %%.|#|
=====|#|
     |^|

|,= wall
o lever
# floor grate
^ pressure plate

Profile the lever so only the dirty dwarf can pull it. He will enter the corridor, triggering the pressure plate which will drop a pool of water on the grates, which should wash him off. The water drains back into the reservoir.

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:51:25 am »

Was mainly wanting it run all the time (should of said mist generator in the title), to keep my little buggers as happy as possible.

Will try and modify it tonight using a pump to drop the pressure. Otherwise they will just have to hold onto their kids tighter.