Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Recettear - Item Shop Owner  (Read 7662 times)

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
Re: Recettear - Item Shop Owner
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:19 am »

I had a lot of fun playing this, just now got to endless mode. The only beef I have with the game is with the combat, and I think the game would have been much more enjoyable if fighting was turn-based as it generally is in classic roguelikes. Other than that, it was cute and addictive  :)
I could see a turn based combat working, but I think something similar to Final Fantasy Tactics would work better than a roguelike combat system.  I mean, it's a JRPG...I dunno.  What they chose works nicely for something really simple.

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 12:02:16 pm »

Turn based is not approriate for this game, I believe.

With real time we can run around like crazy and leave pursuers behind. TB cant give us that option...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 12:14:04 pm »

What? Turn-based most definitely can allow you to outrun pursuers. Just have to let th'player move faster/further than the non-players.

I'd love to see someone go ASCII-demake on Recettear, turn based and everything. It's already a sorta-RL, so it wouldn't take much to go the rest of the way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 12:24:48 pm »

yes it can work, I run away from mobs all the time in Elona for example.

But, yeah I guess this is more JRPG like than lets say Elona, so maybe FF Tactics-like would be better, if it kept the random dungeons
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 01:08:13 pm »

Holy crap, the weekly payment amounts sure do go up quickly!  10 to 30 to 80 to 200!!??  How much money did my stupid dad borrow, anyway?

EDIT: What are the odds of a gnoll dropping one of those charred lizards? The giant rat boss didn't drop one and I've been fighting gnolls for ages and never seen one...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:17:25 pm by Sappho »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 02:09:04 pm »

Holy crap, the weekly payment amounts sure do go up quickly!  10 to 30 to 80 to 200!!??  How much money did my stupid dad borrow, anyway?

EDIT: What are the odds of a gnoll dropping one of those charred lizards? The giant rat boss didn't drop one and I've been fighting gnolls for ages and never seen one...

Remember when Tear told you you'd faint if she told you the total amount? Well, yeah.  :P

Gnolls almost never drop those stupid lizards. However, once you beat the dungeon, you'll unlock the 'boss rush', which is exactly what you'd think - all 3 bosses in a row. Which means it's easy to farm the rat until he gives you what you want.  ;)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 03:41:19 am »

Sure, I get great deals on those items, but they never sell. I've got three thankful idols that have been sitting on the shelves for ages. What am I doing wrong here?

Treasures never sell.  Except for pre-orders, requests, and two special events that boost their desirability to certain customer types.  Don't put them on the shelves; feel free to turn the seller down by offering 1 pix for them.  (That breaks your combo and irritates the customer a bit.)

Same for books.  Stock a few cheap ones for requests, don't give them shelf space, if a certain special event occurs, head for the market and buy like 30 copies of the cheapies/midrange, put books on most of your shelves, and sell sell sell to get a massive experience chain.

Without analyzing the dialogue before the price setting part of buying/selling an item, there's absolutely no way to tell (that I can find) whether you are bidding to buy or sell the item.  [...]  Is there any way to tell the difference after you've gotten to the price selection screen? That really ought to be clear...

I think the tell is yellow text means you're buying, white means you're selling.  (But I didn't fire up the game to check.)

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 03:54:47 am »

Treasures sell plenty!  You just need to get your customer trust high enough that they have the money for them, towards the beginning of the game your more expensive things won't sell, and they are pointless sitting on the in-store shelves.  Even though they may not sell, though, always put your most expensive items in the window, as the more expensive items there, the more people will come to your store!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:22 pm »

This game is so addictive...

If you want to min-max your merchant skills, there's a great Recettear Wikia page. But if you'd like to play a bit by ear, these are good guidelines:

When people sell things to you, they like around 66% of the base price for normal white items, and 33% for blue items. If you don't care about the XP, i've rarely seen anyone refuse to sell to you at 56% or more. The little girl probably wants slightly more.

Most customers like to pay around 104% of the base price for Near/Just Pin. There are some exceptions, like the Old Man whose sweet spot is around 108%, a couple others are around 105-106%. Red items have the greatest variation here, so either ask for around 230-250% if you don't care, check the Wikia page for "exact" percents (these are a bit iffy but work sometimes).

It's possible that rep affects the amount, so if they don't know you that well, ask for a bit less than 104%.

The "pin" bonus is nice but it's just dressing for the real C-c-combo one. Does make the rep raise higher I think.

What I do once I have enough money is: always have at least 1 of every item that is white at the market/guild, 3 or more for the most basic version of each item as a reserve - don't put these on display, or even offer them unless you're out of more expensive stuff (possible exception of food which you'll probably having a ton of anyway, everyone is always selling you food and there's lots in dungeons... also don't buy treasures, maybe the cheapest ones just in case), I don't buy red items unless I'm sure I'm going to sell it right away. And stock up on blue items. Right now I try to maintain a stock of around 5 items for each blue item.

EDIT: Note that if during the "main quest" you avoid meeting Euria, she won't pester you with her scams. You'll miss one dungeon this way, but if you can live with that until the last debt payment, apparently she never returns.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:31:45 pm by Sergius »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 06:56:10 pm »

Most customers like to pay around 104% of the base price for Near/Just Pin. There are some exceptions, like the Old Man whose sweet spot is around 108%, a couple others are around 105-106%. Red items have the greatest variation here, so either ask for around 230-250% if you don't care, check the Wikia page for "exact" percents (these are a bit iffy but work sometimes).
For red items, I just double my normal quote, for blue I halve what I'm willing to pay.  I think this is conservative actually, I suspect that the multiplier is 2.1 or something similar.

Also note that some customers are bipolar.  I'm especially thinking of Louie, who will sometimes "really want this" but he's "broke this week."  If the item is something that will boost his adventuring stats, sell at 80% or even less.

The same for getting top-end gear into the hands of a new adventurer.  I remember selling a Hurricane Bow to Elf Girl (Tielle?) for less than 1000 pix.  I did not regret it one bit.

It's possible that rep affects the amount, so if they don't know you that well, ask for a bit less than 104%.
Reputation does affect the prices, but 104% is a good starting point.  Once they really like you, most customer types will Near Pin at 108% fairly reliably.

Incidentally, if you watch their facial expressions, you get hints on whether they paid more or less than their Pin price.  The expressions are a better tell than the dialog, because Woman, for instance, can give the same dialog for above-but-near and below-but-near.

EDIT: Note that if during the "main quest" you avoid meeting Euria, she won't pester you with her scams. You'll miss one dungeon this way, but if you can live with that until the last debt payment, apparently she never returns.
That's... very interesting.  Maybe I'll try that if I ever restart again.  You just don't go to the plaza events?  Where did you find this out?  Official forums, Steam forums, other location?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 08:33:40 pm »

For red items, I just double my normal quote, for blue I halve what I'm willing to pay.  I think this is conservative actually, I suspect that the multiplier is 2.1 or something similar.

Also note that some customers are bipolar.  I'm especially thinking of Louie, who will sometimes "really want this" but he's "broke this week."  If the item is something that will boost his adventuring stats, sell at 80% or even less.

The same for getting top-end gear into the hands of a new adventurer.  I remember selling a Hurricane Bow to Elf Girl (Tielle?) for less than 1000 pix.  I did not regret it one bit.

Reputation does affect the prices, but 104% is a good starting point.  Once they really like you, most customer types will Near Pin at 108% fairly reliably.

Incidentally, if you watch their facial expressions, you get hints on whether they paid more or less than their Pin price.  The expressions are a better tell than the dialog, because Woman, for instance, can give the same dialog for above-but-near and below-but-near.

That's... very interesting.  Maybe I'll try that if I ever restart again.  You just don't go to the plaza events?  Where did you find this out?  Official forums, Steam forums, other location?

The "just pin" is a value that is randomly generated, so it can vary from 101% to 107% even if they like you a lot already, I think, so 104 is just a middle point and thus more likely. Maybe after a bit this averages more to 108% but I'm not sure. The old guy almost always accepts 108% as a near pin and his rep isn't exactly higher than anyone else's.

I sold a harp bow to Tielle after 3 tries, she had a smallish budget yet, so I ended up lowering it to 50% or so and she got it. Yeah, it's more important to perma-equip the adventurers properly than to profit from them.

I found the Euria stuff on the Wiki. You can start a "New Game +" if you want to try again without invoking Euria. It's also the only way to collect all the True Cards.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 10:13:53 pm »

I generally don't like to read tips but all of yours would have saved me. First play through and I bought a bunch of treasures and vases from customers and barely scraped by on the 3rd payment, so I'm gonna have to start over i think. (sigh)
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:42 pm »

If you "lose", you just start at day 2, but all the progress won't reset (you'll have to re-recruit the adventurers, but their levels, items, your item stock, etc, and I think "friendliness level" will stay the same, with the possible exception of your money) making it easier the second "time".

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 10:27:15 pm »

If you "lose", you just start at day 2, but all the progress won't reset (you'll have to re-recruit the adventurers, but their levels, items, your item stock, etc, and I think "friendliness level" will stay the same, with the possible exception of your money) making it easier the second "time".

Bottom line: If you can't make a payment, blow all your remaining cash on items to make your next attempt go more smoothly.

It's also generally a good idea to have a spare charred lizard, slime liver and bat wing in storage at all times since Caillou pays a sizable bonus on his order if you have the items on hand when he first arrives in the shop.
... and then it explodes!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 01:36:37 am »

How much IS the total amount? Spoiler it for those who don't want to see it, but I do.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5