Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "No access" to half of my fort  (Read 1695 times)

kwaffles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"No access" to half of my fort
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:57:01 pm »

Hello all. Long(ish) time lurker, first time poster. I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for a few weeks and I've finally run into a problem whose answer I can't find on the wiki. I'm not sure if its a bug or if I'm just doing something wrong.

To put it simply, my fort seems split into two sections. Dwarfs can travel between these sections but I'm unable to transport items across the "borders". If a bed is in the top half I can't build it in the bottom half (I get a 'no access' message). If a type of rock is in one section I can't build a wall out of it in the other section (it doesn't show up in the materials list). Dwarfs refuse to dump items or move items to stockpiles across the imaginary border, however they are perfectly willing to cross the border for other purposes (eating and sleeping, the lazy slobs). The border doesn't seem to created between z levels.

I tried reloading from an earlier save and everything was fine... until all of a sudden it happened again. Anything I can do? Thanks!

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "No access" to half of my fort
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:10:03 pm »

since it happened suddenly i think it's not a issue with burrows(what was my first assumption). Altough might be worth to check it out, if you know what a burrow is, try deleting then all and see if it fixes the issue, if you don't know what they are, press w+d untill the list is cleared(if there was anything on it) and check if it solves the problem.

water maybe? they can't cross somewhere if the water is 4/7 or more, maybe you was flooding the farm? altough it won't explain why they can cross when they are not doing anything important

other than that i can't think of anything...

kwaffles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:17:39 pm »

Thanks! I actually just figured out why they won't cross (I should have fiddled with it a bit more before asking) but not how the hell it happened.

One floor of my central staircase suddenly changed from up/down into just a downwards staircase. I know I didn't build it like that (or else how were my dwarves able to use it all the time?) so it must have just.... changed. Even after reloading the save game it changed again. Anyways I figured out a temporary work around. Thanks!

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:37:31 pm »

Did you remove any other upwards stairs, up/down stairs, or ramps? You may have accidentally selected your main stair while designating other stairs/ramps to be removed.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

kwaffles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:17:38 am »

Err... now that you mention it I may have mass designated some ramps to be removed in that very room.
Every single time I reloaded the save.

... Thank you for your help 

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 05:00:19 am »

Err... now that you mention it I may have mass designated some ramps to be removed in that very room.
Every single time I reloaded the save.

... Thank you for your help
hoho this happens to me often. last time 3 my legendary miners starved to death before they got out

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:16:06 am »

Yeah... sometimes these problems have you scratching your head for hours, wondering if you've hit a bug in the game; and then suddenly you realize what you're doing wrong.

Case in point: Yesterday, in my current fort, I hit what I thought for sure was a game-bug. I've been building a dodge-em trap leading up to my fort entrance... a narrow walkway covered in weapon traps, passing over a wide, deep and broad pit. The idea is to make invaders dodge the weapon traps and fall off the walkway into the pit. I channeled and ramped my way down six levels, excavating the pit... most of the way through sand, but the last couple of levels through stone. Digging a temporary tunnel out of the bottom of the pit, I bulk-designated all the loose stones for dumping, intending to cover the bottom of the pit with spikes. None of my Dwarves would touch the loose stones. I had masses of Dwarves standing idle in the meeting hall, with the dumping labor enabled... but they wouldn't touch the stones. I was actually logging on to this forum to report the "bug" when it suddenly hit me: Wait a minute... it's a PIT! I've removed all the over-burden, six levels down from the surface! I'M OUTSIDE!! My Dwarves don't have the "collect rubbish from outdoors" option enabled... D'oh!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:17:51 am by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.