Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Recettear - Item Shop Owner  (Read 7657 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Recettear - Item Shop Owner
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 03:20:11 pm »

Hm... I've been playing this game for the last few hours straight, and I like it a lot, but I'm getting pretty frustrated about customers refusing to buy items, claiming they are too expensive.  Especially the "man" storms out of the shop if I try to sell as low as 105% of the base value. I started at 114%, and when he refused, I lowered it to 105%.  How the hell am I supposed to sell anything like this?

It also seems that they're willing to spend more if the item is on the shelves than if they ask for it from my inventory.  The "man" happily pays 130% for items he takes off the shelf.  Why the sudden ridiculous stinginess if I get the item out of the back room?

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 03:25:14 pm »

People have both a price range and a markup range, if either is too high they won't buy I think.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 03:27:13 pm »

It all depends on how much money the person has. A customer only has X money available to spend; even if the price you're charging is a reasonable markup, it doesn't matter if they can't pay that much. If a customer brings in something off the shelf, they're guaranteed to have enough money to cover the markup, so you don't have to worry; if you're always recommending the most expensive item in your inventory when they ask for something (or, worse, filling their advance orders with two of the most expensive item in your inventory!), then you'll often end up charging more than they can pay.  :(

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 03:37:20 pm »

Hmm... Is there any way to tell how much money they have before offering a price? I just had two rejections in a row at the base price without any markup at all...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 03:39:13 pm »

In general, keep an eye for when the heart pops up over customers. As it pops up, they'll bring more and more money into the store. Don't offer up your most expensive items either, those should be on display instead.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 06:27:07 pm »

People have both a price range and a markup range, if either is too high they won't buy I think.
Ah, is that why the little girl is SO GODDAMNED STINGY?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 06:29:18 pm »

Yeah, she seems to have maybe 150 money and like a 110% markup range. (Just guessing.)
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 06:40:11 pm »

Yeah, she seems to have maybe 150 money and like a 110% markup range. (Just guessing.)

I can usually nudge her up to ~115%, although I'm not certain if it goes up over time. She also seems to whine horribly, demand lower prices, and then break your combo.  >:(

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 06:47:49 pm »

Am I the only one that likes the little girls?  :-\
Just dump the cheapest item you've got on you for 103-104% and get an easy just bonus and combo boost.

The base price for a regular fleece muffler is 12k, and I buy it from the market at 8.4, so I gain anyway. In the long run you'll be making more money since quantity > quality.

That Euria though...

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:49 pm »

Aye, little girls are designed for cheap stuffs.

If you want pure profit, buy things in blues and sell them in ATMs. Red stuffs should be sold personally.

Generally,, the game is hardest at first run. Subsequent it's easier. Especially after you maximized the shop and replace half the tables with ATMs.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »

That Euria though...

C-c-c-combo breaker!  Hate that witch.

A strategy I found very useful the second time I started from scratch:

Don't squeeze the customers for every last pix.  Offer prices low enough that they take your first offer, every time.

You gain extra shopkeeper experience this way.  It starts low, but it builds up, doubling each time up to 128, as long as the "chain" is not broken.

So if you have nine customers buy something, instead of getting 9*10 = 90 experience, you can get 9*10 + (2+4+8+16+32+64+128+128+128) = 600 experience.

Then throw in a Just Pin at 30 bonus points, and maybe 6 Near Pins at 15 each, and get 720 experience.

This has two effects: it levels up your merchant rating so you can buy better items from the wholesalers, and it makes your customers' satisfaction grow faster, so they can afford the better items.

So find the sweet spot for each customer type, and hit that spot reliably.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 06:09:56 am »

Right now I'm less concerned with leveling up my shop (I'm up to level 9 now) and more concerned with making my loan payments. I'm having a hard time making any money. It's becoming rare that customers want an item off the shelves. Most of the time they ask for something specific (and I have to give them something cheap or risk them not having the money) or want to sell me something. Sure, I get great deals on those items, but they never sell. I've got three thankful idols that have been sitting on the shelves for ages. What am I doing wrong here?

EDIT: I've discovered a major problem with this game. Without analyzing the dialogue before the price setting part of buying/selling an item, there's absolutely no way to tell (that I can find) whether you are bidding to buy or sell the item.  Occasionally I see "what should I pay?" above the price selection, but most of the time it's something ambiguous like "how much?"  I just accidentally sold an item at a ridiculously low price when I thought I was buying it.  I've also broken combos by bidding high on an item I thought they were buying but they were actually selling. Is there any way to tell the difference after you've gotten to the price selection screen? That really ought to be clear...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:48:02 am by Sappho »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 10:22:10 am »

That has happened to me too :-[
Otherwise have you tried selling stuff that noone will get (thankfulllll statueeeeeesss!!) to shops?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 10:32:35 am »

That has happened to me too :-[
Otherwise have you tried selling stuff that noone will get (thankfulllll statueeeeeesss!!) to shops?
What you want to do is save that stuff for when your merchant level is high enough to get vending machines, they sell whatever you put in them for pure base price, but anything that sells from them is always over and above any sales you'd normally get for the day.

It's ALWAYS better to get exp than cash, if you're coming that close to a loan payment where you're having to charge prices that might force you to haggle, you're screwed later on even if you manage your next payment.

EDIT: Oh, but even so it 'aint worth buying from Euria ever unless you're on endless mode and she has something you really want for fusion.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 10:46:22 am »

I had a lot of fun playing this, just now got to endless mode. The only beef I have with the game is with the combat, and I think the game would have been much more enjoyable if fighting was turn-based as it generally is in classic roguelikes. Other than that, it was cute and addictive  :)
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5